Shaman with some grip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Shaman with some grip?

Post by VooDooChild »

I love just about everything about the Shaman, but I go back and forth on how I feel about smooth g10.

I would really like there to be a second handle option that provided more grip in what is a great hard use knife. I dont want to change anything else, I still want the 3d contour/shape. I just want there to be some sort of grip in the flat part of each side of the handle (the non contoured/non radiused part)

I would also probably prefer coarse peel ply, or if you are already milling the handle, then something like the new diamond arc would be cool too. But I will take medium peel ply texture if thats what would be offered.

What do the rest of you think?

Edit:
Just to clarify Im aware of options I can take after the fact. I could get custom scales, I could put grip tape on it, I could sand my scales, I could take a dremel tool to my scales, etc.
Im more bringing up the issue of if it should be a factory option. It just seems odd to make such a robust and ergonomic knife and then only offer it with smooth scales.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Liquid Cobra

Re: Shaman with some grip?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don’t need or want it. But if Spyderco doesn’t produce one with the grip you speak of, you could always just cut out some grip tape and put it on yourself.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I agree. The grippyness of the Rex 45 orange g10 is disappointing. The micarta Shaman handle was excellent!
The diamond arc scales look like they'd be better but I've yet to see them in person. Are they smooth g10 or like regular pm2 g10?
•• Beau
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I blasted the micarta scales on the cruwear Shaman, and they're now incredibly grippy. Maybe pursue some aftermarket scales?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I think stippling is possible with G10.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have 3 Shamans, 2 with smooth G10 and one with micarta. I feel like it's one knife that can actually get away with a smoother handle scale because of the size and contouring.

That said, I also wouldn't be against something else if it came along. But, I don't find any issues with grip with what's currently available. Such a great design can get away with these smooth scales!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:00 pm
I have 3 Shamans, 2 with smooth G10 and one with micarta. I feel like it's one knife that can actually get away with a smoother handle scale because of the size and contouring.

That said, I also wouldn't be against something else if it came along. But, I don't find any issues with grip with what's currently available. Such a great design can get away with these smooth scales!
Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of texturing or textured panel - and I love the factory micarta and aftermarket terotuf scales Ive got - but I don't mind the scales as they are. They're not polished to a super high level like on the KC cruwear exclusives, and I think they almost have a rubbery feel to them. Imo, the diamond arc pattern would work on a panel, but would be too much on the entire scales.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think the Shaman may have smooth scales BECAUSE it is a big, hard-use knife. This topic came up in the thread about the Cruwear Proficient, and the consensus was that for extended use a smother, polished handle was less likely to produce hotspots.

I haven't handled one yet, so I'm not really an authority here.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I can go either way. I like knives with an aggressive texture, but I am just fine with smooth scales also. I have a Cruwear PM2 with really smooth G10. That is the way they made it. I didn't like it at first, but I soon realized it was not a problem, and now the whole thing has grown on me and I like it fine. Anything new raises my hair I guess.

When I was a kid (a really long time ago), all of our knives were glass smooth and we never thought twice about it. And we never dropped them either as I remember (or don't remember).

Anyway, smooth is beautiful. I think what people are saying is particularly true about the Shaman. No trouble holding on to it. My pakkawood "rosewood" Shaman is quite smooth and I think it is a fantastic knife.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:23 pm
I think stippling is possible with G10.

It is, but not with heat as is typically done on nylon pistol frames. G-10 is made with epoxy, a thermoset resin. Texturing G-10 should be done mechanically by abrasion/cutting.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I wish linen/canvas micarta would get more love, it would go especially well with the Shaman's overall design and function of a heavy-duty utility folder.
sal

Post by sal »

We spent a long time developing the Shaman. Once the pattern was decided, we worked with a variety of textures and the contouring with the textures became pocket shredders. It is just my opinion, but I think the bead blasted handles provide a good balance, and the form of the pattern provides secure grip.

sal
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I am fairly new here and I can understand what your looking for...my Shaman is a REX 45 and I wish Spyderco would offer scales like Carbon Fiber for my knife because I am/was late to this party and I would love to dress it up a little. Even if I had to send it in for the change. :D I only have four so far since I joined last month:

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Signalman1 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 am
I am fairly new here and I can understand what your looking for...my Shaman is a REX 45 and I wish Spyderco would offer scales like Carbon Fiber for my knife because I am/was late to this party and I would love to dress it up a little. Even if I had to send it in for the change. :D I only have four so far since I joined last month:

Signalman1 :mad: :) :D
Sharpdressedknives.com
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Once the knife is firmly grasped in my hand the smooth g10 is fine... It's everything before and after that point that the knife feels like it wants to slip between my fingers.
•• Beau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Buddafucco wrote: Once the knife is firmly grasped in my hand the smooth g10 is fine... It's everything before and after that point that the knife feels like it wants to slip between my fingers.
Thats exactly it. Its manipulating the knife before and after that, especially with wet hands, you risk dropping it.

I also didnt want to turn this into a lock type discuassion, but from what I have experinced, if you are closing a compression lock the "normal" way, scales with grip work much better than scales without them.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:24 am
We spent a long time developing the Shaman. Once the pattern was decided, we worked with a variety of textures and the contouring with the textures became pocket shredders. It is just my opinion, but I think the bead blasted handles provide a good balance, and the form of the pattern provides secure grip.

sal
I completely agree! I find textured G10 to bed way too rough in many cases and hate what it does to my pockets. That's why I generally prefer FRN but I also have been enjoying the smooth G10 on my Shaman.