How well is the Enuff family doing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

How well is the Enuff family doing?

Post by Evil D »

Seems like they don't get much praise. Is it time for FFG/LC200N variants?

Despite my struggle with finding a carry option that works for me, I'd still be interested in them. I'm thinking a SE sheepsfoot to start with and maybe a PE leaf down the road (for myself I mean).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Re: How well is the Enuff family doing?

Post by cycleguy »

For me I'm struggling with the short stubby blade. I have the leaf and I'm likely going to sell it. Blade steel wouldn't make a difference. The "More Than Enough" (as crowned by one poster) discussed on the forum not too long ago seems to be the ticket. H1 SE works for me. I didn't take to LC200N as others have, so I would opt for something other than LC200N for the PE. I'm good with S30V for the base steal; and exclusives in different colors and steels.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 pm
Seems like they don't get much praise. Is it time for FFG/LC200N variants?

Despite my struggle with finding a carry option that works for me, I'd still be interested in them. I'm thinking a SE sheepsfoot to start with and maybe a PE leaf down the road (for myself I mean).
I’ve got a VG10 SE Sheepsfoot and I like it though it hasn’t seen much use. I’d like to send it to someone and have it converted to a Wharnie with a swedge on top if possible and then it would see more carry time horizontal at the 11 o’clock position.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm
For me I'm struggling with the short stubby blade. I have the leaf and I'm likely going to sell it. Blade steel wouldn't make a difference. The "More Than Enough" (as crowned by one poster) discussed on the forum not too long ago seems to be the ticket. H1 SE works for me. I didn't take to LC200N as others have, so I would opt for something other than LC200N for the PE. I'm good with S30V for the base steal; and exclusives in different colors and steels.

CG

I always assumed the size was to compete with other popular small fixed blade knives like the Izula 1/2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have a leaf shaped Enuff in my carry rotation. The size is okay for my needs. I wouldn't mind having one in 4V though, as I prefer to have the tough tool steels in fixed blades rather than folders.
Attachments
enuff_on_log.jpg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

4v Enuff would be awesome. I have to wonder if the market is there, though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:52 pm
I always assumed the size was to compete with other popular small fixed blade knives like the Izula 1/2.
Isn't the Izula significantly smaller? It looks suitable for neck knife duty, whereas the Enuff is more of a belt option.

Sidebar, does anyone have both a Mule and an Enuff?

Since getting picking up the PD1 Mule I've been wondering how different the Mule and "More Than Enough" would be.

Would love to see some comparison pics!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have the Enuff Salt. I like H1.

If there is a Spyderco prybar, this might be it.

I like it because it is a short blade (like the Izula) that its serrations effectively make longer. Given the 4mm stock, however, I have yet to get the serrations to my liking, but I’m getting there.

I usually carry it in my day bag, but I’ve canted the sheath so the knife can ride almost parallel to my belt for an easy crossdraw.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

A number of makers, like Bradford Knives, Bark River and LT Wright, produce small fixed blades in 3V, V4E and Cruwear. I feel like a 4V Enuff would be a good contender from Spyderco.

The Enuff is longer than the Izula, but is around the length of an Izula 2. The Mule is noticeably longer than the Enuff.
Attachments
enuff_vs_mule.jpg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve wanted an enuff for a while now, but i don’t care for the sheepsfoot for an edc fixed blade and vg10 isn’t compelling to me at all. honestly, i’ve never used it, but i think knives in vg10 are not priced to match the steel’s properties (from what i’ve read about it, that is). i’d love a se salt version in the leaf or clip blades. i don’t understand why those have never been made.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This knife has always intrigued me as well, and there has always been something that jumped the line when purchasing. I do love the full size grip on the shorter blade, it offers so much control. One thing is I want the H1 but not yellow scales for EDC, I would have to dye them. The other thing is I worry about sagging carrying the knife horizontal on my lower back, can someone comment to this.

A K390 PE leaf with the Blue FRN would be awesome in this!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm
For me I'm struggling with the short stubby blade.
This is my main problem with the ENUFF models. For the types of cutting jobs I'm usually faced with I'm finding that a full sized blade in the 3.25 to 4.00 inch range works best for me.

Other than the Dodo I haven't found many short blades that I like much. Or am I missing something with this model?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm
A number of makers, like Bradford Knives, Bark River and LT Wright, produce small fixed blades in 3V, V4E and Cruwear. I feel like a 4V Enuff would be a good contender from Spyderco.
I own the Bradford Guardian 3 in v4e, in both wharncliffe and drop point. I also own the Enuff in VG-10 (leaf) and H-1 (sheepsfoot serrated). The Guardians get _a lot_ more carry time than the Enuffs. The H-1 Enuff is a really, really good niche knife for rescue use (and water use, too, I'd imagine but that's not my case). The leaf blade VG-10 Enuff is a nice knife, but it really doesn't compare well with the other small fixed blades I own.

Ergonomically, the Enuff is pretty good (and different from the Guardian). A closer comparison is probably the Creely Mako (which I own in Rex 121). I actually think of the Mako as a sort of high end, super refined Enuff.

To be fair, all the other knives I carry in preference to the Enuff are substantial more expensive. I think I paid about $100 for the Enuff, around $200 for the Guardians, and north of $400 for the Mako.

I think that to make me carry the Enuff more often in preference to my other choices, I'd either want it to go more upscale (4v at a $200 price point would achieve that) or more inexpensive (BD1n at a $70 price point maybe?).

Now I'm thinking about it though, so maybe I'll try taking the Enuff on vacation with me in a couple weeks and try to give it another good shot.
carrot

Post by carrot »

For me, the Enuff only became a serious carry piece when I got a custom kydex and an Ulti-Clip for it. Now it carries easily and quietly IWB at 1 o'clock or at 4 o'clock.

I can share the maker's name if anybody needs, he's got all three flavors of Enuff so can make them without you sending it in.

Sorry for the potato photo.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

carrot wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 am
For me, the Enuff only became a serious carry piece when I got a custom kydex and an Ulti-Clip for it. Now it carries easily and quietly IWB at 1 o'clock or at 4 o'clock.

I can share the maker's name if anybody needs, he's got all three flavors of Enuff so can make them without you sending it in.

Sorry for the potato photo.
based on what i’ve read about this model, i’d have to do the same. i’m not a huge fan of molded plastic sheaths. ultimately though, still looking for something better than vg10 or se h1 in a different blade shape.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now don't get me wrong because I do think it's a nice design for a short bladed model. And I'm sure it's an awesome tool for the right job. But short bladed models just don't do what I need done with a working blade.

Actually I would like to see a larger scale model of the Dodo in SE & PE both.

I do think the ENUFF would be great for warehouse work and any other job where you need to open a lot of packages in the course of a busy work day. I'm also sure the LC200N was a great improvement.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm

The Enuff is longer than the Izula, but is around the length of an Izula 2. The Mule is noticeably longer than the Enuff.
Interesting! The handles look pretty similar (roughly 4" ea?) but the blade lengths are significantly different. Makes me excited for the "More than Enuff" fixed blade from the Affordable Fixed Blade Knife thread. I agree on the steel selection.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I like the Guardian 3 as well. I'd have to say that I like small fixed blades in general. These are some of the ones that I rotate.

Perhaps the advantage of the Enuff in this crowd is its affordability, although even that is under threat, as some makers are offering competitive models at this price range.
Attachments
small_fixed_blades_2020_kenn.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

We have a new version of the Enuff 2 being prototyped with a 4.0" 3mm thick leaf blade.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:15 pm
We have a new version of the Enuff 2 being prototyped with a 4.0" 3mm thick leaf blade.

sal
I like the sounds of that. VG10 FFG?
:unicorn