The Para 3 LW: Features or “Bugs”?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

The Para 3 LW: Features or “Bugs”?

Post by MichaelScott »

What has the Para 3 LW got that the Para 3 doesn’t? Well, first, it is light in comparison with the “regular” Para 3. It is thinner in hand and the FRN is way more grippy than G10. The lightweight has no liners, rather just enough steel to support the same compression lock as they both have. The blade shapes are the same, although the washed finish on the lightweight is different as is the steel. The handle contours are different as are the clips, wire for the lightweight which only is positional for tip up, left or right. The LW has only one washer where the “regular” Para 3 has two but has no pivot bushing.

The lightweight is less expensive.

I don’t like it.

I have had both. There are many technical reasons to prefer the less expensive, possibly more “advanced” build and components in the lightweight. But, when it comes to knife in hand, my hand prefers the heavier, solid feel of the G10 over the lightweight.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Re: The Para 3 LW: Features or “Bugs”?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I agree that, while very similar is some regards, they are different in others. I own both and like both. Same with all the other models I have that are offered in both G10 & FRN versions (Manix 2, Native 5, Delica, Dragonfly, etc).

Like Sal says....all good, just different
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Different strokes. The Para 3 LW SE has been my around the house carry since I got it earlier this summer. I have absolutely no interest in the G10 Para 3.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

On other models - the native, the Manix - I prefer the g10 version. But when it comes to the para3, I prefer the lightweight. I think the blade fits better with the slimmer more contoured design, and the overall package carries so much better, and fits so much better in my hand, than the kinda boxy para3 in g10.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I’m not a fan of the G10 Para 3. It’s dimensions and weight are so similar to a PM2 I’d rather have the extra blade length of the PM2. The Para 3 LW, however, is significantly lighter and has a wire clip which I prefer. Add in the better ergos with the more contoured handles and I much prefer the LW to the G10 version. It’s unique enough to fill a different niche than the PM2.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:06 pm
I’m not a fan of the G10 Para 3. It’s dimensions and weight are so similar to a PM2 I’d rather have the extra blade length of the PM2. The Para 3 LW, however, is significantly lighter and has a wire clip which I prefer. Add in the better ergos with the more contoured handles and I much prefer the LW to the G10 version. It’s unique enough to fill a different niche than the PM2.
I prefer the solid feel and so-called ergonomics (not a useful concept for two generally flat slabs screwed together) of the G10 et al and I don’t want a longer blade. Shorter, and more reasonable in an edc blade length, and similarities with the Para Military 2 are some reasons the Para 3 is so popular.

The Para 3 LW is, well, a lightweight.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

For me it's mostly about the carry.

I have a little valet tray with all my Spydercos lined up and more and more I just grab the lightest weight knife I think I can get away with for the day. The other day I only carried the G-10 Dragonfly all day. Today was only the Native 5.

I love the G-10 Para 3, and really really enjoy the feel of the one I have with Micarta scales. But most days my EDC knife sits in my pocket as a barrier to getting my wallet out, and the Para 3 LW does a better job of staying out of the way. Huh. I think I may have just sold myself on deep carry pocket clips.

Similarly, I find myself grabbing the Manix 2 LW over the Para 2 or Stretch a lot lately. Part of that is the weight, part of that is the carry, and part of that is I don't like the Manix that much so I want to use the **** out of it. But it sure does get a lot of pocket time.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I can't decide which one I like more, especially since I put micarta scales on my G10 Para3. You can't customize the LW like that.

With each, they're better for different situations, especially in conjunction with the individual strengths of the two different steels that I own them with.

With my Para3's, I like them both deep carry. Sometimes I want an ultralight knife with a stainless steel, that has a smooth and light draw in and out of the pocket. Other times I want the more burley nature of steel liners + micarta + REX-45.

In the case of my PM2's, on two of them I prefer the more grippy and tactile feel of the factory G10, especially the Tanto. I also like G10 on the Manix 2 in conjunction with factory clip.

Really, I think that I like options... and reasons to buy knives.

PSX_20200811_225841.jpg
PSX_20200811_223548.jpg
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

I have both in M390. I like them both. I carry the LW more often. Purely as a cutting tool it’s a great knife. From a sheer function standpoint it’s probably one of the best pocket knives I own for what I actually do with a folding pocket knife. I could be pretty happy with either version but if I was forced to choose I might well end up keeping the LW.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The LW is my beater knife. It's the one that I carry when I'm on the road, as long as I don't anticipate needing to use a knife for anything beyond the basics of opening packaging or possibly cutting some food item. It's one that I carry if I'm going to an area that may not be as friendly when it comes to knives, because I won't be upset if it's taken. But....

The G10 Para 3 is better balanced, it's got better grip(texture) than the smoothed contours on the LW, and it feels better in my hand. Sure, some of that could be conditioning, leading to a false sense of security, false sense of strength, or false sense of quality, but does it matter? I think the G10 is more visually appealing, even if colors do look better on FRN. Could be the fact that it doesn't look like plastic, but I truly don't know why G10 looks better to me. I appreciate the sound of a G10 knife locking: it's more crisp and assertive, due to the more rigid materials used. More satisfying I suppose. I might be in the minority, but I do prefer the standard Spyderco clip to the wire clip. If a clip moves around like the wire clip, it's a hard pass for me.

The Para 3 LW feels like a toy, not a tool.
The G10 Para 3 feels like a tool.

If you like the LW, that's good, it means you won't be my competition in the G10 exclusive races. :D

I get why people like the LW and it makes sense for them. I've given the knife 2 chances, but it's a version I won't buy more of.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Albatross wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 am

The G10 Para 3 is better balanced, it's got better grip(texture) than the smoothed contours on the LW, and it feels better in my hand. Sure, some of that could be conditioning, leading to a false sense of security, false sense of strength, or false sense of quality, but does it matter? I think the G10 is more visually appealing, even if colors do look better on FRN. Could be the fact that it doesn't look like plastic, but I truly don't know why G10 looks better to me. I appreciate the sound of a G10 knife locking: it's more crisp and assertive, due to the more rigid materials used. More satisfying I suppose. I might be in the minority, but I do prefer the standard Spyderco clip to the wire clip. If a clip moves around like the wire clip, it's a hard pass for me.

The Para 3 LW feels like a toy, not a tool.
The G10 Para 3 feels like a tool.

I get why people like the LW and it makes sense for them. I've given the knife 2 chances, but it's a version I won't buy more of.
My feelings exactly. Just because something may be lighter, a bit more technically advanced and differently shaped doesn’t make it better than a predecessor.

It’s surely a personal thing, but as you said, what does that matter? A knife has to look right and feel right to me to stick around. This is my second try at the Para 3 LW. I will be ordering a basic Para 3 G10 soon and moving the LW down the road.

Team Innovation
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wish the g-10 had the lanyard location of the LW.

I prefer the feel of the g-10 versions, but the LW gets the pocket time because the way it rides lower works better for my EDC use (I tend to snag higher riding knives a lot more in some of my daily work tasks).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 am
I wish the g-10 had the lanyard location of the LW.

I prefer the feel of the g-10 versions, but the LW gets the pocket time because the way it rides lower works better for my EDC use (I tend to snag higher riding knives a lot more in some of my daily work tasks).
That's why all my G10 Para 3's wear Lynch short clips. I don't like having to spend the extra money on an already pricey knife but they definitely work better and feel better to me.

I get why some might prefer the G10 model over the LW. I also get why some might prefer the LW over the G10. There are things I like about both and don't have any real issues with either (aside from the aforementioned clip issue on the G10). So I'll continue to own and enjoy both
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benben

Post by benben »

I have the KnifeCenter exclusive Cru-wear Smooth G-10 Para 3. It's a beautiful knife that I just don't like carrying, I don't think I've ever cut anything with it? All I saw was the word "Cru-wear" and jumped on it fast one day while home at lunch.

It'll probably be one I sell here shortly? Never tried the Para 3 LW.
Texaspoff

Post by Texaspoff »

I like things about both the G-10 Para3 and the Lightweight. I prefer the overall feel of the G-10 version like others have said. I carried a Tenacious for years, and G-10 is my preference. Something about it, that just feels right.

The lightweight does carry slightly better, partly because of weight, partly because of the nice radius on the sides of the scales, but mostly because of the clip design and lanyard hole location.

I know you can go with an aftermarket deep carry clip, but all it take is one time catching titanium and the clips bend easily.
I have a few G-10 Para3 and I have modified Bugout clips on all of them, I know it's sacrilege, but the Benchmade mini deep carry clip is perfect. Holds tight, and is short enough it doesn't get caught on things.

For me the perfect Para 3 would have radiused G-10 scales, a new lanyard hole location and a deep carry clip of some type. Hey I can always dream. :)

TXPO
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I much preferred the smoother contours of the LW but also realised I didn’t need that thickness blade in that size of knife.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I definitely prefer the LW para3. I have both a G10 and a LW, and I know I'm on the lookout for more LWs, while I likely won't be buying more g10 para3s. I generally prefer a lighter knife and I love the feel of FRN compared to G10.
normal

Post by normal »

I like the LW better and it just makes more sense for a knife of that size. The weight and feel are much better for me and I love the clip. Unfortunately, I hate the horrible action of the one washer system and the blade is so far off center that it rubs against the scale on all of the ones I have handled. If it was not for these issues it would be one of my favorites.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Mine operates perfectly. I still don’t like it.

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have both, and like both. However I like the Native and Delica more than either version of the P3 so I can understand why some can find no love for it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001