Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Your opinion: what are my chances to get a Z-Wear Shaman?

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:46 am
This forum is great about helping other people get sprints by posting where they are dropping. I've been helped and helped others dozens of times this way.
Same here. This is how I got an Orange Sprint Dodo several years ago. I’ve been helped and have been fortunate to have helped a few members too. We’re all in this together. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:07 pm
I feel like with the Shaman, a lot of people have grabbed recent exclusives or sprints and then ultimately decided the knife wasn't for them. I've read a lot of people thinking it was too big, too heavy, too thick of a blade, etc. Maybe the hype for the Z Wear will have settled a bit since the initial Cruwear drop where EVERY knife enthusiast had it as a must have.

Could just be wishful thinking for anybody here that hopes to get one! But I know I've read a fair share of people that decided the Shaman wasn't for them once they finally got their hands on one.

I'm more of a bigger/more is better kind of guy, so... ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Hello everyone

First post here, great community, I learned a lot so far. Love it.

Michael, out of curiosity, why do you want to buy a sprint run overseas? They're coming to you, around 2-4 weeks later at lamnia, CT, knt or elsewhere. No frenzy, no fever, no fear of loss, no customs fees or driving 20 km to the customs office to pick it up, free shipping... I forgot something, for sure.

I have been thinking about to buy or not to buy the Manix 2 rex45 sprint for about one week before I finally pulled the trigger at knives and tools. My first Manix and I love it. Definitely more than my pm2's.

The Shaman will be quite expensive here, the rex45 actually is 270 Euro at knt. So my guess would be, they sit around a bit, long enough to give you a fair chance to get one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I feel like with the Shaman, a lot of people have grabbed recent exclusives or sprints and then ultimately decided the knife wasn't for them. I've read a lot of people thinking it was too big, too heavy, too thick of a blade, etc. Maybe the hype for the Z Wear will have settled a bit since the initial Cruwear drop where EVERY knife enthusiast had it as a must have.

Could just be wishful thinking for anybody here that hopes to get one! But I know I've read a fair share of people that decided the Shaman wasn't for them once they finally got their hands on one.

Funny... in my case it was the other way round: I SHOULD not like the Shaman too much just in theory based on my general preferences (it is a bit heavy, thicker blade stock, comp. lock, rather short edge relatively to the overall package, NOT FRN ;)... ) but as soon as I could handle a Shaman, I KNEW that it actually IS for me and that eventually I´d have to own one. Feels just so perfect in hand.
Luckily, the S30V regular production model is more than fine with me, and so I am not in a hurry at all :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:29 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Funny... in my case it was the other way round: I SHOULD not like the Shaman too much just in theory based on my general preferences (it is a bit heavy, thicker blade stock, comp. lock, rather short edge relatively to the overall package, NOT FRN ;)... ) but as soon as I could handle a Shaman, I KNEW that it actually IS for me and that eventually I´d have to own one. Feels just so perfect in hand.
Luckily, the S30V regular production model is more than fine with me, and so I am not in a hurry at all :)
Thick blade stock, G10, comp lock...all no-no's in your book! Stay away from the Shaman! :p

It really is wonderful in hand, I couldn't believe it when I got my first one. Now having 3, it's safe to say I'm set!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:29 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Thick blade stock, G10, comp lock...all no-no's in your book! Stay away from the Shaman! :p

It really is wonderful in hand, I couldn't believe it when I got my first one. Now having 3, it's safe to say I'm set!
:p ...

But actually not real "no-nos" at all ;)
G10 is just fine, comp. lock is just fine, thick stock in a TALL blade is just fine...
Just not my top most preferences, and since I don´t want to own more than ten folders I tend to focus on the features I absolutely like the very most in the knives I actually do have.

But as said: When I could handle a Shaman it just "clicked" and that counts for more than all general preferences in the world... ;)

/ On topic: Micha, if I should try to get a Z Wear Shaman for you and then pass it on to you in case you should not succeed in getting one: Just pm me. Not much help perhaps, but at least it should increase your chances a bit. And sending stuff from Austria to Germany is no issue at all.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks. As a result of the postings in this thread, my hopes to get a chance to order one regularly went up a good part.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

One way or another, we'll figure out a way to get one to you.

sal
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Me want too...sniffle sniffle
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:09 pm
Hi Michael,

sal

I am delighted! :) :) :)
Michael
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:59 am
sal wrote:
Hi Michael,

sal

I am delighted! :) :) :)

Glad for you!!! :)

This will be your 35th steel, right?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yes it will be.
Last edited by archangel on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Back to the coming of the Z-Wear Shaman. One question: WHEN?

Please post when you see them in the wild. I'll change the thread name accordingly
Michael
archangel

Re: Z-Wear Shaman: availability discussion & lookout thread

Post by archangel »

Give it to me now! I'm ready and loaded, and that's not always the case!! :p
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (396.1 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Last edited by archangel on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

archangel wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:41 am
Give it to me now! I'm ready and loaded, and that's not always the case!! :p

Why you gotta give everyone a heart attack by bumping the alert thread!?! :eek:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sorry... :eek: :o
Michael
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

archangel wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:26 am
Sorry... :eek: :o

I'm just messing with you. We are all excited for this one! I shamefully sold my Cru-carta version last year to fund some other stuff knowing there would be more coming this year. Now I get to go through the stress of trying to track one of these down all over again! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Hi Michael,

sal

Bump, cuz WHEN??? :eek:
Cuz viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85676&start=500#p1449003 :(

Waiting sucks.
Michael
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

This is truly the only knife I want. What alerts should I be signed up for? I check everyday and I'm starting to become paranoid that I will miss this one.
"It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -Mithrandir
Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 am
you could submit a photo for the calendar contest for a chance to win one.
What? Submit what photo where? I want to win!! Lol