AEB-L SE Sheepfoot Push Button Comp Lock Autonomy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

AEB-L SE Sheepfoot Push Button Comp Lock Autonomy

Post by Dazen »

Hey Sal,

Can we get a PM2 in a SE Sheepfoot blade. And while I was thinking about what steel would work well in a SE Sheepfoot I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to use AEB-L. With the claims of balanced edge retention and ease of sharpening what could be better in a SE, besides H1, VG10 and LC200N which aren’t available in the US or compete with the Caribbean. The PM2 hasn’t been done in this steel yet and it looks to have plenty of room for the Sheepfoot blade. I would be up for a Combo Edge as well if everyone is interested.

The Shaman could be another model for this set up, but the blade would not sit as deep into the scales as normal. That wouldn’t matter because the turn down of the tip would keep it enclosed. This may also eliminate the hump in the comp lock cut out.

Edit: to be any Golden Model
Last edited by Dazen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
The Meat man

Re: AEB-L SE Sheepfoot PM2

Post by The Meat man »

There are a number of US-made knives in LC200N: Siren, Waterway, Native Salt, Autonomy 2.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This would pull me out of my Para 2 buying slump. I'll buy any model offered in SE AEB-L just so I can try it out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Seems like a Stretch would be a suitable platform; similar size with choil. I’ve been happy with AEB-L in the Urban sprint.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:57 pm
There are a number of US-made knives in LC200N: Siren, Waterway, Native Salt, Autonomy 2.
Sorry about the confusion. I meant that VG10 and H1 are not available for US made knifes, I did just remember the Autonomy is H1 though. Also, if it were done in LC200N, which I know is available in the US, it would directly compete the the Sheepfoot LC200N SE Comp Lock Caribbean.

Here is a great article from Larrin on AEB-L:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Dazen wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Sorry about the confusion. I meant that VG10 and H1 are not available for US made knifes, I did just remember the Autonomy is H1 though. Also, if it were done in LC200N, which I know is available in the US, it would directly compete the the Sheepfoot LC200N SE Comp Lock Caribbean.

Spyderco has made US knives in H1, the Autonomy 1. I also imagine they could easily make US knives in vg10 if they wanted to. Considering several other companies all over the world in many different countries make knives with vg10.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Ah got it.

I'd be interested in serrated AEB-L, but only if it was heat treated to maximize edge strength and stability. I haven't heard great reports about the AEB-L Urban's edge strength. Seems they ran those a bit soft.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:00 pm
Dazen wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Spyderco has made US knives in H1, the Autonomy 1. I also imagine they could easily make US knives in vg10 if they wanted to. Considering several other companies all over the world in many different countries make knives with vg10.
I bring up these 3 steels because they are highly admired in SE, and I don’t want to have a discussion about a PM2 in those because I know Spyderco won’t make a PM2 in those 3 steels.
Dane

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Has there ever been a sheepsfoot PM2? Any pics, mockups?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Has there ever been a sheepsfoot PM2? Any pics, mockups?
Not to my knowledge.
Dane

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be interested in the blade shape, but I already have a Caribbean...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:14 pm
Dazen wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Ah got it.

I'd be interested in serrated AEB-L, but only if it was heat treated to maximize edge strength and stability. I haven't heard great reports about the AEB-L Urban's edge strength. Seems they ran those a bit soft.
I don't know, when I first got my Coyote Urban the first thing I did, with the factory edge, is open some metal cans to see what would happen to the edge. Nothing happened. The blade opened the cans with no chipping or rolling.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Yeah exactly, and I strongly prefer the Caribbean grip over a Para 2. I also wonder how different this steel would be in SE vs VG10/H1/LC. It seems like a near perfect steel for serrations.
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:

Yeah exactly, and I strongly prefer the Caribbean grip over a Para 2. I also wonder how different this steel would be in SE vs VG10/H1/LC. It seems like a near perfect steel for serrations.
How about the Shaman then, it may end up looking like a folding Enuff?
Dane

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:13 pm
Seems like a Stretch would be a suitable platform; similar size with choil. I’ve been happy with AEB-L in the Urban sprint.
A STRETCH in SE would certainly get my interest... (sheepsfoot or not).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:01 am
Evil D wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

Like I said I'm down for just about any model with this steel in SE, though I do think it deserves a thin blade stock so it's as slicey as it can be. Someone mentioned the Stretch 2.... wouldn't be my first choice but the blade is fairly thin and tapered so it should slice well.
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 am
Dazen wrote:
Evil D wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:

Like I said I'm down for just about any model with this steel in SE, though I do think it deserves a thin blade stock so it's as slicey as it can be. Someone mentioned the Stretch 2.... wouldn't be my first choice but the blade is fairly thin and tapered so it should slice well.

If they did the Shaman they could do a hollow grind, like the Yojimbo, and keep it super thin BTE.
Dane

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:12 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:46 am
Dazen wrote:
Evil D wrote:

If they did the Shaman they could do a hollow grind, like the Yojimbo, and keep it super thin BTE.

Well...actually Sal said he´d be working on such a model (though he said nothing about SE or AEB-L)
(Quote: "I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. I'm thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight..." viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&p=1406714&hil ... n#p1406714
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:51 pm

Well...actually Sal said he´d be working on such a model (though he said nothing about SE or AEB-L)
(Quote: "I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. I'm thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight..." viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&p=1406714&hil ... n#p1406714
You gotta have the best memory on this forum lol! Thanks for posting the link. I missed that, and am very interested in the high hollow aspect.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PStone wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:51 pm

You gotta have the best memory on this forum lol! Thanks for posting the link. I missed that, and am very interested in the high hollow aspect.

I wish it was that way my friend! :o Actually I have a rather BAD memory, but could remember this particular thread cause based on it I myself started one (viewtopic.php?t=86264)

But now I think you might be also interested in a possible FRN Shaman in K390?! :D (see HERE, end of the post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&hilit=shaman+ ... 0#p1406216)