One month carry: which one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which knife should The Meat man carry for the next month?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Autonomy 2
12%
Manix 2 LW Maxamet
19%
Byrd Rescue 2
3%
Pacific Salt SE
22%
Rescue 3 FFG (modified)
7%
Manly Peak S90V
5%
CRK Large Sebenza 21
14%
Police 4
19%

Total votes: 59

The Meat man

Re: One month carry: which one?

Post by The Meat man »

JustinB wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm
Not a single bad choice there! I voted CRK Seb because it's an absolute classic and will always have a spot in my EDC rotation/ collection
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm
I also chose the Sebenza. We don't see much about them here on the forum, especially with prolonged use. You do such great reviews, I'd be very interested in your analysis after a month of carrying it and see if you feel it justifies that steep price! Make it happen Connor!!
I've been carrying that one almost exclusively since I bought it about a month ago. It's a great knife so I wouldn't mind doing another month with it. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:37 pm
How do you like that Autonomy 2? I like it.
Definitely in my top three favorite knives of all time and one I'll never sell. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:15 pm
Dont even know what the manly peak is but it lools awesome
Im voting for it.
Also modified rescue 3 and police also seem like cool 1 month carries.
It's a pretty nice knife for the money. (Around $100 directly from Manly Knives in Bulgaria.) Fit and finish is way below Spyderco levels but overall it's not too bad. The best thing about their knives is the thin grind - this one is about 0.014" BTE at maybe 27-28 dps. Hard to find that kind of geometry for that kind of money, especially in CPM S90V.
- Connor

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

No doubt you have decent history with some of these. Which one has the least? Which one do you have the most questions about? That would be my suggestion.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Try the Police 4. :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:53 pm
No doubt you have decent history with some of these. Which one has the least? Which one do you have the most questions about? That would be my suggestion.
Of these, the one with the most logged pocket time is probably either the P4 or the Pac Salt.

Least is most likely the Manly, Byrd, or Rescue.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 pm
Try the Police 4. :)
I almost put that it my pocket today after lunch, but went with the Maxamet Manix instead. :)
- Connor

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So you don't want to have to sharpen this month?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 pm
So you don't want to have to sharpen this month?
No I'm planning on maintaining whatever edge I end up with throughout the month. I just can't stand dull edges especially with serrations.
- Connor

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Since the police 4 lightweight and the SE endela weren’t options, I voted for the SE pac salt.

Not that I like those 2 better.... but it would have made my choice in voting much harder.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:19 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:09 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:04 pm
I also chose the Sebenza. We don't see much about them here on the forum, especially with prolonged use. You do such great reviews, I'd be very interested in your analysis after a month of carrying it and see if you feel it justifies that steep price! Make it happen Connor!!

If they ever make one with a thumb hole I'm gonna buy one and beat the ever loving **** out of it. I just can't go back to thumb studs, especially for that price but if they ever come around and put a hole in there I'm all over it.
I agree 100%. I saw a pic of a sebenza with a spydie hole mod the other day. Looked great! It made me wonder why there's never been a collab...didn't Sal say that Chris Reeve was their first distributor in South Africa? So iirc, there's already a history and a relationship there.
I feel hundreds of dollars in my pocket suddenly fleeing... I have a large seb 21 And have almost purchased a modified one with a hole instead of a thumb stud on more than one occasion. CRK should put a thumb hole option out there so the warranty isn’t voided on a $400+ knife.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I voted for the Manix 2 LW in Maxamet. I recently had a very successful sharpening session with my Maxamet Manix, and I've been carrying it quite a bit since. I'd like to hear what you think of yours!

My next vote would be the Sebenza, because too many people have those knives without using them.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
acer

Post by acer »

Manix2 lwt👍
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Picked the Byrd because no one had picked it and probably not many will.

Mrs standy99 has carried this one for 10 years on surveys at work in tropical Northern Australia. Hadn’t seen it for a bit as it was in her work kit.

Changed from the Pacific Salt.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Pacific Salt. If you like it, you need to try FFG serrations (Endela, Caribbean, or an older Stretch). They are amazing.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:49 am
Pacific Salt. If you like it, you need to try FFG serrations (Endela, Caribbean, or an older Stretch). They are amazing.
There is the Rescue 3 FFG option. ;)
- Connor

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Byrd Rescue 2. Show these fine folks what a $25 Spydie/Byrdie can do, it's such an underrated knife!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Manix in Maxamet. Curious to see if you find the steel balanced for edc.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I chose the one that I would carry, the Manix 2. Everybody has different tastes so I can't choose the best for you. My preference in EDC includes various versions of the PM2 and various versions of the Manix 2.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Of the knives shown, I picked the Pacific Salt 2. It depends on what the planned uses and the environment will be.

The Manix 2 is one of my favorite Spydercos, but I have no experience with the LWT version, nor with Maxamet, so I didn’t vote for that.

Jim