Delica Blade Play

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FRNFanboy

Delica Blade Play

Post by FRNFanboy »

Hi Everyone! I'm a longtime lurker but this is my first post. I have a problem with my ZDP-189 Delica that I hope to get some guidance on. Ever since I got the knife, it has had significant side/side and especially front/back blade play. I've never disassembled the knife, but I've tried all the usual screw adjustment tricks I know to adjust the action, and nothing cures the problem entirely. The tang is clean and there isn't any obstruction in the lock socket.

I've seen in other forums posters have stated that this is just part of the wonder of the Delica, but I refuse to believe that Spyderco would design a knife with such a basic flaw built in, especially since my M390 Delica is rock solid. Is this something Spyderco would address as a warranty issue? Is there anything I can do short of subjecting myself to a Delica disassembly?
SpyderNut

Re: Delica Blade Play

Post by SpyderNut »

I would probably just send it in to W&R, if it were mine. Spyderco can evaluate and see what course of action needs to be taken.

Welcome to the Forum!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vertical play in Seki models is not uncommon. Lateral play will certainly occur if the pivot loosens. If you haven’t succeeded in keeping the pivot tight, send it home.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I believe backlocks are especially prone to vertical play because of how the lock itself works. Side to side play can generally be fixed by adjusting the pivot and body screws. You said that you have tried playing with the pivot, and that didn't seem to help. So my guess would be that the blade and/or washers are slightly thinner than the pivot barrel and screw are when fully tightened (if that makes sense), or the pivot hole in the blade is slightly wider than the pivot barrel is giving a slight amount of room for play in the blade, even when the pivot is fully tightned.

If it really bothers you, I would say send it in to the Warranty department and have them take a look.
Justin :spyder:
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

If you haven't adjusted the body screws, give it a try. I had a Delica that had side to side and up/down play, which wasn't resolved by tightening the pivot. Adjusting the body screws, helped put more pressure on the pivot, and fixed most of the blade play. If that doesn't work, sending the knife to Spyderco would be the best option.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Most likely it's missing a washer. Or a washer is damaged. I had one that was missing a washer.
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will send it to W/R. I'm surprised at how many people are willing to accept this as normal. It's not just a faint shift, you can see it rocking back and forth when it's open. None of my other backlocks have it... Delica, Endura, a couple of Native 5s.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Doesn't sound normal to me! The up and down play can't be explained by a washer problem. Maybe the lockbar isn't fitting into the tang correctly. Try pressing down on the lockbar where it engages when open and see if that eliminates the play. If so, then it's a lock issue. A tolerance problem with the pivot hole doesn't seem all that likely.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It’s not normal. I have 3 Delicas and not one has play when locked.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:53 am
I agree with Doc Dan. It's definitely not normal. None of my 3 delicas has any play whatsoever. Definitely send it to Spyderco. That's what the warranty is for - you paid for the warranty in the price of your knife so you should use it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:17 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:53 am
I agree with Doc Dan. It's definitely not normal. None of my 3 delicas has any play whatsoever. Definitely send it to Spyderco. That's what the warranty is for - you paid for the warranty in the price of your knife so you should use it.
Nope! Not normal. I have a whole bunch of Delicas and no side-to-side play issues. One or two might have a tiny bit of lock rock but nothing too bad
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!