1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
RamZar
Member
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am
Location: SoCal, USA

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby RamZar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm
It has bearings FYI

Thank you. It's just like the LionSteel TM1 back lock folders (Satin or Black Sleipner steel blade, Integral Micarta or Carbon Fiber handle, tungsten carbide glass-breaker).

https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/allproduc ... =1&idc=176
Last edited by RamZar on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby prndltech » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Back lock with bearings?! Interesting. I hate bearings though.... and this coming from a shirogorov owner
- Shannon

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 6720
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm

There's the answer! That's been eating at me, though not really a deal breaker. It is a fine looking knife for sure, but the more I think about it and also hear from Josh and Julia...that lack of ricasso would be my downfall.

It fits the category of a few other knives I have that I wouldn't use at work, so really only light duty weekend work. Do I really need to spend $175 on a knife I may carry once a month and probably not cut anything with :confused:

I do love that blade shape, smooth micarta and unique screws...just not sure if it justifies it compared to my others. I hate trying to slow down!!!
23 :spyder:'s in 14 different steels
2 - Bradford Guardian 3's (Wharnie Vanadis 4E and 3V/Drop Point)
1- Zero Tolerance 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - WE Knives Gentry

-Rick

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby steelcity16 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Back lock with bearings?! Interesting. I hate bearings though.... and this coming from a shirogorov owner

Why do you hate bearings? I haven't had any knives with bearings prior to this. Seems pretty good to me. Super smooth.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby steelcity16 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm
It has bearings FYI
Image

I knew it! :p
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

prndltech
Member
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby prndltech » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:23 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Back lock with bearings?! Interesting. I hate bearings though.... and this coming from a shirogorov owner

Why do you hate bearings? I haven't had any knives with bearings prior to this. Seems pretty good to me. Super smooth.
I work in a dirty environment and dirt and grim doesn’t play well with bearings.
- Shannon

PSquared
Member
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby PSquared » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm
It has bearings FYI
That just killed it for me :(

I really do applaud Spyderco for the huge improvements to the original in terms of materials and finishes but this was a step backwards in my opinion. There are going to be lots of “bitten” forefingers because of this. Again bearings are being used to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 9330
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby Wartstein » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 pm

WRB wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:00 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Aaaaand...I just got my first knife cut in years closing this thing. :( Gotta remember to choke up all the way with the index finger as there is no room for error like on the Delica, Endura, Native, etc!
Precisely why I decided to hold off on this one. I could tell by the design that was going to happen to me, haha!

Then why don't you guys just use one of the alternative, actually imho even more convinient ways of closing a backlock where you don't let the Ricasso drop on the forefinger? Or the one where you generally keep all fingers out of the blade path completely? :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Halfneck
Member
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:51 am
Location: Calhoun, Georgia.

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby Halfneck » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 pm

I was semi-interested in this knife till I heard it had bearings.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:36 am

prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:23 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm
prndltech wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm
Back lock with bearings?! Interesting. I hate bearings though.... and this coming from a shirogorov owner

Why do you hate bearings? I haven't had any knives with bearings prior to this. Seems pretty good to me. Super smooth.
I work in a dirty environment and dirt and grim doesn’t play well with bearings.

Ah, that makes sense. I know what dirt, dust, moisture, and grime can do to the bearings of skates. At least those are serviceable and replaceable.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 am

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm
It has bearings FYI
Image

What is the video from? How did the get the knife apart?
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

mikey177
Member
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:33 am
Location: Philippines

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby mikey177 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:28 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:37 am
What is the video from? How did the get the knife apart?
I put a link to the video below. I was cringing while he was working on the knife, and I wish he had used painter's tape to cover the cutting edge. He wasn't able to remove the Ti liners because of the pinned construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuE_zfcDWk

User avatar
WRB
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:30 am
Location: U.S.A. Earth

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby WRB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 am

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 pm
Then why don't you guys just use one of the alternative, actually imho even more convinient ways of closing a backlock where you don't let the Ricasso drop on the forefinger? Or the one where you generally keep all fingers out of the blade path completely? :confused:
Because I'm used to closing the Native 5 that way, so I'll invariably make that mistake with the SpyOpera. But the knife being pinned is honestly a bigger issue for me. It's all good, though. I don't need to own them all! :D

User avatar
toocool006
Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby toocool006 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:30 am

Bummer that it's pinned, especially with the bearings as those get gunkier for me than washers. Still excited for mine to arrive though, and given that I'll be using it as a gentleman's knife hopefully it'll stay clean and won't ever need disassembly-level servicing.
~andrew

User avatar
Abyss_Fish
Member
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby Abyss_Fish » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am

the lack of full disassembly and the bearings kinda defeat the purpose of a workhorse lockback... This is a no go for me.
Patiently waiting for the smallfly 2.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, Kapara DLT sprint 20cv, Manix lw “mystic” sprint 20cv, Siren, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v, s90v, 20cv/m390/204p, cts-xhp

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3473
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:44 pm

Pinned construction is definitely a bummer. But, atleast the handles come off.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 9330
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby Wartstein » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:20 pm

WRB wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:54 pm
Then why don't you guys just use one of the alternative, actually imho even more convinient ways of closing a backlock where you don't let the Ricasso drop on the forefinger? Or the one where you generally keep all fingers out of the blade path completely? :confused:
Because I'm used to closing the Native 5 that way, so I'll invariably make that mistake with the SpyOpera. But the knife being pinned is honestly a bigger issue for me. It's all good, though. I don't need to own them all! :D


Thanks, I see! :)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:28 pm

toocool006 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:30 am
Bummer that it's pinned, especially with the bearings as those get gunkier for me than washers. Still excited for mine to arrive though, and given that I'll be using it as a gentleman's knife hopefully it'll stay clean and won't ever need disassembly-level servicing.

If push came to shove it didn't look too bad to remove the blade so you could clean and relube the bearings.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

termite
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:25 am

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby termite » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:58 pm

I got one and it’s nice-Really Nice, but I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger had I known it had bearings. It was already on its way when I found out about the bearings. I’ve got lots of knives and this is the first with them as I just like things with the fewest parts needed...so I guess this needed bearings. Regardless, did I mention that it’s REALLY NICE? :)

SpyderCuse
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Postby SpyderCuse » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Am I the only one who kinda likes the look with no covers? You lose the clip and not as comfortable in hand but has a nice minimalist look to it.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bbturbodad, Bing [Bot], blues, Bourget117, Google [Bot], kennethsime, ladybug93, LarryInLex, nerdlock, NorthShoreBoiBoi, Notsurewhy, S-3 ranch and 32 guests