1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Post by SG89 »

SpyderCuse wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:20 pm
Am I the only one who kinda likes the look with no covers? You lose the clip and not as comfortable in hand but has a nice minimalist look to it.
I think it looks pretty cool like that too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:33 pm
SpyderCuse wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:20 pm
Am I the only one who kinda likes the look with no covers? You lose the clip and not as comfortable in hand but has a nice minimalist look to it.
I think it looks pretty cool like that too
It would be really easy to make some thin scales to cover the pivot. Thin Ti slabs?

Mmmm, that sounds nice.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

How's the detent on the SpyOpera?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Aren't bearings mass produced to a standard size or sizes? Surely it's possible to replace them if they get messed up (assuming you can get past the pins)?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:11 pm
RamZar,

The SpyOpera has a softer feel on opening compared to a Delica 4, or an Endura 4 I’ve got here. The lock bar on the SpyOpera feels lighter, like its got less pressure on the blade tang, so it takes less of a push to open the blade. It feels smoother, too.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 am
RamZar wrote:
RamZar,

The SpyOpera has a softer feel on opening compared to a Delica 4, or an Endura 4 I’ve got here. The lock bar on the SpyOpera feels lighter, like its got less pressure on the blade tang, so it takes less of a push to open the blade. It feels smoother, too.

Thank you.

What I dislike are soft detents whereby the blade swings open “too easily”. I like the blades on folders to open only with some force. I admit the criteria is somewhat subjective but it’s all about safety. I prefer a smooth opening and closing while not sacrificing the blade not opening too easily and/or accidentally in the pocket. By default, back locks are good in not opening too easily.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

As a leftie, I still cannot understand why make it a backlock (or front/midlock), and not have the clip switchable.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:28 am
As a leftie, I still cannot understand why make it a backlock (or front/midlock), and not have the clip switchable.
All about the percentages? Only 10% of the population are lefties. Bottomline, business decisions. Businesses mostly make decisions on profit margins without which they don’t survive and these days the margins are razed thin.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:03 am
Pokey wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 am
RamZar wrote:
RamZar,

Thank you.

What I dislike are soft detents whereby the blade swings open “too easily”. I like the blades on folders to open only with some force. I admit the criteria is somewhat subjective but it’s all about safety. I prefer a smooth opening and closing while not sacrificing the blade not opening too easily and/or accidentally in the pocket. By default, back locks are good in not opening too easily.
RamZar,

If you've ever looked at how a back lock or slip joint knife opens and closes, you're familiar with how the lock bar rides on the tang of the blade as you rotate the blade to open or close it. The lock bar is always putting pressure on the tang. The tang has a curve or radius and flat spots on it. When the blade is closed the lock bar is "resting" or under the least amount of pressure on that flat spot. And, when the blade is locked open the lock bar is resting in the other flat spot with a notch to help lock it open. The design of the lock bar and the temper of the steel used will provide stiffness when opening or closing a blade.

As you open the blade the lock bar has to ride up and over a bump to get to the curved part of the tang. That bump, or "lobe" on the tang puts the most pressure on the lock bar while pushing it out of the way. You can see the lock bar rise to its highest point when the lock bar sits on the lobe. That pressure keeps the blade from opening when you don't want it to, and it may slow the blade down when closing the blade. (Hopefully, just before it "snaps" shut on your fingers. :eek: ) It's probably safe to say all slip joint knives work this way. The shape of the tang can change where the tang/lock bar reaches the maximum pressure between the two parts.

On the SpyOpera the flat spot where the two meet when the blade is closed is longer than on a Delica, or Endura. So,the SpyOpera blade will rotate roughly 45°before the lock bar cams over the lobe on the tang. (compared to the Delica or Endura at about half that distance) Then, the action on the three knives works about the same. When opening the blade on the Delica or the Endura the lock bar reaches the lobe quicker. So, on those two models that point of maximum pressure between the tang and lock bar is almost immediate. This feels like it's using more pressure to keep those blades closed. Maybe the SpyOpera has a softer steel used in the lock bar, making it feel softer opening, I don't know.

Looking at the original Lionsteel Opera, it looks like a gentleman's knife that comes with a leather sheath. Lionsteel does call it an EDC knife, but I'd say it's for light/medium duty. I'm thinking the SpyOpera is the same, but with the convenience of one-handed deployment.

The SpyOpera is easier to open, than say a Delica or Endura, but I can't imagine how it would open in one's pocket. When closed, the tip is nested between the liners and scales. And, if it were to somehow begin to open I would think the the front of the thumb ramp would bump on your pocket and push the blade closed until you open it outside of your pocket.

If you'd like to see a gentleman's knife that will open inadvertently upon pulling it from your pocket look at the Benchmade Nakamura AXIS Lock CF. The thumb studs are sitting out in the open and will catch on the edge of your pocket. This acts as an unintentional, occasional, very poor, Emerson Opener. Mine opened, then closed on my finger the first day I had it. Needless to say it sits in the safe most of the time. The SpyOpera won't do that.

Take a look at the SpyOpera if you get the chance. And as they say, your mileage may vary, whether you like it or don't like it is entirely up to you.
shimage

Post by shimage »

I just got mine today. I've been wanting a knife in micarta for a long time, but never found one that really spoke to me before. Obviously, I really like the micarta on it. Like everyone else has stated, it's great. Action is super smooth and lighter than you would expect. I think this is due, in part, to relatively light spring tension. I don't think it can open in the pocket, but it's not like your typical Japanese Spyderco lockback. If I try hard, I can shake it open. I can also do that to the Japanese Urban, so I wouldn't read much into it, though. Pinned construction is a bummer, but I don't care that much. I have other pinned knives I love, like the Caly. A bigger ricasso would have been nice for one-handed closing, but it also feels a lot safer than the Caly, so ... yeah. I might grind off a bit of the pointy heel, though, just to be extra safe.

Generally, I hate free-spinning pivots, but obviously it only irritates after loctite is applied. Mine didn't ship with any, so there was significant lateral play out of the box. Easy enough to fix myself, but I can't comment on the pivot yet beyond that. After I got the scales back on I realized that there isn't much room for steel washers on the titanium interface. Now, I never actually took the pivot or blade out, so I didn't get a look at whether or not there are steel washers for the bearings to ride on. But that's the only potential issue I have with the construction.

I like all the little touches, like the custom hardware, crowning of all the edges, etc. They even took the pointy edge off the corner of the lock interface that juts out when the blade is closed. There is an internal stop pin for the closed position, which you don't see every day (just the chaparral, off the top of my head). I thought this would have been in the other operas, but apparently it isn't (I don't think? found a thread from 2014 where someone added a stop pin to their's). Without it, the ricasso isn't close to large enough to hit the lockbar in the right spot, so I thought it was a nice touch. All-in-all, it's a really nice edc, and I look forward to enjoying it in use.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

After carrying the SpyOpera for a few days, I'm realizing the lack of a prominent ricasso isn't near the issue I thought it'd be. When I depress the lock, the blade drops to about a 90° angle, so isn't coming down like a guillotine on my pointer finger. Plus the knife is small enough that my finger pretty much naturally lands high enough to catch the little bit of exposed ricasso. I agree with Shimage above...the pointy bit at the heel end of the blade edge might have to be dulled down, but that's the only spot that I still think might be an issue.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

Just got my SpyOpera in the mail today and I can say I am very impressed. I think I have a new daily EDC for awhile.
I also had try out one of the new Lynch clips. Almost all of my Spydies are wire clips so I am very excited Lynch started making his clips for wire clip replacement. Previously I only knew of Ripp’s Garage Tech, which although they are nice they don’t offer the same deep carry as the original wire clip.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

https://youtu.be/vnQOzDn9gx4

All that music and Sal and Eric were not even eating sketti and meatballs
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Mine's out for delivery today!! Will weigh in after it gets some pocket time over the weekend :-)
~andrew
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Nice picture Flizwit! I am beginning to think Sal, Eric, and their Italian chums are making me an offer I can't refuse...
And to be honest I think the price is really good for such a Micarta beauty.
shimage

Post by shimage »

In case anyone was wondering (though, I don't think anyone is), the pivot uses steel ball bearings and the liners have steel washers imbedded.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 pm
After carrying the SpyOpera for a few days, I'm realizing the lack of a prominent ricasso isn't near the issue I thought it'd be. When I depress the lock, the blade drops to about a 90° angle, so isn't coming down like a guillotine on my pointer finger. Plus the knife is small enough that my finger pretty much naturally lands high enough to catch the little bit of exposed ricasso. I agree with Shimage above...the pointy bit at the heel end of the blade edge might have to be dulled down, but that's the only spot that I still think might be an issue.
Julia,

After using mine for a while I've found that the little point at the back edge of the blade isn't a big issue, either.

I've found that when switching from one model of knife to another, then carrying them from day to day it only takes a few minutes to re-learn the quirks of that model. For instance, after carrying the SpyOpera for a while when I switch to a Delica my first impression is, wow this thing needs some oil. But, when you realize the Delica's have a stronger lock spring I'll just open and close it a few times. It just takes some getting used to again.

When I get the SpyOpera out I'll open and close it to "remember" to keep my index finger farther forward on the handle when closing it. And, the first couple of times that little point will remind me if I'm not doing it right. ;)

Bill
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:04 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 pm
Julia,

After using mine for a while I've found that the little point at the back edge of the blade isn't a big issue, either.

I've found that when switching from one model of knife to another, then carrying them from day to day it only takes a few minutes to re-learn the quirks of that model. For instance, after carrying the SpyOpera for a while when I switch to a Delica my first impression is, wow this thing needs some oil. But, when you realize the Delica's have a stronger lock spring I'll just open and close it a few times. It just takes some getting used to again.

When I get the SpyOpera out I'll open and close it to "remember" to keep my index finger farther forward on the handle when closing it. And, the first couple of times that little point will remind me if I'm not doing it right. ;)

Bill
I think you're right. It seems like once you've developed the muscle memory for each model, it doesn't take long to get your brain/fingers on track each time you switch.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
LSUisSEC

Post by LSUisSEC »

My Spyopera is having significant lock stick when opening. When i snap it open its fine but if i slow open it the lock bar doesnt sit flush and i have to hit it against something to depress it. Started happening after the 3rd time i carried it and i never used
joe58

Post by joe58 »

LSUisSEC wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:00 pm
My Spyopera is having significant lock stick when opening. When i snap it open its fine but if i slow open it the lock bar doesnt sit flush and i have to hit it against something to depress it. Started happening after the 3rd time i carried it and i never used
My newish Ti Chaparral is doing the same thing more or less. While does lockup just fine, it doesn’t like to let me close the blade. Have to really push down on it to disengage the lock bar. I’m figuring it’s something that will settle down once it’s further broken it. I’ve been sitting in my recliner watching tv and opening & closing the blade. My thumb is sore from it actually.

My Spyopera has no lock bar stick at all. Pretty smooth opening and lock. Mine does not really have issues with a soft backspring, It’s about perfect for a production model especially.