1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: 1st Impressions Of The New SpyOpera

Post by ABX2011 »

I wonder how they round the spine in a production setting.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:19 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am
great to see it in the wild! I'm excited to see how Lionsteel's m390 holds up.
The only way I'd have to tell just how hard this M390 is right now is by sharpening it. (verses using it) I've been using the brown Tri-Angles on the Sharpmaker to match the angle of the grind and remove the original grind pattern. After sharpening AEB-L, S30V, and BD1N lately, in the same manner, it's going slow with the M390; which is what you'd expect. I'm just beginning to see the new scratch pattern left by the Tri-Angle, so it's not taking a lot off.
That's good to hear. Hopefully it sticks around long enough for me to grab one, I've got a few things on my knaf list ahead of this lol.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:37 am
I wonder how they round the spine in a production setting.
An end mill that’s concave on the sides? Kinda like an hourglass? )(

That’s an interesting question. Looking at the knife right now I’ve noticed that not only are the spine of the blade and back spacer radiused, but so are the liners. The only sharp edge is the one that counts.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:23 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks for the review! I'm still trying to decide if I'll get one. We'll see

Same. I like that this is a production knife and I will have some time to mull it over, watch the reviews come in, see user photo, hear of any issues, etc. I'll likely end up with one down the road.

The mulling is over. :rolleyes: Placed my order tonight. Looking forward to checking this out in person. My initial impression without having held it yet is that I wish they would have went with Lionsteel's other go-to steel Sleipner. It would have mini Cru-Carta Shaman vibes with a Sleipner blade. Maybe we can get an OD Green / Sleipner sprint if this base model gets a good reception.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I think this is going to be a nice little piece. Kind of simple, kind of odd looking at the same time. I think it will be a very functional, usable EDC knife. The m390 will most likely be on the softer side, 59ish, but that just means it will perform like s30v, maybe a little better. I'd like to see Sleipner on the next colab.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I don’t know what it is but I like the look of the blade. Too bad they excluded lefties. Oh well, bank account is happy with that, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:20 pm
Too bad they excluded lefties. Oh well, bank account is happy with that, lol!
Not sure what you mean... a back-lock is ambidextrous. That's one of the positive things about a back-lock.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:41 pm
spyderg wrote:
Not sure what you mean... a back-lock is ambidextrous. That's one of the positive things about a back-lock.
The pocket clip is right side, tip up only.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:44 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
spyderg wrote:
Exactly, if I can’t carry it lefty an ambidextrous lock doesn’t mean anything to me. I have no problem using a “right hand” compression lock on say my PM2 and I can actually carry it.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:24 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:44 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
spyderg wrote:
Exactly, if I can’t carry it lefty an ambidextrous lock doesn’t mean anything to me. I have no problem using a “right hand” compression lock on say my PM2 and I can actually carry it.
Ah ha! I didn't even notice the position of the pocket clip. Thanks for clarifying.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mine came today, luckily. My mailman handle me a pile of junk mail and said "have a good one" and I was like "I think there is supposed to be a package". He looked for awhile and found the small box. Whew!

Overall impression is this thing is AWESOME! Makes for a great gentleman's folder with the smooth Micarta and the M390. I am glad this is a production piece, but I feel like it is going to still sell out of the first run immediately and folks who miss out will be waiting months for the next run.

It slides out of my pocket much easier than my FRN or peel ply G10 knives, which makes me a little nervous for losing it and not realizing it. I still would love to see a sprint or a production variant in coarse matte OD Green Micarta with Sleipner steel, but I will definitely hold on to this one as a great little gentleman's folder. Well done Spyderco and Lionsteel!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 pm
Mine came today, luckily. My mailman handle me a pile of junk mail and said "have a good one" and I was like "I think there is supposed to be a package". He looked for awhile and found the small box. Whew!

Overall impression is this thing is AWESOME! Makes for a great gentleman's folder with the smooth Micarta and the M390. I am glad this is a production piece, but I feel like it is going to still sell out of the first run immediately and folks who miss out will be waiting months for the next run.

It slides out of my pocket much easier than my FRN or peel ply G10 knives, which makes me a little nervous for losing it and not realizing it. I still would love to see a sprint or a production variant in coarse matte OD Green Micarta with Sleipner steel, but I will definitely hold on to this one as a great little gentleman's folder. Well done Spyderco and Lionsteel!

Aaaaand...I just got my first knife cut in years closing this thing. :( Gotta remember to choke up all the way with the index finger as there is no room for error like on the Delica, Endura, Native, etc! I figured it was only a matter of time before this happened since I am so used to closing the ones I mentioned, but I didn't think it would be so soon! I was already in "user mode" at the time. I had just opened another box with it and was closing it unconsciously without thinking about it. Doh! Luckily it is small and nothing a little super glue couldn't fix!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Nice looking knife, love the canvas Micarta, as well as M390.
Wow :eek: handle to blade ratio. I think adding the lanyard to the back end ???

I may still get one if I hear good things
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
WRB

Post by WRB »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Aaaaand...I just got my first knife cut in years closing this thing. :( Gotta remember to choke up all the way with the index finger as there is no room for error like on the Delica, Endura, Native, etc!
Precisely why I decided to hold off on this one. I could tell by the design that was going to happen to me, haha!
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Y'all don't have a callus there yet? I love the way the blade is rounded and the action worked for my guillotined finger.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Does the pivot on the SpyOpera run on bearings or washers? If washers what kind (Phosphor Bronze or Teflon)? If bearings what kind (Steel or Ceramic)?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:48 pm
Does the pivot on the SpyOpera run on bearings or washers? If washers what kind (Phosphor Bronze or Teflon)? If bearings what kind (Steel or Ceramic)?
A lockback on bearings would be super dangerous lol. I'm assuming it's on bronze washers.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:50 pm
RamZar wrote:

A lockback on bearings would be super dangerous lol. I'm assuming it's on bronze washers.

The LionSteel TM1 lock back folder has caged steel IKBS bearings.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

RamZar wrote:

It appears to be bearings now that you mention it. There is no pivot screw and the blade stock is slightly thinner than the lock bar and backspacer. This leads to a very small amount of side to side blade play, but the action is super smooth. I can Spydie flick this one with ease where I normally struggle with small backlocks like the Delica, Dragonfly, and Native LW. It opens so much smoother than any of these. Shining a light in it I can't make out any washers, so I am thinking it is bearings based on how smooth the action is.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:19 pm

It appears to be bearings now that you mention it.
I'm gonna hold out for a proper disassembly...
Lightly insane.