Spyderco Shaman Lock Up Issue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
YvetteBaker

Spyderco Shaman Lock Up Issue

Post by YvetteBaker »

Hi guy,

Having an issue with a Spyderco Shaman I purchased from blade HQ about 2 weeks ago. I took it out yesterday to carry and noticed that the lock is sticking. I looked around here and on google for some solutions but nothing has worked. Ive opened and closed it probably about 200 time in the past 24 hours. I don't want to disassemble because of the warranty. People here have said it really a non issue, most likely go away with time and its better than ****** lock up but.... it's new now and I want as close to perfection as I can get. I don't want to wait 6 month till it's broken in. That 6 months will be years for me cause it will be rotated out a lot.

My question is:

Do I contact Blade HQ or Spyderco?
SpyderNut

Re: Spyderco Shaman Lock Up Issue

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, YvetteBaker. If it were mine, I would likely contact Blade HQ first and see if they will offer an exchange for your knife. If that doesn’t work, I’d then contact Spyderco’s W&R and see about sending it in for a look. Hope it works out for you. The Shaman is a really fine knife. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spyderco will always say to call them first, however if it were me, I would ask BHQ for a replacement. Is this a coated blade or uncoated?

Personally, I do not mind a little lock stick, but everyone's tolerance for that sort of thing is different.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
carrot

Post by carrot »

Try rubbing a pencil lead on the lock interface. It will give it just enough lubrication to help with the sticking until it's worn in.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Excess oil on the lock interface/cutout can cause over travel and stick, it could be your problem, try and dry it out or blow out with some compressed air.
I have had this a couple times with new comp lock knives that came generously lubed. Otherwise spyderco would be the best people to help..
Last edited by w3tnz on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Is the lock sticking when you roll the blade out slowly? Reason I ask is any of the compression locks I've had that had lock stick really only did it when I would flick the blade out. It sticks because you're jamming the lock bar over against the tang farther/harder than it needs to be. None-the-less, on any of mine that had lock stick, it did go away in a fairly short amount of time. I rotate through a lot of knives. So none of them really get used all that much
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Mine actually had the opposite problem, blade play! It's gone now, just needed to work in a little. It does stick just a tiny bit now and again, but I don't see a problem with it. Better a little stick than a loose lock and blade play.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela