Quick intro, and recommendations :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtb2104

Quick intro, and recommendations :)

Post by mtb2104 »

Newbie here... Planted the seed of Spyderco only in late July 2020 due to the pandemic, and it grew very quickly. :D

Got Para 3 as the 1st real knife.. I wasn't really sure about the unique shape at first, but it definitely grows on me as it's just so comfy in hand!

Then I learned about Lil' Native and got it for its size and Compression Lock (which I learned to love on the Para 3) and steel liner + G10 (which gave a very solid feeling). I got Sharpmaker too at the same time, and sharpened wife's kitchen knife with success! :D

As I studied more about knife metals, I learned about LC200N, and hunted down a SpydieChef. It just felt awesome in hand.. the built quality is great, and it's comfy and smooth. The closing action is really hydraulic-ish! Really a special piece, esp when it's only my 3rd real knife, and 1st with RIL.

Given how special the SpydieChef is, I wanted something else with LC200N, and that brought me to Native 5 LW salt version. I wasn't very sure about FRN, the lack of phosphor bronze washers, and the YELLOW scales, but it was the only option. So I got it nevertheless. It is honestly more solid than I anticipated! Backlock is solid, and is actually easier to operate than expected. The blade clicks with authority, and I guess the sound might have been amplified by the FRN structure to some extend too.

But the scale colour and the lack of washers are still on my mind, so I may end up getting a G10 liner-less Native 5 and do a blade swap. Here I seek your feedback & recommendations on FRN vs G10+washer:

1. I suppose FRN eventually will wear thin (plastic on metal), and the tolerance will grow. Do we just tighten the pivot and it will be good to go for X amount of time?

2. Does anyone have to eventually replace those FRN scales because they are just so well-loved, and no amount of tightening would help anymore? When this happens, will Spyderco offer to replace them?

3. I noticed in the closed position, there are blade plays left and right. Not much, maybe 1mm or so, but I would definitely prefer something more solid like Para 3 / Lil Native / SpydieChef. Will G10 (no liner) with phosphor bronze washers minimize this play?

4. I hope Spyderco makes Para 3 in LC200N very soon! :D :D :D

Thank you Spyderco for marking these handsome and functional knifes, and thank you for reading from a newbie. :D
thumbnail.jpeg
Sharp Guy

Re: Quick intro, and recommendations :)

Post by Sharp Guy »

I currently have 4 Native 5 LWs. My S35VN version is my most carried/used and I bought it well-used on the secondary market. I haven't noticed any wear on the area where the blade rides nor have I had any noticeable increase in tolerances. The action is really smooth but it was like that when I bought it.

Lack of washers is a non-issue IMO. I wouldn't worry about the blade moving when it's closed/unlocked. As long as it isn't excessive it should be fairly normal. I'll have to check mine tonight when I get home but I've never noticed any excessive play when the blade is closed. It might be there but it's not something I worry about, so I've never noticed. Is there blade play when the blade is deployed/locked?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

Thanks for the affirmation Sharp Guy!
It is perfectly solid when deployed.. no left/right nor up/down play at all.

I guess it's just my typical newbie paranoia, and hunger for more information. :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome! You should try a Manix 2 G10 model!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:45 am
Agree, built like a tank, solid as a rock.

OP you are doomed, the addiction set in quick :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mtb,

Welcome to our forum.

FYI, we have FRN knives made in 1990 that are still serving their owners.

sal
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am
Hi Mtb,

Welcome to our forum.

FYI, we have FRN knives made in 1990 that are still serving their owners.

sal
Thank you Sal, and it's definitely great to hear!
Newbies worry too much. :D
Spydergirl88 wrote:
bouhunter wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am

Hahah Thanks for the welcome and recommendation!
Ya the addiction is tough to cut, but currently the Manix is too big for me. But never say never! :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mtb2104 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 pm
Newbie here...
You ask too many questions.

Which is why, like the rest of us here, you are doomed to have too many Spydies.

But, hey, given a world gone mad, you’ve found an otherwise safe port in the storm.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I wouldn't worry about the FRN wearing out. A lot of people talk down about Spyderco using "plastic" for handle scales, but FRN is much more than just "plastic". It's nearly indestructable. That Native should serve you well for years. As Sal said, plenty of FRN knives from the 90s still going strong!

You might want to check out a Manix 2 Lightweight, or a G10 version. They are pretty amazing knives! I sold my Lightweight, as I just never really grew to love it. Always preferred the G10 version, however I am kind of missing my LW. I may pick up another one at some point, but until then I have a Para 3 lightweight for my FRN fix! Would love a Paramilitary 2 Lightweight...haha!

I also enjoy my Native Chief, and that has no liners, just G10 handles. Very solid, yet very lightweight, and its a pretty big knife!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
vivi

Post by vivi »

I wouldn't worry about wearing out FRN. I have 10-20 year old FRN Spydercos that have been used hard that still work fine.
:unicorn
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 am
You ask too many questions.

Which is why, like the rest of us here, you are doomed to have too many Spydies.

But, hey, given a world gone mad, you’ve found an otherwise safe port in the storm.
This is so true... but I really don't hope my Spyderco collection will end up like my G Shocks :D
soc_monki wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 am
I wouldn't worry about the FRN wearing out. A lot of people talk down about Spyderco using "plastic" for handle scales, but FRN is much more than just "plastic". It's nearly indestructable. That Native should serve you well for years. As Sal said, plenty of FRN knives from the 90s still going strong!

You might want to check out a Manix 2 Lightweight, or a G10 version. They are pretty amazing knives! I sold my Lightweight, as I just never really grew to love it. Always preferred the G10 version, however I am kind of missing my LW. I may pick up another one at some point, but until then I have a Para 3 lightweight for my FRN fix! Would love a Paramilitary 2 Lightweight...haha!

I also enjoy my Native Chief, and that has no liners, just G10 handles. Very solid, yet very lightweight, and its a pretty big knife!
The recommendation for Manix is driving me to even look at them as we speak... this is bad... :cool:
vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 am
I wouldn't worry about wearing out FRN. I have 10-20 year old FRN Spydercos that have been used hard that still work fine.
Your affirmation is true valued! I have watched how you use your knives and I am sure I don't use them as hard as you. Thank you! :D
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Knife forums are bad in general. Everyone is an enabler. Haha!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
mtb2104

Post by mtb2104 »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am
Looking at your signature... are you one of the victim too? :D

Watch forums aren't better, so I am prepared... well, in a way :p
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

mtb2104 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:59 am
soc_monki wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am
Looking at your signature... are you one of the victim too? :D

Watch forums aren't better, so I am prepared... well, in a way :p
I suppose I am a victim...But it's all good, everyone needs a hobby! :D Having my collection in my signature also makes it easy for me to keep track of how large it is. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
bouhunter wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am

mtb2104 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 am
Hahah Thanks for the welcome and recommendation!
Ya the addiction is tough to cut, but currently the Manix is too big for me. But never say never! :D
I said that too early on....until I got one
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mtb2104 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 pm
Newbie here... Planted the seed of Spyderco only in late July 2020 due to the pandemic, and it grew very quickly. :D

Welcome to the forum! :)

- Linerless FRN / FRCP (even without washers): More than strong enough, even in long term use in my experience. Had a Native 5 LW and a Manix 2 LW, have another Manix 2 LW and a Pac Salt, they were / are all real users: No problems whatsoever.

- On the Manix:
Depends what makes a knife (too) "big" for you personally:
If you mean width in pocket: Yes, the Manix is big indeed.
If you are like me and width does not matter but closed length in pocket does (I don´t like knives that are too long in that regard): The Manix is really not that big
If you mean blade - / edge length: Also not a particularly "big" knife, though certainly bigger than the ones you own already...
I really love my "base model" Manix 2 LW in BD1N steel. I´d really recommend: Give that thing a try (in G10 or FRCP, whatever you prefer and depending on if superlight weight is important to you or not)!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

It looks like you have some great knives there and plan to aquire some more great ones. You're in the best phase of the hobby; the beginning. Enjoy it!

Steel on steel is much more of a concern, in regards to washers vs no washers. The Caly lineup is steel on steel, but done in a way that works well. That's not a common practice, but goes to show that washers aren't always necessary, and don't always improve the action or longevity of the knife. Steel on FRN shouldn't ever be an issue.

Since it was suggested in this thread already, I have a few things to say about the Manix.

The Manix 2 is one of the best knives Spyderco makes, for a number of reasons. The value is incredible, it gets lots of cool steels, comes in a variety of handle colors, and it's an incredibly efficient/capable work knife. Many people, myself included, consider the Manix 2 to be one of the most comfortable knives Spyderco makes. I would take that a step further and say that out of the more than 50 folding knives I've used, its one of the most well-rounded knives I can think of.

I mostly stuck with 3" blades for years. After trying larger ones, I began to realize what I had been missing. The large knives started to feel less obnoxious, and much more natural. Now, 3" knives feel quite small to me. At least half the time I have a P4 on me, which still seems odd, because it's got a 4.4" blade. I mean, that's almost comically huge. When I first opened the P4, it looked like a machete, but has proven it's usefulness time and time again. Now it's become a tool I can never part with. Most of the time, when I'm using a smaller blade, I wish I was using the P4. With it's longer, more capable blade, and larger, more comfortable handle, it makes most other knives feel like a compromise.