Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your lock preference

Poll ended at Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:06 am

Walker Liner Lock
9%
Reeves Integral Lock (frame lock)
3%
Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
29%
Back (mid) Lock
51%

Total votes: 115

MichaelScott

Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Post by MichaelScott »

** I omitted the back lock. Fixed. **

Note that I said “preference”, not best, strongest or any of that. You may of course state the reason or reasons for your preference. To remove other factors, consider only one knife offered with those four lock types shown in the poll, like a Para 2, or Delica.

You can only vote for one. Yet you can change your vote at any time.

My preference is the compression lock. It is stronger than any sane task it might be put to, engages positively, releases easily with one motion and protects your finger(s) from being cut whist closing. Although, humans as we are, someone, somewhere with figure out how to defeat this feature.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Re: Spyderco Lock Type Preference

Post by steelcity16 »

No backlock? Backlock is best lock. My preference of course.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:11 am
No backlock? Backlock is best lock. My preference of course.
hahaha!!! a lot of people are about to be upset over this one.

the compression lock is my favorite, but i have knives in most of the locks offered by spyderco and none are bad. cbbl is probably second. however, i do also enjoy the simplicity of the backlock on my pac salt for when it gets sandy in the ocean.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

the one knife that is my preferance is the manix 2 followed by pm2s

in order from most liked to least
cbbl
compression lock
liner lock
frame lock
bolt lock
axis lock
slip joint
and dont like at all lockback, midlock.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im sure fidgeters and people who care about how smooth deployment is would love this.

But people who work with their knives already know backlocks are the best option.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Pool is missing one if the best out there: backlock.

In order: backlock, CBBL............. compression lock.

Don't care for framelock, linerlock.
No personal experience with Stop lock, but that could be good too.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Where is the Backlock?

For me personally clearly the most versatile in use, safest and most comfortable to use in any condition (so also in harsher, cold, wet finger- outdoor use)

And by that certainly my preferred type of lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 am

My preference is the compression lock. It is stronger than any sane task it might be put to, engages positively, releases easily with one motion and protects your finger(s) from being cut whist closing. Although, humans as we are, someone, somewhere with figure out how to defeat this feature.
Both backlock and CBBL can also be closed with fingers all the time completely out of the blade path no problem.

Plus, in any other closing method they are safer for the fingers than the comp lock (due to the blade not being "floppy").

Also easier to use in not too ideal conditions imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

Compression is my choice because I like the ease of use when going about my daily tasks. There is a bit of a fidget factor too that is kind of neat. 90% of the time or more it's great.

But on the occasions that I decide to do some tougher cutting, requiring considerable force applied to the back of the knife, I find it a bit uncomfortable. In that case, I like the caged ball lock. Nothing wrong with a backlock either though.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

As already mentioned, poll is flawed missing the back lock.
I chose compression lock out of the available alternatives, but really it's a coin toss for me between (well executed) frame lock, liner lock or comp. lock. I think it's the "well executed" bit that tipped the scale for me since i haven't owned a quirky comp. lock knife, but i have had less than stellar frame lock and liner lock knives.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Native 5 Salt has made me a fan of back locks. I like the RIL for the simplicity of no liners and a thick slab of metal for mounting clip screws. I still want a Sage with an integral comp like the first gen ATR.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since the past has shown that this topic can easily lead to rather heated discussions ;), let me add: I DO like the comp lock, I admire it's design, I'd still take most Spyderco comp. lock knives over almost any backlock knife of another brand, but when asked explicitly my ranking is: Backlock...CBBL.........linerlock...framelock.....comp.lock.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

None of the above.

I have a very strong preference for the midlock and virtually all the Spydercos I carry use it. Hand neutral, strong enough for anything I'd do with a folding knife, allows handle symmetry, and works equally well with any handle and scale material from a one piece unlined FRN handle to exotic natural material scales and timascus bolsters over titanium liners.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Backlock=Compression>R.I.L>Liner>Feces>C/BBL
:D

I love the Comp and Backlock. I don't know that I can easily decide between the two.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I chose the Walker liner lock, but the back lock is my preference.

Edit: vote changed to back lock.
Last edited by xceptnl on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 am
Since the past has shown that this topic can easily lead to rather heated discussions ;)
You can be sure that this thread will bring some emotions :D
I have my popcorn ready :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Don’t really care what lock a knife has. More of a look and materials than lock.
Think I have had every lock ever made over the years and never had a issue using or getting used to one.

Most knives I buy nowadays don’t have a lock ( commonly called the fixed lock )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Nate

Post by Nate »

My order of preference currently is:

Back lock
Slip joint
Comp lock (held back for me since there's only one left hand version)
CBBL (limited model options)
Liner and Frame locks (Again, only one lefty option)

Truth is they're all good, but back locks and slip joints are what I've gravitated towards due to a confluence of subjective factors.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder:
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I voted cbbl, because I think it's the coolest! But I love the comp and spydercos backlock as well (at least on my Native Chief!)
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I genuinely do not think I have a lock preference.
-Nick :bug-red