The Galley-V, where to now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Re: The Galley-V, where to now?

Post by Michael Janich »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am
Does Spyderco offer brown rods for/with the Galley-V sharpener? (I really like the idea of 12” rods for kitchen knives.)
Not currently, and I don't know of any specific plans to offer them. As always, however, the best place to express interest in such things is right here...

Stay safe,

Mike
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:21 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am
Does Spyderco offer brown rods for/with the Galley-V sharpener? (I really like the idea of 12” rods for kitchen knives.)
Not currently, and I don't know of any specific plans to offer them. As always, however, the best place to express interest in such things is right here...

Stay safe,

Mike
I have plans to purchase the Galley-V, but if they were offered with the brown rods I likely would have already purchased one on pre-order. Not that I feel the fine rods are inadequate, but rather that I have found a love of a more toothy edge since I purchased my first brown benchstone.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:08 am
Hey, JD Spydo:

The edges of the CERAMIC cat's eye stones are definitely intended for sharpening serrations. The edges of the CBN ones are not. The instructions for the Gauntlet and Galley-V both explain this, but reading instructions isn't everyone's thing--at least at first.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for clearing the air on that one Mr. Janich :) It's kind of funny you mentioned that because my two sets of diamond stones for the 204 Sharpmaker didn't endure near as well on the corners as they did on the flats. But I'm sure that Spyderco will remediate those problems at some point>> they always do constantly improve everything they produce.

Hey while we're on the subject of "sharpening gear" I would like to ask you which sharpening kit and/or system would you prefer for traveling, field uses and survival if the need ever arises? Personally I'm looking forward to the GOLDENSTONE becoming available in more grit selections. And I also like the Doublestuff stones too for using in those types of scenarios.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, JD:

I usually keep one of Spyderco's Triangular Ceramic Files in my shaving kit when I travel. If any of my knives need a touch-up, I free-hand sharpen with that. The corners will even handle serrations.

Stay safe,

Mike
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I REALLY hope to see some finer/ultra fine rods for this in the future. If I’m being honest, it seems like quite the oversight that there aren’t any.
We’re talking about knives that chefs regularly take up to 5000-8000 grit and 600 is considered a starting point.

My chef knives are pretty much the only knives I demand that they stay at a very high sharpness at all times, and it’s a bit silly to think about trying to touch up a 240mm Gyuto on sharpmaker rods. Even my 165mm bunka is maxing out the sharpmaker rods.

Please consider making some in the future.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Interesting to see people asking for coarse rods for a 20° kitchen knife sharpener.
I’ve never seen ANYONE want a “toothy edge” on a chef knife...
🤔
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Haunted House wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:14 am
Interesting to see people asking for coarse rods for a 20° kitchen knife sharpener.
I’ve never seen ANYONE want a “toothy edge” on a chef knife...
🤔
I really have found it bites into the skin of peppers when doing draw cuts. This isn't the way I like the edge for my chef knives or my Santoku, usually it is my pairing knife or one of the 4"/6" utility knives.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

"Where to now?"
Well for me. After getting the Galley-V 600F, and touching-up a few of my kitchen knives quick. I couldn't help myself, and wanted to make this unit a bit more versatile. So I cut it most of the way down through the middle, and tried a few different sizes of transfer punches placed underneath. Until I was able to find another useful angle for me. 16°/32°. The answer? My 6 mm transfer punch, which measures 5.96 mm/0.2345".

Now that I've found the next angle I want to use. I will cut an angled HDPE poly base for this (2" x 6"), and drill holes in it as well. So that when I want a 12" long rod touch-up at 16°/32°. I can just unscrew it, and put the angled base underneath.

I really do love this unit, and it's longer stroke ability. The stones that come with it, are of course spectacular in quality. I do hope for some 12" Ultra Fine stones from Spyderco in the future, to use in it.