Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Z-Wear Shaman: availability discussion & lookout thread

Post by nerdlock »

Since this is possibly dropping during the holiday season, my personal holiday wish for the forumites (aside from my own personal holiday prayers and wishes) is that everyone here who wants to have their own copy of this knife will get theirs, and that there will be enough supply in the market that scalpers will have a hard time selling off this at inflated prices. Hopefully if that happens that will help in discouraging them from scalping and preventing real knife afis and collectors from getting the knife they want. :)

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I first joined the forum specifically to ask about bogus online knife shop scams and sprint/exclusives sellers who sell copies at inflated prices. But I stayed primarily for the awesome community here. I just don't want others like me who missed out on the CruCarta to look out and pay 300 dollars and even more for even used knives and feed the people who take advantage of the sprint/exclusive system for their own profit.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am
You know people here will still go CRAZY once it drops and panic if they don't get it from the first distributor that releases them though haha. Hopefully won't turn into the spectacle it was when the CruCarta version dropped. I remember reading that people were actually LOSING SLEEP over that knife, or refreshing their computer browsers every 20 seconds for hours at a time...it was surreal!
I was actually thinking about this earlier. Yes, if more are made then more will get into people's hands but it'll still be a feeding frenzy. The frenzy will just be prolonged this time. I honestly hope actual users have a better opportunity to buy one but I have the feeling there'll still be people griping.

I'm just glad I already have the "original" Crucarta version. So now I can sit back and watch the madness haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I missed out on the Crucarta version so I would love to get my hands on this one. The Shaman has really grown on me recently and this would be a great daily user.
attila

Post by attila »

Sal,

I was wondering if you can confirm how many of these will be made. 1200? 3000? More?

Thank you!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

FullFlatMind wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 pm
I missed out on the Crucarta version so I would love to get my hands on this one. The Shaman has really grown on me recently and this would be a great daily user.
Good to hear you'll be using yours! I can promise you, that micarta just gets better and better the more you carry and use it. Mine feels as little slicker than when it was new, but also kind of softer. It's weird, but very unique and comfortable.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:40 pm
There are also quite a few exclusives, both new and reorders. Seems like the design is more popular than we thought.

sal
it might be the knife my hands love the most. As soon as you hold one... new Shaman fans are made every day!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 am
Gil P. wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:09 pm
Dang! Oh well, like another poster said, maybe they are making a lot of them to satisfy everyone.
Hi Gil,

Don't remember welcoming you, so welcome to our forum.

And yes,

We're making a lot of them.

sal
Thank you, I'm happy to be here.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Attila,

I believe we're in the 2,000 to 3,000 range.

sal
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

I will add my 3rd Shaman!
but will the new variant come out at the same time?
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

I will add my own level of heresy to the discussion of exclusives:

I don't care to own a limited edition 1 of 500 exclusive. I want the steel and blade profile, no concern to be in the cool crowd that got the special scale/color/limited pinky ring.

Sell the CruWear Micarta Shaman as a limited edition once, then sell a Cruwear/Z Wear/4V with plain black G10 Shaman to the people that want to use one.

I'd like to get the upcoming Z Wear, but since I have no idea of when and where it goes on sale, it will be gone before I even know it was for sale.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
OppositeJay

Post by OppositeJay »

I am super excited for this one. I have an S90V Shaman that was reground/denub that has literally become my favorite knife. With the super thin geometry and great heat treated S90V it cuts forever. I am sure the Z-Wear could be taken even thinner! If I manage to get one we will see. Thanks Sal for making all these great products available for us to use!
citori

Post by citori »

I wish I could be enthusiastic about it as well. I have a couple of fixed blades in Z wear and the stuff is great.

But I thought the sprint run thing was going to get better. This is definitely not. I don't have time to fool with all the secret squirrel idiocy, and no one seems to be taking actual pre-orders because apparently they don't know how many to take, so I'll have to miss this one.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

citori wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:53 pm
I wish I could be enthusiastic about it as well. I have a couple of fixed blades in Z wear and the stuff is great.

But I thought the sprint run thing was going to get better. This is definitely not. I don't have time to fool with all the secret squirrel idiocy, and no one seems to be taking actual pre-orders because apparently they don't know how many to take, so I'll have to miss this one.
The Z-Wear Shamans have not been released yet. Are you complaining about something that hasn't even happened? :confused:
Sal said that they were making way more of these Z-Wear Shamans than usual after seeing the insane demand on the CPM Cru-wear ones. I'd say your chances of getting one will be at least no worse than with the Cru-wear Shaman, and probably a lot better.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:29 pm
Hi Attila,

I believe we're in the 2,000 to 3,000 range.

sal

Hi Sal, thanks for pushing to make more of this version so more people get a chance to own one.

Couple of follow up q's..

1. Any ETA of when these will start hitting dealers?

2. Last year following the Cru-carta frenzy you said your team had decided to make 3 additional Micarta Shamans. There was speculation that there would be a similar steel (Z-wear with same Brown scales), same steel (Cruwear with different color like OD Green), and a new steel (K390 was the main guess/ask). Any word on whether there are any more Micarta Shamans in the works that will follow the Z-wear?

3. Are there are plans for any of the future Micarta Shaman versions to be a standard production model rather than a sprint given the demand for these?

4. Are there going to be additional "flagship" models with will receive the Cru-carta treatment such as the Native or Military?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:02 am
Hi Sal, thanks for pushing to make more of this version so more people get a chance to own one.

Couple of follow up q's..

1. Any ETA of when these will start hitting dealers?

2. Last year following the Cru-carta frenzy you said your team had decided to make 3 additional Micarta Shamans. There was speculation that there would be a similar steel (Z-wear with same Brown scales), same steel (Cruwear with different color like OD Green), and a new steel (K390 was the main guess/ask). Any word on whether there are any more Micarta Shamans in the works that will follow the Z-wear?

3. Are there are plans for any of the future Micarta Shaman versions to be a standard production model rather than a sprint given the demand for these?

4. Are there going to be additional "flagship" models with will receive the Cru-carta treatment such as the Native or Military?
Considering the questions you posed, your signature is perfect!

Also, the things I would do for a CruCarta Military...
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Hi Archangel,

I think you should see some the end of the year, unless the schedule is changed due to COVID.

sal

Hey Sal,
Do you think you can release this beauty this month? Or rather in 2021?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm kind of hoping early next year since I have spent far too much this year.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GaryArt1

Post by GaryArt1 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:39 am
I'm kind of hoping early next year since I have spent far too much this year.
I hate to say it but I must agree. In my impatience of waiting for the Shaman , I ordered 2 Microtechs and a Carribean. Now I'm broke.
Current Spydercos in EDC rotation: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Dragonfly 2 Toku2, Vrango, Matrix 2 G10 Black, Native 5 Fluted Carbon, Canis, Native 5 Salt, Enuff Sheepfoot, Lil' Temperance 3, Proficient, Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Zwear micarta, Shaman Black/Black Spyderedge, DLT tan Yojimbo 2
Squidlauncher

Post by Squidlauncher »

As much as I hate to admit it (but love talking about them), I've purchased a few Spydies in the last 3 or 4 months to quench my thirst as well. But alas, I just can't stop thinking about that sweet sweet micarta z-wear Shaman. Just recently I picked up a Para 3 in m390 with micarta scales and a red Lynch clip, a DLC s30v Manix 2 XL with micarta scales and an s90v cf Manix 2 XL.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I might spend my money on an Umnumzaan..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10