Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your lock preference

Poll ended at Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 am

Walker Liner Lock
9%
Reeves Integral Lock (frame lock)
3%
Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
29%
Back (mid) Lock
51%

Total votes: 115

Bloke

Re: Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 am
When talking ease and speed of closing a certain lock type
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

kobold wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 am
I am not a fan of the compression lock. It creates a hot-spot and it is unusable in thick gloves. Also it is not ambidextrous, due to its asymmetric design. Back-locks and Axis/Able/CBB locks do everything right on all accounts.
I'm just going to leave this here. https://youtu.be/C3eZF6ZS1nw

Also, they are fairly ambidextrous(moreso than liners/RIL), if you operate the lock tab with your thumb, similarly to how you would do on a backlock.
(Not recommended with the Caribbean... ouch!)

On the whole, I prefer a Backlock. But, the compression lock gets a bad rap in some areas, that it doesn't deserve.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kobold

Post by kobold »

Those are not thick enough! :D
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Rp5 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:11 am
Compared to a backlock, which obviously won the poll and are quite popular... I just don't get it.
Have you owned a Spyderco backlock? With a ricasso or finger choil, your finger does not go in the blade path when closing. Even then, the definitive half stop is there as well.

I get it - the "drop shut" of a compression lock knife is cool. But what purpose does it actually serve? Like Wartstein and others have argued, it's fun to use but actually less safe. And if you close a compression lock knife like most people do (fingers pinched on the back of the handle with no fingers on the front under the blade), you also are forced into a relatively insecure grip on the knife while closing, which is bad under slippery or off canter work conditions.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 am
Rp5 wrote:
Compared to a backlock, which obviously won the poll and are quite popular... I just don't get it.
Have you owned a Spyderco backlock? With a ricasso or finger choil, your finger does not go in the blade path when closing. Even then, the definitive half stop is there as well.

I get it - the "drop shut" of a compression lock knife is cool. But what purpose does it actually serve? Like Wartstein and others have argued, it's fun to use but actually less safe. And if you close a compression lock knife like most people do (fingers pinched on the back of the handle with no fingers on the front under the blade), you also are forced into a relatively insecure grip on the knife while closing, which is bad under slippery or off canter work conditions.

Perfectly put. Much better and briefer than I could (though I tried... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 am
When talking ease and speed of closing a certain lock type

:p :p

Alex, my friend, lately you´ve really generously overwhelmed me with the high honors of getting bloked! Thanks! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 am
Rp5 wrote:

Yeah, first Spydie folder I bought was a backlock. Have also used the Buck 110 backlock, Coldsteel Tri-ad... they're all just fine.

I'm not really trying to put down the backlock, it's just... compared to that compression lock. The thing is amazing. The purpose is that I can depress the lock and close the blade effortlessly. It's so smooth. I don't see it as "less safe" than a backlock. Your fingers are never in the path of the blade. Again, agree it may be more difficult to operate in the snow, but indoors I'll take the compression lock all day.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The compression lock is probably the least lefty friendly lock I've used. Never feels very secure or smooth during unlocking or closing. I much prefer backlocks or liner locks.