Strong Smell

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
axslen

Strong Smell

Post by axslen »

Hello,

I recently purchased a Spyderco Cat off of AMZN. The knife arrived with a strong chemical smell that I isolated to the handle. I started to notice that my hands and my pocket smelled of the chemical odor as well. I ended up washing the handle and letting it be for a day, but the chemical odor is still present 3 days later. Normally I would not care, but the smell is not something I can get used to. My question is if anyone else has had this experience and if so is it all Spyderco knifes or could it be the G-10 handle? Has anyone experienced this with the FRN handle?
JRinFL

Re: Strong Smell

Post by JRinFL »

I would be concerned that it is a fake. My Cat does not smell, but I did not buy it from Amazon either. I would return it and buy from an actual Spyderco dealer.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Probably a fake or a customer return. Amazon has a great return policy but don't care about offering you authentic products. Buy from an authorized spyderco dealer for the best experience
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Red

Post by Red »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 am
Probably a fake or a customer return. Amazon has a great return policy but don't care about offering you authentic products. Buy from an authorized spyderco dealer for the best experience
So true!! I am done with amazon period! I had two fakes that I had to send back. One was a Civilian!!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I feel for you Red, with you too. I just got finished chasing money back from a disreputable retailor. So much wasted time. It is so hard out there to know who one can trust. I should have googled the company a couple times, they do appear in bladeforums. My dad said, "Buyer beware." I am sure he did not coin the phrase.

Now I am working on a catch phrase like, "Google the business profile before looking at their products." I have been saying it to my kids and so far it is not catchy. I've tried, "Check the forum first friends." But, they do not get screen time yet so this one is not catching either. I've tried, "I'm buying only Spyderco forever." My wife slaps me every time she hears it. No wins. Still cutting.

Hey axslen, welcome to the forum. I sure hope your stinky little problem works out without wasting cash on top of time.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It should not have any smell, except oil, and that is not strong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I would definite return it. It sounds like a counterfeit to me.
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

I thought if you had a cat and it started to smell, you should change the litter box?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gbcaffee wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 am
I thought if you had a cat and it started to smell, you should change the litter box?
I knew this was coming, lol. :D But on a serious note, I too have noticed a different-smelling odor on my Cat and Chicago. I’m guessing it might have something to do with the type(s) of materials used? It might also just be the lube, too. The odor does tend to go away after a while.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

My 4V PM2 from the latest St Nick's release has a chemical smell. I have to wash my hands after handling it. The 1st time i carried it i kept wondering why i can't get rid of the stink on my hands. I figured out it was the knife the 2nd time i carried it. I'll try washing it eventually.
•• Beau
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:47 am
My dad said, "Buyer beware." I am sure he did not coin the phrase.
Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.")
Another good rule is that if it’s too good to be true it’s probably false.

Not sure about your smelly cat but I would not immediately jump to conclusions that it’s a fake based on that alone, it could be from something used in manufacturing or the materials itself. It could be cause for return however if it’s unacceptably strong or offensive, I have this issue with my spyderpak it smells like a toxic plastic smell and makes the knives smell also, it is authentic purchased from a reputable dealer.

It is a wonder why spyderco does not accredit and publish a list of authorised vendors.
Last edited by w3tnz on Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Double tap
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The KC Rex 45 Shamans had a lot of complaints about a similar smell. If I had to guess, it's a materials issue.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

There's enough things in life that stink for our knives to be stinky too :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Perhaps the factories have switched to a "natural" non-toxic lubricant that has gone rancid? Just speculating.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

w3tnz wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:51 am

It is a wonder why spyderco does not accredit and publish a list of authorised vendors.
Because they also sell to many large wholesaler/distrubuters who then sell to their retail sales customers, and finally to us.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm
Because they also sell to many large wholesaler/distrubuters who then sell to their retail sales customers, and finally to us.
I’m not sure how that would prevent that information being made publicly available? Spyderco knows who they sell to, the distributors know who they sell to, if your concern is one of logistics anyone selling genuine products would simply be able to prove it via the supply chain and become accredited.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

w3tnz wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:51 am
ykspydiefan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:47 am
My dad said, "Buyer beware." I am sure he did not coin the phrase.
Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.")
Another good rule is that if it’s too good to be true it’s probably false.

Not sure about your smelly cat but I would not immediately jump to conclusions that it’s a fake based on that alone, it could be from something used in manufacturing or the materials itself. It could be cause for return however if it’s unacceptably strong or offensive, I have this issue with my spyderpak it smells like a toxic plastic smell and makes the knives smell also, it is authentic purchased from a reputable dealer.

They do. It's quite extensive and I've had good luck using it as a reference.

https://www.spyderco.com/resources/dealer-locator/

My Spyderpac had a strong smell as well. Dissipated quickly enough and doesn't bother me anymore. That's usually the way it goes with new plastic. I have noticed faint smells on some G10 before.. it usually goes away within a day or two of carry.. Never a strong smell though..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

w3tnz wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:32 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm
I’m not sure how that would prevent that information being made publicly available? Spyderco knows who they sell to, the distributors know who they sell to, if your concern is one of logistics anyone selling genuine products would simply be able to prove it via the supply chain and become accredited.
Who is going to run this process? It seems like a good idea, but is it workable for Spyderco? I don't know because I don't work for them. You may want to make a new thread and see if Sal is willing to offer insights. I'd like to feel safer when buying and it seems like it would make fakes harder to sell.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Been buying Spydercos for about 20 years and haven't ever come across something like that. Not sure what it means, but it seems unusual.
:unicorn