Discontinued List 2021 Speculation Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

Re: Discontinued List 2021 Speculation Thread

Post by toocool006 »

I would be surprised if the Techno 2 gets disco'd.

I'm kinda nervous for the Brouwer (though getting another one or two for cheap would be some small consolation...)
~andrew
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Doubt the Techno 2 gets axed.

Would love for it and the Chef to get the same wonderful steel insert and action as the swayback, though.

Though one thing about the Techno 2 that the Techno 1 doesn’t have it a visible detent hole. Bugged me so much I unloaded my 2.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:58 pm
The Roc had been around forever and I can't imagine it's a super hot seller. I have never seen even a picture of one here on the forum.
Agree.
Seems like a lot of Specialty and Prestige models are one hit wonders. There is some talk when they get released and then you never heard of them again.
I can't remember when was the last time someone talked about Tropen, Roc or even a Parata....even some fixed blades are quite rare, like Zoomer, I remember one thread about it, but that's about it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A lot of the Taichung knives are one or two batches and then discontinued:
  • Amalgam
  • Brouwer
  • Caribbean
  • Chaparral Raffir Noble
  • Dog Tag
  • Drunken
  • Ikuchi
  • Kapara
  • McBee
  • Paysan
  • Rhino
  • Schempp Bowie
  • Sliverax
  • Subvert
  • Techno2
  • Tropen
  • Tusk
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 am
  • Amalgam
  • Brouwer
  • Caribbean
  • Chaparral Raffir Noble
  • Dog Tag
  • Drunken
  • Ikuchi
  • Kapara
  • McBee
  • Paysan
  • Rhino
  • Schempp Bowie
  • Sliverax
  • Subvert
  • Techno2
  • Tropen
  • Tusk
Not a chance that the Caribbean will be discontinued.

Also, with as popular as the Kapara is, I doubt very much it'll get chopped this year.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I was wrong with 100% of last year's disco'ed speculation. I will pass this year.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's always tought to predict. The bigger question (for me) is which of the discontinued models will be heavily discounted. Sometimes they make a graceful exit as inventory is depleted. Other times, Spyderco is sitting on a lot of 'em.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can see a lot of things on Ramzar's list that I'll buy if they do go on Disco sale, that's for sure. Brouwer, Techno 2, a back up Rhino...a couple others.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have never understood why some think the back lock is superior to the compression lock, or why they just bash the compression lock. Although I have nothing against a back lock, and focus in the knife rather than which lock it has, I think the compression lock has more advantages than the others and prefer it when possible. I would not be surprised to see the Lil’ Native back lock discontinued.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 pm
I think the s30v model might get disco'd, but a salt model (maybe a lightweight salt model) will take its place.
My thoughts exactly. The current backlock version doesn't seem to sell as well as the comp lock models. However, a lightweight backlock lil native salt would fill a missing need in the golden lineup for sure
If the Lil Native backlock had liners and a wire clip, I would prefer it.

Fortunately, I have the Dragonfly(Wharnie should be here soon)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I suspect that the backlock version of the Lil' Native will be discontinued. Why you ask? Because I REALLY like this knife so it stands to reason that it will be discontinued.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:19 am
I have never understood why some think the back lock is superior to the compression lock
I prefer it because of the close bias. The back lock stays closed more securely and 're closes' itself if it comes slightly open. The back lock is also ambidextrous, where the comp lock is 'handed'.

These are similar to the reasons that I prefer the CBBL to the comp lock.

Basically I like the close bias and the ambidexterity, and the comp lock lacks those characteristics.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

cwoods wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 pm
Here's to hoping the GB 2 hasn't been axed.
I strongly agree. I've really been wanting to get a GB2 but haven't been able to find one.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:44 am
RamZar wrote:
  • Amalgam
  • Brouwer
  • Caribbean
  • Chaparral Raffir Noble
  • Dog Tag
  • Drunken
  • Ikuchi
  • Kapara
  • McBee
  • Paysan
  • Rhino
  • Schempp Bowie
  • Sliverax
  • Subvert
  • Techno2
  • Tropen
  • Tusk

Also, with as popular as the Kapara is, I doubt very much it'll get chopped this year.
I would riot if they d/ced the Caribbean. It's one of the best knives in the lineup.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:44 am
RamZar wrote:
  • Amalgam
  • Brouwer
  • Caribbean
  • Chaparral Raffir Noble
  • Dog Tag
  • Drunken
  • Ikuchi
  • Kapara
  • McBee
  • Paysan
  • Rhino
  • Schempp Bowie
  • Sliverax
  • Subvert
  • Techno2
  • Tropen
  • Tusk

Remember that the Caribbean has four models. I think some may get discontinued.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:01 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:20 pm
...a lightweight backlock lil native salt...
Instant buy.
I really think a lightweight backlock lil native would be a great knife.
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

MichaelScott wrote:
I have never understood why some think the back lock is superior to the compression lock, or why they just bash the compression lock. Although I have nothing against a back lock, and focus in the knife rather than which lock it has, I think the compression lock has more advantages than the others and prefer it when possible. I would not be surprised to see the Lil’ Native back lock discontinued.
The compression lock is somewhat easy to disengage because it is placed very near the finger tips. I noticed in using a PM2 that I could grab or poke the lock if I wasn't careful. Otherwise it is a good blend of security and convenience. In terms of sheer security, a heavy backlock is supreme.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I am pleasantly surprised every year that the Centofante 3 doesn’t get disco’d. It’s been in the catalogue for a very long time so it must sell okay but apparently not well enough to justify any CQI or a sprint. It might just have run out of road this year .... or I’ll just be pleasantly surprised again and I’ll be wondering again if we’ll ever see a different steel or screw construction.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:

Funny, I personally can´t recall anyone "bashing" the comp. lock, but quite some doing this to the backlock... ("awkward to impossible to close one handed" "fingers can´t be out of the blade path when closing (which is nonsense)" "hate it" and so on..) ;)

I personally like both, but clearly prefer the backlock. I think there are reasons to like the one over the other and vice versa, but just for me a lot more that speak for the backlock. Here just a few:
- Totally ambidextrous
- More and especially more safer ways to close on handed (due to the blade being not floppy but staying half open)
- Using the "fingers never in the blade path" method: A backlock knife is less likely to get dropped, since with most models the back of the handle rest securely in the palm when one closes it with the fingers always out of the blade path.
- Easier to operate with cold, numb fingers or thick gloves
- More secure concerning opening in the pocket accidentally
- Most times a bit more comfortable handle, especially in prolongoued work due to the closed back and cause a backlock does not feature the "hotspotty" comp. lock cutout.

Sure, the comp. lock has advantages too, especially for beginners or people who don´t use their folders often: Just cause the backlock takes a bit more practice to get "good" with it.

When it comes to the Lil Native: I don´t have one, but can recall reading several times that in this particular very small model people prefer the backlock cause they feel it is easier to operate. Just what I read though, can´t confirm this by any means by personal experience
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:40 am
cwoods wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 pm
Here's to hoping the GB 2 hasn't been axed.
I strongly agree. I've really been wanting to get a GB2 but haven't been able to find one.
Same here. It has been out of stock everywhere since before last year's list came out. Since they didn't put it on the 2019 list and it's in the 2020 catalog, I have to think they're planning on another batch at some point.