Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gil P.

Re: Z-Wear Shaman: availability discussion & lookout thread

Post by Gil P. »

Dang! Oh well, like another poster said, maybe they are making a lot of them to satisfy everyone.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Gil P. wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:46 pm
Sort of unrelated but does the compression lock ever have any problems locking if it gets a bunch of dust on it? I plan on using at a construction site.
Blow it out and it will be fine. I visit west Texas often, trail ride SxS's, and my beard is 20% dust.
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

Gil P. wrote:
Still no news on this knife?
I put it on my wishlist at blade hq, I hope I can get one.

Sort of unrelated but does the compression lock ever have any problems locking if it gets a bunch of dust on it? I plan on using at a construction site.

Hey! I'm an airplane mechanic in alaska and I use my shaman for everything. I blow it out with compressed air every so often and use a dry lube. It gets dirty and mine still works like a charm. Couldn't be happier with a knife. With heavy use and sitting in your pocket out on a construction site might be rough on it but I would just blow it out everyday to keep it from getting to much buildup.
"It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -Mithrandir
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

TheFrozenCelt wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:48 pm
Gil P. wrote:

Hey! I'm an airplane mechanic in alaska and I use my shaman for everything. I blow it out with compressed air every so often and use a dry lube. It gets dirty and mine still works like a charm. Couldn't be happier with a knife. With heavy use and sitting in your pocket out on a construction site might be rough on it but I would just blow it out everyday to keep it from getting to much buildup.

Your dry lube has PTFE as the active ingredient?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:01 am
TheFrozenCelt wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:48 pm
Gil P. wrote:

Your dry lube has PTFE as the active ingredient?
I use Molykote D 321. It's just an anti friction spray, it's just Molybdenum Sulfide, and some graphite. We use it on our airplanes for spoiler hinges and some and flight controls.
"It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -Mithrandir
sal

Post by sal »

Gil P. wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:09 pm
Dang! Oh well, like another poster said, maybe they are making a lot of them to satisfy everyone.
Hi Gil,

Don't remember welcoming you, so welcome to our forum.

And yes,

We're making a lot of them.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 am
Gil P. wrote:
Hi Gil,

And yes,

sal

The certainty that there will be a lot of them being made by Spyderco is comfort enough to buckle up for the wait and unexpected arrival of this knife in the near future.

Again, I don't know if I've thanked you before Sal, but thank you once more for increasing production - not only so that everyone who wants this will in one way or another hopefully get one - but also to stave off potential scalpers and profiteers trying to capitalize on the limited run of this Sprint.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:25 am
sal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 am
Gil P. wrote:
Hi Gil,

And yes,

sal

The certainty that there will be a lot of them being made by Spyderco is comfort enough to buckle up for the wait and unexpected arrival of this knife in the near future.

Again, I don't know if I've thanked you before Sal, but thank you once more for increasing production - not only so that everyone who wants this will in one way or another hopefully get one - but also to stave off potential scalpers and profiteers trying to capitalize on the limited run of this Sprint.
You know people here will still go CRAZY once it drops and panic if they don't get it from the first distributor that releases them though haha. Hopefully won't turn into the spectacle it was when the CruCarta version dropped. I remember reading that people were actually LOSING SLEEP over that knife, or refreshing their computer browsers every 20 seconds for hours at a time...it was surreal!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I've been holding out getting a Shaman until one came I really want, and this is it! Hoping I can snag one if they're making a lot of them. I've only lucked out once with a Sprint Run, getting a REX 45 Native 5 this Spring.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Team Sick,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sal, Sir, can we expect the Z-Wear Shaman still in 2020, or ir 2021 more likely?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

I think you should see some the end of the year, unless the schedule is changed due to COVID.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Super, thank you. I'll shut up for now. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kobold

Post by kobold »

It will be one tough cookie.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

Once we all get our knives and leave poor Sal alone we should all take some dynamic photos and start a whole picture thread just for Shamans. I'm so excited I might go on antianxiety medicine until this is over. I'll probably be standing at the post office offering to cut open everyone's amazon packages the day I get mine!
sal

Post by sal »

There are also quite a few exclusives, both new and reorders. Seems like the design is more popular than we thought.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TheFrozenCelt wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:36 pm
Once we all get our knives and leave poor Sal alone we should all take some dynamic photos and start a whole picture thread just for Shamans. I'm so excited I might go on antianxiety medicine until this is over. I'll probably be standing at the post office offering to cut open everyone's amazon packages the day I get mine!
There's already a "show your Shaman's" thread.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am
You know people here will still go CRAZY once it drops and panic if they don't get it from the first distributor that releases them though haha. Hopefully won't turn into the spectacle it was when the CruCarta version dropped. I remember reading that people were actually LOSING SLEEP over that knife, or refreshing their computer browsers every 20 seconds for hours at a time...it was surreal!

Haha, I guess I think its not as FOMO as much as rather anxiety for securing your personal copy before it runs out (and getting back into the dreaded cycle of watching and waiting for the next drop which would take away precious time that could be used for enjoying life and family). :D But yeah, sitting on your computer for hours just for a knife drop is definitely surreal!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet