Will we ever get a FFG hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Will we ever get a FFG hawkbill?

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:54 pm
If the Superhawk had a little more curve/hook to it and SE it would be incredible. As it is (was) it really needed more hook, it was almost like a wharncliffe with a negative blade angle.

Interesting timing on this topic, I've been playing around with my Spyderhawk a lot lately and to my surprise (and I suspect to JD's horror) I think I'd prefer a slightly smaller blade on a hawkbill. On one hand there is definitely a reach advantage that's really handy when I'm trimming vines and plants, but on some tasks especially when I'm working with the blade tip it feels really "distant" if that makes sense, like the tip is so far from my hand it's difficult to have good control over it. I feel like we need a middle of the road hawkbill like the Superhawk that's beefy enough to use hard but FFG so it slices really well and has 3 inches or so of cutting edge.

Hey.........is it too soon to talk about a Rock Jumper hawkbill?? :eek: Honestly just got chills thinking about that.

SE/FFG/LC200N Rock Jumper hawkbill.....yes please!
Yes! A SE Hawk Jumper would be awesome, maybe in AEB-L :D
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:54 pm
If the Superhawk had a little more curve/hook to it and SE it would be incredible. As it is (was) it really needed more hook, it was almost like a wharncliffe with a negative blade angle.

Interesting timing on this topic, I've been playing around with my Spyderhawk a lot lately and to my surprise (and I suspect to JD's horror) I think I'd prefer a slightly smaller blade on a hawkbill. On one hand there is definitely a reach advantage that's really handy when I'm trimming vines and plants, but on some tasks especially when I'm working with the blade tip it feels really "distant" if that makes sense, like the tip is so far from my hand it's difficult to have good control over it. I feel like we need a middle of the road hawkbill like the Superhawk that's beefy enough to use hard but FFG so it slices really well and has 3 inches or so of cutting edge.

Hey.........is it too soon to talk about a Rock Jumper hawkbill?? :eek: Honestly just got chills thinking about that.

SE/FFG/LC200N Rock Jumper hawkbill.....yes please!
I too sometimes feel the tip is distant, but will use a pinch grip when precise work is needed. That being said, I find myself grabbing the dragonfly hawkbill more frequently. Aside from the obvious REX45 stuff, the Rock Jumper is the most exciting part of the reveal for me. The handle reminds me another of the Superhawk/Superleaf.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:08 am
Just look at all the other Hawkbill models and compare how many units have sold in PE versus SE. It's not even remotely close. I'm sure it's probably 85% SE to 15% PE>> and that's a conservative estimate.
Most Spyderco Hawkbills are only available in H-1, which has pretty poor PE edge holding. Maybe that's why the SE's are more popular?
OK I see what you're saying. But the H-1 issue really doesn't factor into it. Because even back when all the Spyderhawks were made with VG-10 at least 80% to 90% of the units sold were SE. The Harpy is still made with VG-10 and try finding a PE Harpy. There are not many because the demand is so low.

I've tried to find out what advantages PE Hawkbills have and I've not gotten very many good answers. Whereas the serrated Hawkbills have dozens of good uses for pull cutting jobs. Oh I do agree that H-1 is a lackluster performer in PE but it's supposed to be one of their better performers in SE. Yeah it confused me when I first heard it to. Until Sal himself confirmed it.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I caught a PE Matriarch on BForums. I thought I would dig PE. I ended up selling it.
I never carried it because there are much better PE blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:04 am
I caught a PE Matriarch on BForums. I thought I would dig PE. I ended up selling it.
I never carried it because there are much better PE blades.
On all the Hawkbills, Reverse S blades or just about any blade with substantial curve in it I like them much, much better in Serrated. I hardly ever use a PE Hawkbill or PE Reverse S blade. Other than collector pieces I really have no use for these types of blades in PE. When I carried a PE Cricket model for a short time years ago I did like it just a bit ( but I liked it much better in SE) but the blade was way too short for what I need a blade for as an EDC.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I wonder what the chances of getting a Sprint of the SUPERHAWK in SE are? More area under the curve hook, with diamond arc textured G-10 or Micarta?

Didn't the Spyderhawk Sprint sell out pretty quick? Perhaps a FFG version of the Spyderhawk, put it with the Cobalt lockbacks with SPY27 in that cool blue?

I woke up this morning thinking about a hawkbill, I may have a problem :eek:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:38 am
I wonder what the chances of getting a Sprint of the SUPERHAWK in SE are? More area under the curve hook, with diamond arc textured G-10 or Micarta?

Didn't the Spyderhawk Sprint sell out pretty quick? Perhaps a FFG version of the Spyderhawk, put it with the Cobalt lockbacks with SPY27 in that cool blue?

I woke up this morning thinking about a hawkbill, I may have a problem :eek:

I don't remember the Spyderhawk selling out as fast as some other sprints but it definitely didn't sit on shelves for much more than a couple months. There was a lot of demand for that sprint too, I ordered one the instant they went on sale because I was worried I wouldn't get one. There are some models like that (and I suspect like the Superhawk) that people overlooked the first time around but would jump to buy if they had a chance. I bet if they did a Captain sprint today it would sell out in one day, especially if they did that one in SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 am
I don't remember the Spyderhawk selling out as fast as some other sprints but it definitely didn't sit on shelves for much more than a couple months. There was a lot of demand for that sprint too, I ordered one the instant they went on sale because I was worried I wouldn't get one. There are some models like that (and I suspect like the Superhawk) that people overlooked the first time around but would jump to buy if they had a chance. I bet if they did a Captain sprint today it would sell out in one day, especially if they did that one in SE.
I purchased mine not long after joining the forum, Oct I think. Didn't really appreciate fully how good they were until they were gone.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd also really like an FFG PE Ladybug Hawkbill and FFG PE Dragonfly Hawkbill. Something like K390 would be perfect. Please sprint these since there is already K390 in Seki for the production series.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Higher

Post by Higher »

Neen_more_hawkbill_blades
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.