1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Post by RamZar »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm
It has bearings FYI

Thank you. It's just like the LionSteel TM1 back lock folders (Satin or Black Sleipner steel blade, Integral Micarta or Carbon Fiber handle, tungsten carbide glass-breaker).

https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/allproduc ... =1&idc=176
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Back lock with bearings?! Interesting. I hate bearings though.... and this coming from a shirogorov owner
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There's the answer! That's been eating at me, though not really a deal breaker. It is a fine looking knife for sure, but the more I think about it and also hear from Josh and Julia...that lack of ricasso would be my downfall.

It fits the category of a few other knives I have that I wouldn't use at work, so really only light duty weekend work. Do I really need to spend $175 on a knife I may carry once a month and probably not cut anything with :confused:

I do love that blade shape, smooth micarta and unique screws...just not sure if it justifies it compared to my others. I hate trying to slow down!!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Back lock with bearings?! Interesting. I hate bearings though.... and this coming from a shirogorov owner

Why do you hate bearings? I haven't had any knives with bearings prior to this. Seems pretty good to me. Super smooth.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
It has bearings FYI

I knew it! :p
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm
prndltech wrote:

Why do you hate bearings? I haven't had any knives with bearings prior to this. Seems pretty good to me. Super smooth.
I work in a dirty environment and dirt and grim doesn’t play well with bearings.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
It has bearings FYI
That just killed it for me :(

I really do applaud Spyderco for the huge improvements to the original in terms of materials and finishes but this was a step backwards in my opinion. There are going to be lots of “bitten” forefingers because of this. Again bearings are being used to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

WRB wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:00 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Aaaaand...I just got my first knife cut in years closing this thing. :( Gotta remember to choke up all the way with the index finger as there is no room for error like on the Delica, Endura, Native, etc!
Precisely why I decided to hold off on this one. I could tell by the design that was going to happen to me, haha!

Then why don't you guys just use one of the alternative, actually imho even more convinient ways of closing a backlock where you don't let the Ricasso drop on the forefinger? Or the one where you generally keep all fingers out of the blade path completely? :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I was semi-interested in this knife till I heard it had bearings.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm
prndltech wrote:

I work in a dirty environment and dirt and grim doesn’t play well with bearings.

Ah, that makes sense. I know what dirt, dust, moisture, and grime can do to the bearings of skates. At least those are serviceable and replaceable.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
It has bearings FYI

What is the video from? How did the get the knife apart?
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 am
What is the video from? How did the get the knife apart?
I put a link to the video below. I was cringing while he was working on the knife, and I wish he had used painter's tape to cover the cutting edge. He wasn't able to remove the Ti liners because of the pinned construction.

https://youtu.be/KGuE_zfcDWk
WRB

Post by WRB »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 pm
Then why don't you guys just use one of the alternative, actually imho even more convinient ways of closing a backlock where you don't let the Ricasso drop on the forefinger? Or the one where you generally keep all fingers out of the blade path completely? :confused:
Because I'm used to closing the Native 5 that way, so I'll invariably make that mistake with the SpyOpera. But the knife being pinned is honestly a bigger issue for me. It's all good, though. I don't need to own them all! :D
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Bummer that it's pinned, especially with the bearings as those get gunkier for me than washers. Still excited for mine to arrive though, and given that I'll be using it as a gentleman's knife hopefully it'll stay clean and won't ever need disassembly-level servicing.
~andrew
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

the lack of full disassembly and the bearings kinda defeat the purpose of a workhorse lockback... This is a no go for me.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pinned construction is definitely a bummer. But, atleast the handles come off.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

WRB wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 pm
Because I'm used to closing the Native 5 that way, so I'll invariably make that mistake with the SpyOpera. But the knife being pinned is honestly a bigger issue for me. It's all good, though. I don't need to own them all! :D

Thanks, I see! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

toocool006 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:30 am
Bummer that it's pinned, especially with the bearings as those get gunkier for me than washers. Still excited for mine to arrive though, and given that I'll be using it as a gentleman's knife hopefully it'll stay clean and won't ever need disassembly-level servicing.

If push came to shove it didn't look too bad to remove the blade so you could clean and relube the bearings.
termite

Post by termite »

I got one and it’s nice-Really Nice, but I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger had I known it had bearings. It was already on its way when I found out about the bearings. I’ve got lots of knives and this is the first with them as I just like things with the fewest parts needed...so I guess this needed bearings. Regardless, did I mention that it’s REALLY NICE? :)
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

Am I the only one who kinda likes the look with no covers? You lose the clip and not as comfortable in hand but has a nice minimalist look to it.