Help choosing calendar photo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Best chance of winning?

"The Gift From St. Nicks"
32%
"The Kave Spyder"
68%

Total votes: 25

Mushroom

Help choosing calendar photo

Post by Mushroom »

First of all, if you haven't already, go check out Rick's (TkoK83Spy) thread and help him choose a photo of his own!

---

Similar to many of you I'm sure, choosing the right photo to enter in this contest each year is a tough decision. We only get one entry, so we really want to make the most of the oppurtunity.

I have been taking photos in anticipation of this since last years contest ended. I really just like being creative and basically treat it like a never ending contest, always trying to get my next Spyderco calendar entry. :D

---

Here are my top 5 choices from the photos I've taken this year.

"The Gift From St. Nicks"

"The Kave Spyder"

"Lil' Native Workin'"

"A Homage to Home"

"Para 3 Trail Guide"

Ultimately, my goal is to win the cover shot. I think everyone who enters this contest, should be entering to win the cover shot! It really would be a tremendous honor to have my work showcased by Spyderco in such a way. None the less, I would be genuinely happy with any place in the calendar. I try to submit my highest quality and most creative photo each year, as the competition has only got better over the years!

I appreciate all and any help you would like to provide. I have a lot of fun taking photos for this contest and it's always a pleasure to see everyones photos each year. Good luck to everyone that plans to enter!

Thanks! :cool:
Last edited by Mushroom on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Re: Help choosing calendar photo

Post by SG89 »

Those are all awesome
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think Gift from St Nick's is the best. Kave Spider is really great, you got the exposure of the background perfect, but I just feel like if the Kapara had been turned about so that the light shone on the flat of the blade it would've been even better. Nice pics all around!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Those are great photos Nick! I voted for the Kapara. It's such a great shot from so many perspectives - the spider theme from its custom pedigree (and Spyderco of course), the setting, the lighting...everything is spot on.

I think it'll at least take a spot among the 11 winners, and there's a good chance it makes the cover!

My second pick would be the last one, the Para 3.

Good luck! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I see December being your month! They are all great though!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

of course everyone loves the kapara picture. it looks like it belongs in a calendar.

that said, i doubt there will be many themed entries and your Christmas photo of the st. nick's lil native is very fitting for december.

hmm... but i also doubt a Christmas-specific photo makes the cover and the kapara has a real chance at that. tough call, but it's between those two for me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

The first one will make a perfect photo for December. Nicely done.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:42 am
of course everyone loves the kapara picture. it looks like it belongs in a calendar.

that said, i doubt there will be many themed entries and your Christmas photo of the st. nick's lil native is very fitting for december.

hmm... but i also doubt a Christmas-specific photo makes the cover and the kapara has a real chance at that. tough call, but it's between those two for me.
This is exactly what I was thinking. The St Nick's photo would make a terrific December themed picture, but if you're shooting for the cover shot, maybe a less-seasonally themed image would be better.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I like them all! Makes me realize how much I've been slacking with my pics this year. :D

I had a similar thought as JonLeBlanc, I like The Kave Spyder but thought the knife was a bit dark so I brighten it a touch.

If you like it I'm more than happy to apply the same adjustments to the original for you.

Edit: Based on the comments leaning towards Gift from St Nick's I gave it quick color correction and I think it makes the pic pop a bit more.

Second Edit: I forgot to say I really like Para 3 Trail Guide
-Turbo
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Those are all great photos Nick! I like the St Nick’s pic, it has really beautiful colors and could be perfect for Christmas. My second choice would be the Para 3 Trail Guide.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the plug Nick! :cool:

I'm torn between the St Nick's, Kapara and Para 3. As others said, I could definitely see the St Nick's shot taking December...but maybe not the cover because of the holiday theme. I love that pic though.

Kapara is such a creative shot, and when lightened/brightened up a bit it looks even better!

The Para 3 shot is great as well. The foggy and mysterious trail in the background but not taking our full attention away from the knife itself. Another thing I've noticed the past couple years...seems like they like to select newly released models from the past year in the calendar. I know there's a couple that are in this years calendar that left me scratching my head, but each of them were new releases. Maybe something to think about?

After all this rambling, for the best cover shot I'm liking the Kapara. Best of luck bud!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice shots Nick! Some tough choices there! Since you're going for the cover, I went with The Kave Spyder. The Gift from St. Nick's is almost a shoe in for the December slot. Mind if I share that with the guy's from St Nick's. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

KaveKapara vote here. Not to make it any harder, but Para3 Trailguide is a very very close #2.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

All call for attention, but “The Kave Spyder” is my choice. bbturbodad’s touch-up does feature the blade a bit better.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thank you everyone for the compliments, constructive criticism, and all the votes! So far, this has been helpful to narrow my decision down to "The Gift From St. Nicks" versus "The Kave Spyder." Making the final decision between these two is going to be difficult. I might have to put this into fate's hands and flip a coin. :eek:
The Meat man wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:42 am

This is exactly what I was thinking. The St Nick's photo would make a terrific December themed picture, but if you're shooting for the cover shot, maybe a less-seasonally themed image would be better.
I definitely agree as well and thats the predicament I'm in now. LOL :o

I like to think that both shots have potential to win one of the months but if I really want to aim for the cover, I don't know if a Christmas themed photo is the best option. Decisions, decisions :eek:!

bbturbodad wrote:
I like them all! Makes me realize how much I've been slacking with my pics this year. :D

I had a similar thought as JonLeBlanc, I like The Kave Spyder but thought the knife was a bit dark so I brighten it a touch.

If you like it I'm more than happy to apply the same adjustments to the original for you.

Edit: Based on the comments leaning towards Gift from St Nick's I gave it quick color correction and I think it makes the pic pop a bit more.

Second Edit: I forgot to say I really like Para 3 Trail Guide
Those look great, thanks! The edits definitely improve the photos. I think I would like to try my own hand at editing them but depending on the success of that I may be in contact with you via PM. I really appreciate the offer, thanks again! :)

Filoso- wrote: Those are all great photos Nick! I like the St Nick’s pic, it has really beautiful colors and could be perfect for Christmas. My second choice would be the Para 3 Trail Guide.
Thanks for the help, Filoso. I love that Native 5 Salt pic you entered! :D

TkoK83Spy wrote: Thanks for the plug Nick! :cool:

I'm torn between the St Nick's, Kapara and Para 3. As others said, I could definitely see the St Nick's shot taking December...but maybe not the cover because of the holiday theme. I love that pic though.

Kapara is such a creative shot, and when lightened/brightened up a bit it looks even better!

The Para 3 shot is great as well. The foggy and mysterious trail in the background but not taking our full attention away from the knife itself. Another thing I've noticed the past couple years...seems like they like to select newly released models from the past year in the calendar. I know there's a couple that are in this years calendar that left me scratching my head, but each of them were new releases. Maybe something to think about?

After all this rambling, for the best cover shot I'm liking the Kapara. Best of luck bud!
No problem! Thank you for pioneering this type of thread. Also, thanks for the help! I've narrowed my decision down to the St. Nicks shot vs the Kapara shot. Fortunately, I still have time to really think about it.

Sharp Guy wrote: Nice shots Nick! Some tough choices there! Since you're going for the cover, I went with The Kave Spyder. The Gift from St. Nick's is almost a shoe in for the December slot. Mind if I share that with the guy's from St Nick's. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it
Thanks Patrick! Also, I wouldn't mind at all, feel free to share it with them! :D

Again, thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. Though I did not respond to everyone individually, I read and absolutely appreciate the feedback you have all provided.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like both, but voted for "Gift" as it fits the calendar theme the best.

Also, I'm only seeing my vote for the "Gift" so some are posting, but forgetting to vote in the poll.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Kave Spyder. The other photo has a reddish haze to it that I do not like. With so much red in the background, I find the lack of contrast to take a bit away from the photo.
Red

Post by Red »

In the minority but the St. Nicks shot is awesome. Both of them are excellent but I like that one the most. Wish my phone took better pics, may invest in a camera soon.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

St Nicks for me.
Cave one draws my eye to the rope/cord and knife doesn’t look as crisp focus wise compared to St Nicks......
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

They are both excellent pictures, so it was difficult to choose. I ended up going with the St. Nick’s because it is such a bright and cheerful picture and reminds me of better times.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal