Plastic Knives are BEST.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Plastic Knives are BEST.

Post by Sharp Guy »

Like a lot of these types of subjects (steel choice, lock type, size, shape, etc)....it's great that Spyderco makes something for everyone!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:42 am
All good, just different.

I use and carry both and enjoy and value both.

Amen.

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

A lot of people who like liners and g10 know that frn is pretty strong, but simply prefer the feel of the heft and the stuff g10

Nice to have both

Now - SS handles are the really unpopular ones
araneae

Post by araneae »

FRN takes impact abuse better from my experience. People may think it looks cheap, but that's their prejudice to overcome. Only FRN handle I recall seeing broken here on the forum was run over by a bobcat while stuck in the ground.

I had a coworker drop her delica in the gravel parking lot where it was driven over, likely several times, over the course of a day. After I cleaned it up it and re-bent the clip, it was in perfect working order. Solo cup, hah!

I've got a very wide variety of handle materials in my collection, but I prefer to use FRN when I'm working. Grip, lightweight, durability and comfort in use are important to me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

I dunno, I’m not sure which side I fall on. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:09 pm

:p
I am sure you aren´t - given your very neutral username! ;)

Welcome tot the forum, btw! :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:41 am
FRNFanboy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:09 pm

:p
I am sure you aren´t given your very neutral username! ;)

Welcome tot the forum, btw! :)
😂 hahaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

How would a G10 with FRN liners go. Image
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi FRNFanboy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

One of my friends showed me his Manix 2 (s110v) a couple days ago and he has developed a crack in the handle. It's small and won't effect use, but I was interested to see it. I've actually dropped a Native LW from 300 feet onto gravel (at work, on accident) and it survived unscathed.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm
One of my friends showed me his Manix 2 (s110v) a couple days ago and he has developed a crack in the handle. It's small and won't effect use, but I was interested to see it. I've actually dropped a Native LW from 300 feet onto gravel (at work, on accident) and it survived unscathed.

Interesting indeed... FRCP (Manix) subjectively actually does feel in hand a bit more "harder/rigid" "brittle" and more prone to crack than FRN (Native) - the latter feels more like it would dent before it cracks. No idea if this translates in objective parameters.

That being said: The Manix LW I had and the one I have right now held/hold up perfectly and I am not worried at all about there stability (though pushed to the extreme a G10 linered Manix will be stronger of course).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've dropped both my manix lw and native salt from about waist height and they both have scars. the native salt was dropped on chunkier asphalt and got some deep gouges (not really that bad, but deep for a little drop). my manix just got some small dents and scratches. i don't even notice them.

i might just be the surface they hit and how they land. i was surprised to see chunks taken out of my native salt handle. fortunately, it didn't crack or break and the action and ergos weren't affected.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:02 pm
i've dropped both my manix lw and native salt from about waist height and they both have scars. the native salt was dropped on chunkier asphalt and got some deep gouges (not really that bad, but deep for a little drop). my manix just got some small dents and scratches. i don't even notice them.

i might just be the surface they hit and how they land. i was surprised to see chunks taken out of my native salt handle. fortunately, it didn't crack or break and the action and ergos weren't affected.

Interesting, thanks!

When it comes to FRN, Seki FRN always felt a bit "softer", more "rubbery" and less "plasticy" and less likely to break than Golden FRN to me (totally subjective and not proven by any test at all - just the feel in hand)
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93 and Warstein:

Years ago, I dropped a Military onto parking lot asphalt once, and it left a minor ding. I’ve dropped Seki FRN models in similar circumstances and pretty much the same, although sometimes the dings were a little more pronounced. The dings on all of the above-mentioned knives happened at the ends/corners of the handles.

I’ve noticed the Seki FRN has a softer, almost slightly “gummier” feel to it than the Golden FRN. This difference is also noticeable when you tap both types of FRN with a fingernail. I prefer the Seki FRN a bit more.

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

All my knives have scars, so I'm not sure if I'd even notice if the native that I dropped had picked up any additional dings. It had no noticeable major damage (cracks, etc) and still functions perfectly, though.
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

My Gen 1 Delica’s and Endura’s from the 90’s are still serving me well. If I come across NIB ones on eBay, I usually will buy or bid on them. No liners and pinned construction, super lightweight and very low maintenance. I’ve looked at the new models and just don’t see any advantages offered for my needs. Never a problem with the thick clips and feel they offer a better contact point for quick one-handed opening.

I did recently pick of a couple of ARK’s. Interesting knives, very unique. I just wish I could find a way to clip them on the belt/waistband.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

20200814_143551-1.jpg
I'm sure there are better ways, but I did this, and it works.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Gotta agree with the OP.
In real world use, I’ve found FRN is more durable, has better grip, better grip with gloves, better grip when wet, less prone to damage, less effected by the elements and it’s lighter.

G-10 is okay. I thought I’d like it more but FRN out performs it.

Smooth G-10 & carbon fiber? They can go jump off a bridge.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:43 pm
When it comes to FRN, Seki FRN always felt a bit "softer", more "rubbery" and less "plasticy" and less likely to break than Golden FRN to me (totally subjective and not proven by any test at all - just the feel in hand)
I've noticed this difference too between the Seki & Golden FRN.

My current preference:
Lightweight = Golden FRN
Light Duty = Seki FRN
Medium Duty = G10

I don't have much handle time with FRCP, stainless, CF or TI but it will be interesting to see how those will change my preferences later.
MatZio

Post by MatZio »

My own experience with Spyderco knives say that if i need a lightweight tool, at same time a durable enough handle I use a Spyderco with a FRN handle.

In my daily routine(running, walking with dog, job....) when I carry Spyderco Delica FRN I don't feel that I have knife. FRN is so lightweight when that you see it.

I have knives eg. with G-10 or titanium , but I don't see really advantage over FRN.

FRN is very good material for knife handles. FRN is "lightwieght and extremly strong, .....".
It' s true . FRN rulez!
:spyder:
Dinamo Zagreb. Leaving or dead, always ahead...
Matija