Astute First Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Astute First Impressions

Post by elena86 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
I got mine a while back from the campsaver deal along with the swayback and siren. I agree with the consensus... A little smaller than I thought, but what a great design! I've been carrying mine clipless (wire clip would've been perfect for this one, or at least a standard 2-56 screw IMO), and it's been a pleasure to use. I think a larger version is inevitable if we keep buying them! Seriously, this is one of the best new designs in a while. I took a few (not so great) pictures a week or so ago but got lazy...

Yessss ! Just imagine one with a 3.5 inch blade in SPY27 with a cobalt blue G10 handle :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:00 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
I got mine a while back from the campsaver deal along with the swayback and siren. I agree with the consensus... A little smaller than I thought, but what a great design! I've been carrying mine clipless (wire clip would've been perfect for this one, or at least a standard 2-56 screw IMO), and it's been a pleasure to use. I think a larger version is inevitable if we keep buying them! Seriously, this is one of the best new designs in a while. I took a few (not so great) pictures a week or so ago but got lazy...

Yessss ! Just imagine one with a 3.5 inch blade in SPY27 with a cobalt blue G10 handle :cool:
Instant buy for me! I love the current size, but a larger model would be excellent as well. Spy27, or s35vn like the Tenacious, either works for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My wife gave me an Astute, and I think it's become my new favorite Spyderco.

Initially, I was worried it might feel a bit small in my hand. It ended up being a perfect fit. The handle is a bit short, but it really locks in when you close your grip. I also found it to be rather versatile, facilitating a number of different grips without compromising safety.

I don't normally care about blade/handle ratio, but I definitely took notice the first time I opened up the Astute. That's a lot of blade crammed into that handle, especially compared to a Delica. Like Spydergirl88 said, the knife is very well finished, and it feels nicer than its price would lead you to believe. Lockup is solid, and opening is smooth as butter. I'm loving the blade shape, and how thinly ground it was. I ended up lightly thinning and convexing the edge. With a blade ground this thin, I want to try and get as much performance out of it as I can. I'll be curious to see how Spyderco's 8Cr compares to the same steel as used by other brands. It definitely polishes up nicely, and offered some resistance on the CBN and ceramic. So hopefully that means it will hold a decent edge. This will be used more as an around the house, off work EDC, so I doubt it will see much of what people would consider hard use.

It almost makes me a bit sad that this knife is part of Spyderco's value line. Mainly because I would love to see this knife in Cruwear, or K390. I bet that thinly ground blade would just scream in a carbon or tool steel of some sort.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Maybe if it is a successful design, it will get another steel down the road, similar to the Tenacious. I sure do like the looks of it.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The more I handle the Astute, the harder it is for me to believe it is from Spyderco's value priced line. It really feels like a knife that could have come from their Taiwan or Japan factories.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

StuntZombie wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:15 am
I don't normally care about blade/handle ratio, but I definitely took notice the first time I opened up the Astute. That's a lot of blade crammed into that handle, especially compared to a Delica.
Nice pics and write up, thanks! :)

Yes, in many situations it really does not matter or is even a good thing if a knife has a lot of handle(area) in relation to the blade length.

But I think it is still a good thing if Spyderco still has some (or even some more) compact knives with long cutting edges in the lineup, like the Watu or here the Astute: Smaller than a Delica, but more edge than a Manix. Sometimes nice to have.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Love the Astute! I thought the Caly 3.5 couldn't be touched. The Astute 100% competes.

Dream specs:

• Scaled up to 3.5" blade
  • Full height hollow on 14c28n or similar steel
  • Construction similar to Gayle Bradley GB1/2
  • Full RoundHole access from either side
  • Standard clip w/ through lanyard hole
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am also finding the Astute design very elegant and great for EDC. I would not mind to see it in S35VN similar to Tenacious and now the Resilience. There was a comment (a wish) made in the past in this thread about making this design in Taichung ... I think that is not a bad idea at all :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Elegant design very deserving of an elegant non budget steel.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Yeah, I can see a little family resemblance :)

Congrats to Mr. Gabór Szakonyi and the Spyderco China team for the design and execution on this one; it's a great little knife!
hun

Post by hun »

Thank you, Skywalker!
Gabor Szakonyi
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

So when is the S35VN model gonna be available.?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:43 am
So when is the S35VN model gonna be available.?
Unless someone commissions an exclusive, I wouldn't hold my breath. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Darn. At my age, I ain't gotta a whole lotta breath left. :(
srmiii90

Post by srmiii90 »

Skywalker wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 am

Congrats to Mr. Gabór Szakonyi and the Spyderco China team for the design and execution on this one; it's a great little knife!
What knife is that you are comparing the Astute to?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear srmiii90:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The other knife is the Hungarian, which was also designed by Gabór Szakonyi.

Stay safe,

Mike
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

srmiii90 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:07 am
Skywalker wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 am

What knife is that you are comparing the Astute to?
The Spyderco Hungarian