Para 3 LW slippery

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robbob

Para 3 LW slippery

Post by Robbob »

I'm a big fan of the P3 lightweight, but it sure is slippery on the edges. In use it's great, but I find it a bit hard to handle while opening. Has anyone found a way to add traction to the rounded bits? I don't want to detract from the fantastic aesthetics.
Albatross

Re: Para 3 LW slippery

Post by Albatross »

Some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper might help rough up the rounded edges.

If your pivot is too tight, it will amplify the issue. Does the blade drop freely, without blade play, once the lock is disengaged? I know there are a lot of people who strongly dislike a free-dropping blade, but if it means the knife opens more freely, the scales won't seem so slippery.

You could try some grip tape, but I don't think it will last long, and I can't imagine it wouldn't ruin the looks. If you're OK with reapplying the tape periodically, it might be a better option than roughing up the edges with sandpaper.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Edges are smooth but I've never really thought they were slippery. Other than sanding it as Albatross suggested I'm not sure what you'd do
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ric

Post by Ric »

How is the action? Smooth?
How do you open it? Thumb, middlefinger? Slow or flicking?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I am in the light sanding camp, if really necessary. Pivot adjust and just using it might help.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Thats one of the smoothest knives I own. I can only imagine you have the pivot too tight or its new and not broken in yet.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would start with what Albatross suggested, you might also consider something like "Dragon Grips" which are easily applied/removed and are fairly inexpensive. Just google 'em and you'll find them quite easily.

Cheers,

John
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I have the pivot adjust pretty loosely, just like most of my knives. The issue really is just getting past the detent. After that, it's smooth sailing.

I thought about sanding, or maybe even routing out a groove with a Dremel. However, I'm afraid of what might happen. In the end, I suppose this is a plea to Sal to incorporate some sort of jumping or ridges where one's ring and pinky fingers would fall during opening.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Stiple it with a soldering iron.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I can't imagine what might be wrong if you have done all of the above. I would contact Spyderco and send the thing back to them. Ask them to fix or replace. If nothing happens post it on here, but if it does also post to let us know what happpens..
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 pm
I have the pivot adjust pretty loosely, just like most of my knives. The issue really is just getting past the detent. After that, it's smooth sailing.

I thought about sanding, or maybe even routing out a groove with a Dremel. However, I'm afraid of what might happen. In the end, I suppose this is a plea to Sal to incorporate some sort of jumping or ridges where one's ring and pinky fingers would fall during opening.
The detent should mellow out after a while. I have a couple compression lock knives, that started out with strong detents, but with wear and time, feel pretty good now.

I use the wire clip to steady my ring and pinky fingers while opening, which mostly keeps them off the smooth parts of the handle. By wrapping my fingers over the clip, the grip is very secure. I wish I could remember how I was opening and closing the last LW I had, because it felt quite slippery to me. Must be doing something different now. Technique could be the difference between loving the knife and wanting more.

What is your opening technique?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PineyBoy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:31 pm
I can't imagine what might be wrong if you have done all of the above. I would contact Spyderco and send the thing back to them. Ask them to fix or replace. If nothing happens post it on here, but if it does also post to let us know what happpens..
I can't imagine that there's anything actually wrong with it. It sounds like the detent might be a little strong but that's a good thing IMO. My M390 LW has a really strong detent compared to my other two and it isn't much harder to open. Maybe it has to do with the way I hold it but that's no different than any other Spyderco knife I have.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I agree Robbob. My Para 3 LW is smooth enough on the edges that my fingers slip along with out resistance. I'm in it for the Spy27 so I'm trying to stay positive and cut vs being confused as to why there are any smooth parts to a knife handle. I have been flicking open with middle finger, the rest of the fingers and thumb firmly on the texturing. I have found the grip to be just fine in use, no slipping or grip issues.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I think it's just Golden's frn. I have a Manix lw that's fairly slippery as well. Like someone else said, low grade sandpaper will probably do it. Otherwise adjusting lock bar tension can compensate for it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:43 am
I think it's just Golden's frn. I have a Manix lw that's fairly slippery as well. Like someone else said, low grade sandpaper will probably do it. Otherwise adjusting lock bar tension can compensate for it.
The Manix 2 LW is actually listed as FRCP. Regardless, it's been discussed several times and I've come to the conclusion that the real difference is the molds used for the US knives compared to Japan and the other factories. The molds for the Golden, CO knives likely have a higher polish so the finish on the handles feel more smooth (less texture)