Spyderco Caribbean CQI rusting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Harkwit

Spyderco Caribbean CQI rusting

Post by Harkwit »

Hi guys!

I got one of the new Caribbeans with the CQI black hardware, but unfortunately it looks like these are prone to rusting (though it's not particularly easy).

I had it in my pocket during a swim in the ocean in Sanibel; and once I took it apart the next day I noticed rust forming around the backspacers on the liners. It looks like it formed right on the flat lip where the stand offs enter the liners.

It wasn't horrible and I managed to clean most of it off. The scales are also dyed, so I know that puts it outside warranty and I won't get any help, but just want to put this little PSA out there to any other Caribbean owners that the hardware itself might not be as rust-proof as stated. The blade itself and the liners are completely fine.
JuPaul

Re: Spyderco Caribbean CQI rusting

Post by JuPaul »

Would dyed scales really void the warranty on something like this?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:16 pm
Would dyed scales really void the warranty on something like this?
I'm pretty sure all modifications void warranty. I had sent in a PM2 once that had a lanyard tube swapped (DLC for a Satin) with vertical play that they sent back unfixed. Still payed shipping though. It is what it is.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Could still be a contamination issue.

Theres a lot of factors going on. Construction, materials, factory, etc.

It does seem to me that the salts out of Taiwan are usually the ones having this issue.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 pm

It does seem to me that the salts out of Taiwan are usually the ones having this issue.

My Dfly rusted around the pivot and pivot washers. I think ultimately people just underestimate how incredibly difficult it is to make a rust proof knife and how harsh salt water really is on steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 pm

My Dfly rusted around the pivot and pivot washers. I think ultimately people just underestimate how incredibly difficult it is to make a rust proof knife and how harsh salt water really is on steel.
I have had light rust colored looking stuff around the pivot and pivot washers on a couple of frn salts. I also used to work on the beach, every day. My salts have had plenty of saltwater exposure. The "rust" issue you are describing cleans away easily. It also doesnt effect the function of the knife. It might not be completely rust proof, I think its those washers, but its real world rust proof.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."