Discontinued List 2021 Speculation Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Discontinued List 2021 Speculation Thread

Post by Mushroom »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 am
Forget about the discontinued list for 2020, let's talk about the price increase for 2021 :D
:( I was really hoping last year would be the last one. I have a feeling we'll end up at 25% MAP this year and stay there for a bit. At least I can only hope it doesn't go lower than that. :o :(
-Nick :bug-red
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:34 am
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:06 am
Gsg9 wrote:
Forget about the discontinued list for 2020, let's talk about the price increase for 2021 :D
That's actually a good question. Is it an annual thing now? The original justification was that the price control was being used to combat Amazon and Ebay, understandably, but they've been in compliance for years now.

I have not seen any discussion on this particular reasoning for price increases (I always assumed it was due to inflation), is there any link to the original explanation /article? I'd like to see the rationale on how price increases help combat Amazon/eBay...

Amazon and Ebay, before the price control, could price Spydercos lower than official (bloated) knife retailers because it wasn't really them selling the knives; it was small pop shop 3rd parties piggy backing off Amazon and Ebay. Small official knife dealers like knifeworks and cutleryshoppe could do it too; low overhead. So naturally people bought knives from them. Then knifecenter and bentoboxshop and bladehq and others started whining, and there is also the worry of retailer constriction, being at the mercy of a handful of stores after the official dealers died off. So, the price control was implemented.

But everyone has been in compliance for years. I think the recent reasoning is that the Trump tarriffs caused an increase in cost or something.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:33 am
nerdlock wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:34 am
JohnDoe99 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:06 am
Gsg9 wrote:
That's actually a good question. Is it an annual thing now? The original justification was that the price control was being used to combat Amazon and Ebay, understandably, but they've been in compliance for years now.

I have not seen any discussion on this particular reasoning for price increases (I always assumed it was due to inflation), is there any link to the original explanation /article? I'd like to see the rationale on how price increases help combat Amazon/eBay...

Amazon and Ebay, before the price control, could price Spydercos lower than official (bloated) knife retailers because it wasn't really them selling the knives; it was small pop shop 3rd parties piggy backing off Amazon and Ebay. Small official knife dealers like knifeworks and cutleryshoppe could do it too; low overhead. So naturally people bought knives from them. Then knifecenter and bentoboxshop and bladehq and others started whining, and there is also the worry of retailer constriction, being at the mercy of a handful of stores after the official dealers died off. So, the price control was implemented.

But everyone has been in compliance for years. I think the recent reasoning is that the Trump tarriffs caused an increase in cost or something.

Thank you! That was a clear and concise explanation. Much appreciated. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
SG89

Post by SG89 »

👀
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just saw in the Spyderco byte Newsletter that the list will be announce November 4th with their dealers and will then be shared here on the forum. :( Hopefully some of the higher end models that haven't been in stock anywhere don't get the cut just yet! I mostly just don't want to see the Drunken, Paysan, or Subvert on this list yet!
-Nick :bug-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Thanks for the update! I can see they don't want to interfere with voting as a Spyderco discontinued list a day or two or three sooner would certainly detract millions, maybe even billions....

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

mostly just don't want to see the Drunken, Paysan, or Subvert on this list yet!

Drunken and Paysan I presume there was only one small run on them and that's it, both were expensive and with flaws, Paysan is not available on european dealers sites I usually check, Drunken is still available on a couple of them but I would not be interested even for a discounted price.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Yes, it's almost time to pick up those 'maybe one day' models.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Per the SpyderByte, Spyderco will email the list to dealers on November 4th.
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:39 am
mostly just don't want to see the Drunken, Paysan, or Subvert on this list yet!

Drunken and Paysan I presume there was only one small run on them and that's it, both were expensive and with flaws, Paysan is not available on european dealers sites I usually check, Drunken is still available on a couple of them but I would not be interested even for a discounted price.
What are the "flaws" that you speak of? My drunken seems to cut just fine.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Janky clip is the critique I’ve seen most often cited for the Drunken. I haven’t handled one myself though.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I feel like this is gonna be a big one. There are a ton of new models in the pipeline, and they’ve gotta make room.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The only model that seems fairly likely to be disontinued that I'm interested in is the Tropen. I'm excited to see the list!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

With the Disco List 2 days out and hearing all the latest talk around the forum, I figure this is a good time to take a stab at this!

Speculation #1: Sage 5 Carbon Fiber (with the Sage 1 Carbon Fiber discontinued and its G10 Maxamet replacement announced it is now time for the Sage 5 to follow in the same footsteps. The Sage 5 LW will help fill the void until the G10 Maxamet 5 hits the display cases).

Speculation #2: Delica Titanium Damascus (I've said this for the last couple of years; I figure if I keep on saying it, then it will pan out).

Speculation #3: Delica assorted colors (many have been asking for new color; got k390 and funky blue which is a start. I'm guessing green, brown, and grey are on the out. As for the blue and orange, well this is the land of the Broncos so I suspect they will get to stay).

Speculation #4: Proficient (there has been mention that this might be a one run and done offering).

Now to keep myself occupied for the next 48.... :rolleyes:

CG
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:24 pm
With the Disco List 2 days out and hearing all the latest talk around the forum, I figure this is a good time to take a stab at this!

Speculation #1: Sage 5 Carbon Fiber (with the Sage 1 Carbon Fiber discontinued and its G10 Maxamet replacement announced it is now time for the Sage 5 to follow in the same footsteps. The Sage 5 LW will help fill the void until the G10 Maxamet 5 hits the display cases).

Speculation #2: Delica Titanium Damascus (I've said this for the last couple of years; I figure if I keep on saying it, then it will pan out).

Speculation #3: Delica assorted colors (many have been asking for new color; got k390 and funky blue which is a start. I'm guessing green, brown, and grey are on the out. As for the blue and orange, well this is the land of the Broncos so I suspect they will get to stay).

Speculation #4: Proficient (there has been mention that this might be a one run and done offering).

Now to keep myself occupied for the next 48.... :rolleyes:

CG
I must have missed the announcement about the disco list coming out in 2 days. Where was that posted?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderByte newsletter
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Monty

Post by Monty »

cycleguy wrote:

I really would love to see this come back with a new blade steel.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
I could certainly be wrong but I don't see them replacing all the S30V models with Maxamet. I think it would be a huge mistake if they did. Maxamet's too expensive and not for everyone. I don't think they'd sell nearly as many
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:34 pm
cycleguy wrote:
I could certainly be wrong but I don't see them replacing all the S30V models with Maxamet. I think it would be a huge mistake if they did. Maxamet's too expensive and not for everyone. I don't think they'd sell nearly as many
Its not a case of right and wrong; just a case of let's have some fun speculating... cards are going to fall in two days and people will be scrambling!

I'm thinking the 5 LW has the S30V slot filled so why duplicate; G10 can pair with more premium steel; carbon fiber can go away for a while so we can have something new.

CG
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:38 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:34 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Its not a case of right and wrong; just a case of let's have some fun speculating... cards are going to fall in two days and people will be scrambling!

I'm thinking the 5 LW has the S30V slot filled so why duplicate; G10 can pair with more premium steel; carbon fiber can go away for a while so we can have something new.

CG
I guess I look at a thread like this to be intended for speculation on which models would be disco'd rather than what will be replacing them. I certainly have no problem with dreaming. So you have fun with it :)

I just thumbed through the catalog. The only knife I'd really be interested in picking up that has a possibility of being disco'd is the Native 5 Fluted CF. If the Drunken or Paysan are on the list and some become available at a deep discount I'd have to think hard about picking up one of those too. Otherwise I probably won't be scrambling for anything. IIRC in past years most of the discontinued models that were discounted were pretty easy to pick up. I don't recall having to scramble for anything I wanted.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!