Pacific Salt 2 Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Post by vivi »

History

Introduced over a decade ago, the Pacific Salt was a flagship model of the Spyderco Salt line. Based on the Endura 3, the Pacific Salt 1 was a huge success.

The Pacific Salt 2 adopts many of the changes introduced by the Endura 4, while having a couple unique features of its own.

Throughout its ~13 year run, the Pacific Salt went through many revisions. The clip was more squared off and jimping was coarser on early versions:

From left to right, a gen 2, late run gen 1, and early run gen 1.

Interestingly the Pacific Salt 1 adopted some of the characteristics of gen 2 before it ceased production. Made December 2019, this one sports blacked out hardware and Sal's logo:

Blade

The blades are essentially identical. Very little has changed between the two generations. Here is an image comparing a brand new Pacific Salt 1 vs 2, both serrated:

The Pacific Salt 2 (top) seems to have a slightly smaller kick.

I've been maintaining the knife with a fine sharpmaker rod, and sometimes I'll follow up with Venev 7 micron diamond paste on a custom strop.

Here's a video showing my typical touch-up process: https://streamable.com/7lpkll

The edge has held up well, just like my experience with the first gen.

I'll sometimes use it to cut through small branches like this on running trails. No rolling at the edge.

Handle

The ergonomic differences are what intrigued me the most.

I had previous experience with the Endura 4, and didn't remember the handle working very well for me. When Spyderco stopped making Pacific Salt 1's I stocked up, thinking the 2 wouldn't work for me.

Thankfully I was willing to give the handle design another shot, and I'm glad I did. I've come to appreciate the versatility of the design. It's ergonomic in a wide variety of grips with its neutral shape and subtle finger grooves.

Here's a video where I discuss the ergonomics and overall differences between the two generations: https://streamable.com/dpy4uh

The texturing is much better on the second generation. Carrying the Police LW I knew I'd like it better than the volcano style texturing.

The jimping on the spine is a welcome addition as well.

The subtle changes to the finger grooves gives the handle more versatility. By making the guard more abrupt and widening the first finger groove, I get a comfortable grip choked up or gripped further back. This grip doesn't work for me on the Pacific 1.

Clip

The clip has gone through a few changes. Instead of the Endura 3 tip up only clip held by a single large screw, we have an Endura 4 style four way clip mounted with three small torx screws. The handle has metal inserts embedded for the screws to grab on to.

The clip is also a good deal smaller. This plays a role in improving ergonomics. I feel it less while using the knife. I still find it carries just as well.

The guts

Taking each Pacific Salt a part is a slightly different process depending on which generation you're working with.

The first generation only has two screws holding the knife together at the pivot and lock bar. One scale, a blade, lock bar, lock spring and the clip.

The second generation has the pivot and lock bar screws, and three additional screws holding the rear end together. Handle is two piece construction and the clip uses three torx screws instead of one large barrell bolt. There's a few more pieces to keep track of but its still very easy to break it down for a deep clean.

There is some fascinating engineering going on with the handle.

There are four sets of embedded screw anchors for the clip. There are also embedded anchors for the three body screws situated behind the lock release. Both scales have three anchors embedded that the screws thread into, and the two handle scales sandwich the lock spring in place. That's a total of 18 embedded steel anchors, 9 per scale.

Final Thoughts

I'm glad I gave the Pacific Salt 2 a try. It improves on the first generation in numerous ways. Superior ergonomics, a more versatile clip and grippier texturing have kept this knife in my pocket and the Pacific Salt 1 in my knife drawer.
:unicorn
vivi

Re: Pacific Salt 2 Observations

Post by vivi »

This space reserved for a cutting demo video whenever I get around to it.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Nice write up. Good to have you active again.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Very interesting Vivi. I'm surprised that you found the ergonomics of the Endura 4 comfortable after all!

Myself, I think I still prefer the old Pacific Salt. I favor the Volcano over the Bi-directional and I like the clip design and the more squared-off end of the Pac Salt 1. That said, I have yet to handle/use the new one so maybe I'd change my mind.

Thank you for the good, thoughtful review!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice write up
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Great review especially liked the sharpening, good to have you back.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks everyone!

I've been brain storming things to include in the cutting demo. Here's what I've got:

- Cardboard
- Thin plastic wrap
- Push cutting paper
- Milk jugs
- Bicycle tire tubes
- Feather sticks
- Food (compared head to head vs my paring knife)
- Slice up some old shoes
- Various types of rope
- Leather
- Seatbelt

If there's anything non-destructive you'd like me to add let me know.
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 pm
Very interesting Vivi. I'm surprised that you found the ergonomics of the Endura 4 comfortable after all!

Myself, I think I still prefer the old Pacific Salt. I favor the Volcano over the Bi-directional and I like the clip design and the more squared-off end of the Pac Salt 1. That said, I have yet to handle/use the new one so maybe I'd change my mind.

Thank you for the good, thoughtful review!
There's definitely upsides to each design. The barrel bolt clip design is elegant in its simplicity, and being able to adjust it with any two coins is nice. The smoother volcana texture can be nice if carrying IWB since its less abrasive. Still hanging on to some gen 1's :)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I just wish the humps would be more subtle like on the endela. I tend to like more neutral handles instead of something that forces a grip. That’s why the police 4 lightweight killed the endura 4 for me.

Other than that I like all that’s been done on the pac salt 2. Maybe I’ll pick one up one day...

Thanks for the write up! :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I also snagged several of the last run pacific salt 1s at discounted prices when they got discontinued.

The handle just works better for me. I can adjust to an endura 4 handle but it takes time. I dont feel like I have to adjust to the 1st gen handle.

Outside of iwb carry, which I usually try to avoid, I do like the bidirectional texture more.

Both clip types have advantages and disadvantages.

I do think there is something to be said for the simplicity of the 1 piece frn designs. But the multipiece frn designs are pretty much bullet proof as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if any of you that snagged extras has an extra yellow version laying around that you don’t want...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

ladybug93 wrote: if any of you that snagged extras has an extra yellow version laying around that you don’t want...
Im sure I could let mine go for msrp. :p
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
pdixon

Post by pdixon »

...or a blade, I just need a blade!

Excellent review, sir
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hey Vivi, nice write up. You have a very nice writing style.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:43 am
if any of you that snagged extras has an extra yellow version laying around that you don’t want...
I dropped you a PM
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Great write up Vivi. I love my E4s but I still am not sold on the Pac Salt 2 yet. Honestly I think the older barrel screw clip might be one of my favorites for strength and serviceability.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have three Pacific salt 1s in the boat and 2 spare in the stock pile before I get to using a New 2 and it’s good to hear they are just as good or better.

Great write up....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations. It's interesting how our preferences and opinions change over time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 pm
Thanks for taking the time to share your observations. It's interesting how our preferences and opinions change over time.
It really is. When I finally grew to like this handle I felt like such a putz for spending years bad mouthing the design. Been a long time since I've felt so blatantly wrong about something.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:56 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 pm
It really is. When I finally grew to like this handle I felt like such a putz for spending years bad mouthing the design. Been a long time since I've felt so blatantly wrong about something.

Said it before and it might be a bit off topic, but I am really glad you found out how the E4 handle works for you! :)
No secret that I love its ergos and the E4 is my favorite folder ever anyway.

Now I´d almost like to recommend the HAP 40 Endura to you: I know, rust prone tool steel which you´d normally corrode in a heartbeat, BUT: This one is cladded with SUS 410... So in a way it might be like an even better alternative to a dlc coating - ?! The very edge of a coated knife is exposed anyway, and in the case of the laminated Endura it is just a bit more area above the edge, which will likely heavily patina, but not "rust away"..

I think you´d love the steel and in a way by that you could try out a bit softer run (but still hard enough!) "Rex 45" without the corrosion problems... ?!

EDIT: I also know you don´t necessarely like burnt orange, but you could give the scales a dark color easily, or go for the Pakkawood HAP 40 Endura (about 20 grams heavier though than the FRN version)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Thanks Vivi, great write-up! I love the "book report" format too.. informative and concise. Looking forward to reading your report on the Siren!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..