Strong Smell

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Strong Smell

Post by Enactive »

In my experience, micarta usually smells like the phenolic resin until it off-gasses most of the volatiles. I think G10 is made with epoxy or similar resin which smells less but in some cases could be stinky from off gassing. Could be fake, but not necessarily.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

It definitely does seem out of the ordinary, I mean I’ve never received a smelly knife from a retailer, but forgive my ignorance if I ask, why would that indicate a fake?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:59 pm
It definitely does seem out of the ordinary, I mean I’ve never received a smelly knife from a retailer, but forgive my ignorance if I ask, why would that indicate a fake?
The makers of counterfeit knives have been known to use inferior resins and inferior metals. Some of the inferior resins have a marked odor unlike the genuine article.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I've never gotten a smelly Spyderco. I would certainly check for other evidence that is was a fake. I personally wouldn't mind a smell if it was genuine (provided it went away fairly promptly). But my nose is quite insensitive, so things that might annoy others don't even register with me. But it sounds fishy (and maybe it smells fishy too).

Funny that the last knife I ordered from Amazon (before I learned better) was a Cat. They sent me a Chicago and something wasn't right somehow, though I didn't realize quite what at first. But no trouble returning to Amazon. No more knife buying from Amazon for me because of that and also some other experiences. I was a slow learner.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I received a Cat and Chicago several years ago from a dealer (not Amazon) that absolutely stunk of whatever solvent that particular Taiwanese factory was seemingly bathing their G10 scales in. I run a research lab so I’m very well aware of different types of chemical smells and there was no question in my mind that’s what it was. The smell dissipated after a few hours but “re-energized” a bit after they spent some time back in their bags (which had the same smell on the inside). I returned them both and to this day they remain the only low-end Spydies I’ve ever purchased. Not a fan of things like that...

*Edited AGAIN to fix my errors, which I make tons of ;) See??
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Red wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 am
Probably a fake or a customer return. Amazon has a great return policy but don't care about offering you authentic products. Buy from an authorized spyderco dealer for the best experience
So true!! I am done with amazon period! I had two fakes that I had to send back. One was a Civilian!!
I do absolutely no business with Amazon at all>> or hardly any of these other "online retail predators" either. This is just one of dozens of horror stories I've heard about that mega-flea market con job. I've got 3 reputable dealers I get all my Spyderco stuff from. I would much rather pay a bit extra dealing with an honest, reputable, trustworthy business person.

There should never be any pungent odors from a new Spyderco product. This has "RED FLAG" written all over it.
Red

Post by Red »

Completely agree, I have 3 knife/gear specific retailers I deal with now. 100% done with Amazon.
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 am
Red wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:05 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 am
Probably a fake or a customer return. Amazon has a great return policy but don't care about offering you authentic products. Buy from an authorized spyderco dealer for the best experience
So true!! I am done with amazon period! I had two fakes that I had to send back. One was a Civilian!!
I do absolutely no business with Amazon at all>> or hardly any of these other "online retail predators" either. This is just one of dozens of horror stories I've heard about that mega-flea market con job. I've got 3 reputable dealers I get all my Spyderco stuff from. I would much rather pay a bit extra dealing with an honest, reputable, trustworthy business person.

There should never be any pungent odors from a new Spyderco product. This has "RED FLAG" written all over it.
I mentioned the Knifecenter Rex 45 Shaman earlier in this thread, which came to me with a strong chemical odor, and it mellowed out a bit, but never went away. It recently started bothering me, so I've stopped carrying the knife. KC is a reputable, authorized dealer. I even left the knife in a non-airconditioned garage, in 90° F heat for several days, to encourage off-gassing, but the smell persisted. In the original thread for that knife, there were others complaining about the same odor.

I think there are better ways of spotting(smelling) a fake.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would never buy a knife from Amazon.

That said, I remember back in the late ‘90s, I bought a new Calypso Jr. from a B&M knife dealer, and from the start, the knife had an unusual smell, almost a “cheesey” type of smell. I didn’t know if it was the micarta handle, the lube that was used before shipping, or whatever. It wasn’t bad enough to make my hand smell, but it was noticeable if I put it near my face and sniffed it. I also recall somebody else posting a thread on BF around that same time that their Calypso Jr. had a funny smell, too. That knife was the only one I ever owned with such a smell.

My experience doesn’t sound as serious as the ones described in this thread, though.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:13 am
I received a Cat and Chicago several years ago from a dealer (not Amazon) that absolutely stunk of whatever solvent the Chinese factory was seemingly bathing their G10 scales in. I run a research lab so I’m very well aware of different types of chemical smells and there was no question in my mind that’s what it was. The smell dissipated after a few hours but “re-energized” a bit after they spent some time back in their bags (which had the same smell on the inside). I returned them both and to this day they remain the only Chinese (not Taichung obviously) Spydies I’ve ever purchased. Not a fan of things like that...
Cat & Chicago are made in another Taiwanese factory, not mainland China like the Byrds or Tenacious, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Another comment, I think some people are much more sensitive to certain odors than others. This could explain why it is not a universal complaint.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RadioactiveSpyder

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 am
Cat & Chicago are made in another Taiwanese factory, not mainland China like the Byrds or Tenacious, etc.
Sorry, I knew that and forgot about that. Doesn’t really change my discussion about the two knives (nor whether or not I buy the low-end ones). ;) :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:13 am
I received a Cat and Chicago several years ago from a dealer (not Amazon) that absolutely stunk of whatever solvent that particular Taichung factory was seemingly bathing their G10 scales in. I run a research lab so I’m very well aware of different types of chemical smells and there was no question in my mind that’s what it was. The smell dissipated after a few hours but “re-energized” a bit after they spent some time back in their bags (which had the same smell on the inside). I returned them both and to this day they remain the only low-end Spydies I’ve ever purchased. Not a fan of things like that...

*Edited to fix my errors, which I make tons of ;)
I am fairly certain that the Cat/Chicago aren't made in the Taiching factory who produce some of the finest Spydies. It's another Taiwanese factory.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RadioactiveSpyder

araneae wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:37 pm
I am fairly certain that the Cat/Chicago aren't made in the Taiching factory who produce some of the finest Spydies. It's another Taiwanese factory.
OK, I made it “Taiwanese factory” now - is that sufficiently accurate for everyone?! ;) Also I know they do not come from the same factory in Taichung.
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

The chemical smell my 4v PM2 had is completely gone after sitting out for a week.
•• Beau
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I'm with Vivi.. I've had 50+ and never had one smell. I have had smelly plastic before, I think typically when the materials came from recycled sources. I would send it back and get one from a trusted retailer. You could post pics here, if it's legit maybe send to SFO so they can figure out what happened.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

This week I purchased a Cat and Chicago from White Mountain Knives to try out some CTS BD1N. Both knives have a strong stinky smell to them. While working in various machine shops during the last 20 years, I've smelled this odor before. My guess is the smell is either the liner steel, some kind of lubricant, or both. Hopefully it goes away soon.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i just got my cat in from bladehq so i know its genuine but i had bad smell and i found it was the oil. it has not gone away yet.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
RadioactiveSpyder

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:59 pm
i just got my cat in from bladehq so i know its genuine but i had bad smell and i found it was the oil. it has not gone away yet.
The lubricating oil could absolutely be the source of what I was smelling as well, since those knives were pretty much slathered in it. Would also explain why the bags also smelled as well.

I’ve purchased 500+ Spydies, and the Cat and Chicago were the only two I ever experienced this with...
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I think all should take any suspected products and place them on their shouders. Then you take a grocery bag and place it over your head. Then go to a certified health care worker and see if your capable of passing the human test.