Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your lock preference

Poll ended at Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 am

Walker Liner Lock
9%
Reeves Integral Lock (frame lock)
3%
Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
29%
Back (mid) Lock
51%

Total votes: 115

JRinFL

Re: Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Post by JRinFL »

To risk further pulling this off-topic, for tethers and such, you can find many good ones places that cater to lighting techs. For one designed for tools and with a ratchet check out Gear Keeper.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

I really like the CBBL, but I only have it on my Manix 2 DLC model, so my experience with it is limited to that model. But I really like it a lot. Not sure how gunk would affect it, though.

I love Spyderco’s back locks. And they may be the best folding lock for Salt models.

At this point in my knife life, the only liner lock I really like is on the Military. I’ve had liner locks on other, non-Spyderco knives experience premature wear and lock slip. There’s definitely something special about the Military’s lock design. I own 4 Militaries, the first bought about 20 years ago, and have never experienced any problems with them.

Compression lock is another one I like. On the Caribbean, I wish the retention of the detent were stronger, but I’ve never had an issue with compression locks, either.

I have no opinion on Spyderco frame locks, as I don’t own any. I do like the frame locks on CRK knives.

Jim
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

For me back lock > ball bearing > liner > comp > frame lock.

Mid Back and BBL are ambidextrous, have close bias, and are easily open/closed one handed. I prefer the back lock mostly because of familiarity.

I like a good liner lock slightly better than a comp lock because I find comp locks more awkward to close.

Frame locks, I just don't like. I find them somewhat ugly and I dislike metal scales. They're slippery and cold. No lock is an absolute deal breaker for me, but this is closest.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:38 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:51 pm
The liner lock on the Military is the best liner lock I've used. It is exceptional. It never failed to keep the knife held securely open, and I used my old D2 Millie hard just like you.

I wholeheartedly agree and don't hesitate to repeat: For me the perfect Millie design would be kind of ruined and less usefull if it actually were to be replaced by a comp. lock Millie 2.
Agree 100%
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Higher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:52 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 am

My intent is to get to why you prefer one lock over the others. More information that way than just saying “I love the [insert lock type here].
liner lock - because it is convenient for me to close it with one hand. Pull out-open-close-remove with one hand. Yes, it can be done with others, but I'm so used to it. For me it is more convenient than compression lock or ball lock. Matter of habit.

But there is a back lock. Because this is the only knife lock without liners. There is no other in these knives. We're not talking about frame lock knives here. We're talking about lightweight knives with a minimum of detail.

P.S.
We need a new lock. For one hand in a light knife without liners. But not frame lock.

P.P.S.
I want to join the club "no liners"
If you're talking minimum detail it doesn't get much simpler than a frame lock. Two slabs of titanium, a stop pin, a pivot, and one or two other screws on each side holding it all together. The Sage 2 was 3.5 oz / 99 g vs. the 2.4 oz / 68 g of the Native 5 Salt. Quietcarry's "The Drift" is a the same size as the Native 5, but thinner. With milled Ti scales on both sides it weighs 2.6 oz. , or only 5.7 g more than the liner-less, plastic handle Native 5. No liners, and a very tiny spacer at the back of the scales, so the handle is flow through. The only thing that would be better for a lightweight, liner-less, one handed knife would be an integral compression lock like the first A.T.R. had; but Sal says those are way to expensive to make now.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

The mid back lock as used on the Native 5 works for me. On the farm a pocket knife gets used hard and often. The fact that I can open and close the Native with one hand (either one) makes life easier and safer working around animals. I sure don't have to worry about it opening up in my pocket. The fit, finish, and great Cru-Wear blade make the Native a joy to own.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I have a strong preference for back lock knives. The bulk of my locking folders are back locks. I can appreciate a comp lock in the Shaman and a frame lock in the SpydieChef. Those knives are ones that are special, for which i make exception to my strong preference for back locks with a 50/50 choil. The Native family back locks and the Stretches are favorites.

I really value the strong self close and close bias. I do not like relying on a detent ball/ hole interface to keep my knives closed. I also like slipjoints in part for these attributes.

One-handed operation is easy to do safely in a variety of ways with a back lock.

I also have never had a problem with the lock on a folding knife holding a blade open, but i grew up with slip joints until i was in high school and still don't overly rely on the lock mechanism.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

My favorite lock is a Liner Lock, unloved Back Lock.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I came to Spyderco for the compression lock, but after getting my first Spyderco backlock (Delica), it’s hard to go back to the compression lock.
For me the backlock is just faster and easier for one-handed opening & closing.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Resurrecting an old thread to gush about the Compression Lock.

Spyderco knocked the ball out of the park with this thing. I love the compression lock. I carried an old Gerber for like 10-12 years that was a great linerlock. When I got back into knives recently, I bought a few linerlock/framelock knives, and I always thought, "This is just how folding knives close." They're fine, but I've never enjoyed closing a knife as much as I have since I got a compression lock. I probably don't have to explain needing to move your fingers out of the blade path or the friction a linerlock puts on a blade while closing to anyone, but the drop shut action of the compression lock is a new marvel to me. You just hold open the lock... and GRAVITY CLOSES IT. I've been such a sucker closing my own knives all this time! No hand repositioning, no pushing the blade home... you can just hold open the lock and rotate your hand. What a joy. Granted you can do the same thing with an axis lock or a CBBL, but those locks are more of a struggle to hold open than a compression lock for me not to mention increased maintenance. The comp lock is so tremendously easy to use. Every time I use my knife, I have to open it, cut something, and close it. Every time. The comp lock has made step three so much more enjoyable. (I'm not even getting into the increased safety mechanics compared to a linerlock, but they're there too.)

Compared to a backlock, which obviously won the poll and are quite popular... I just don't get it. Most of the backlock enthusiasts I've seen say, "It's so easy, you just wrap your fingers around the front and push the button, start the close, then reorient and slide it closed the rest." I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. What's the point of a lock on the back of the knife if you still put your fingers in the blade path? I mean, again, I can do it - it's not a problem. I'll even grant it's probably a better lock type if you're wearing gloves, but it's just fine. It's adequate. It just doesn't compare to me when the compression lock is so insanely easy to use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rp5 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:11 am
Resurrecting an old thread to gush about the Compression Lock.

Spyderco knocked the ball out of the park with this thing. I love the compression lock.

Compared to a backlock, which obviously won the poll and are quite popular... I just don't get it. Most of the backlock enthusiasts I've seen say, "It's so easy, you just wrap your fingers around the front and push the button, start the close, then reorient and slide it closed the rest." I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. What's the point of a lock on the back of the knife if you still put your fingers in the blade path? I mean, again, I can do it - it's not a problem. I'll even grant it's probably a better lock type if you're wearing gloves, but it's just fine. It's adequate. It just doesn't compare to me when the compression lock is so insanely easy to use.

Glad you enjoy comp. locks that much! It is a cool and ingenious design indeed, and these days I am really thinking about getting a (comp.lock) Sage 5 LW.

/ Now to your questions about the the backlock:
It would be a bit redundant to repeat all what is said about it in this thread anyway (by others and myself), so just some quick points:
- As you said, the fingers CAN be kept "all the way out of the blade path" with a backlock too (though not important to me personally at all, especially with a knife that has Ricasso or choil)
- But it is much less important with a backlock to actually do so (keep the fingers out of the blade path) than with a comp. lock, cause the former stays firm and safely in a half closed position (while the comp. lock makes the blade more loose and floppy when released)
- This difference brings us to one of the main advantages of the backlock for me: Staying firmly in a half closed position is what makes it so versatile and overall safer than a comp. lock, if you combine "safe in hand while closing" and "safe for the fingers"
- When talking ease and speed of closing a certain lock type, imho one has to consider:
1.) Knife in hand in a working grip (cutting something)
2.) Repositioning in order to being able to activate the lock
3.) Closing
(Perhaps 4.) How much repositioning of the now closed knife is necessary in order to put it in the pocket)
Considering all this, for me the backlock is as fast if not faster to close one handed as a comp. lock, and certainly safer. The "harsher" the conditions or the number / wetter the hands, then more that is true.

One thing that speaks for the comp.lock: It is both a lock for "newbs" AND more experienced knife users, who just prefer that type for whatever reason.
While the backlock certainly does take some more getting used to till it plays out all of its advantages, and so imho is better suited for people who use their knives a bit more frequently
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Kind of fond of the Bolt Action Lock. Not too many good examples out there, tho. Smooth and easier to operate than a CBBL and definitely more durable than an Axis Lock. Don't understand its lack of popularity.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:50 am
Kind of fond of the Bolt Action Lock. Not too many good examples out there, tho. Smooth and easier to operate than a CBBL and definitely more durable than an Axis Lock. Don't understand its lack of popularity.

Never had one. Some say it is harder to use with wet or sweaty fingers than a CBBL.
I find the CBBL really easy to operate in many ways (like in many one handed closingh methods) though already.
Coming from personal experience I agree on the not-too-good durability of the axxis-lock.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am not a fan of the compression lock. It creates a hot-spot and it is unusable in thick gloves. Also it is not ambidextrous, due to its asymmetric design. Back-locks and Axis/Able/CBB locks do everything right on all accounts.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 am
I am not a fan of the compression lock. It creates a hot-spot and it is unusable in thick gloves. Also it is not ambidextrous, due to its asymmetric design. Back-locks and Axis/Able/CBB locks do everything right on all accounts.

Also backlocks not only don´t create "cutout-hotspots", but actually gain comfort in hand due to the closed back.
Furthermore, the steel of the lockbar on the back of the handle make backlock knives pretty solid, even when linerless.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:19 am
Furthermore, the steel of the lockbar on the back of the handle make backlock knives pretty solid, even when linerless.
I am still surprised by that. At first I was thinking "Uh-oh, problems", but it is a bit like a rattail in a puukko.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

kobold wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 am
/shrug. I guess on some models it may. Doesn't contact my hand on my PM2, choked up or relaxed back grip.
kobold

Post by kobold »

It was the Para 3 cutting cardboard.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 am
Considering all this, for me the backlock is as fast if not faster to close one handed as a comp. lock, and certainly safer. The "harsher" the conditions or the number / wetter the hands, then more that is true.

One thing that speaks for the comp.lock: It is both a lock for "newbs" AND more experienced knife users, who just prefer that type for whatever reason.
While the backlock certainly does take some more getting used to till it plays out all of its advantages, and so imho is better suited for people who use their knives a bit more frequently
I'll agree with you on the harsher conditions. If I had to use my knife to fix a fence post on a winter evening, I'd probably prefer a backlock, especially considering the glove factor. If I'm working in a box factory... I'll cut cardboard with a compression lock all day long.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:54 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:50 am

Never had one. Some say it is harder to use with wet or sweaty fingers than a CBBL.
Actually I've found the reverse to be true. Go figure.