EDIT: Just WOW! FINALLY!! (Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

Re: Sal, may I ask: Any plans for an Endura (or Pac Salt) SE in FFG?

Post by tonijedi »

I *need* a FFG LC200N Pacific Salt to cut watermelon on the beach :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I'll bump this as well. SE models have been catching my eye a lot more recently. I actually have a SE Endela and SE Endura wharncliffe lined up to be my next purchases, with plans to get a SE Delica wharncliffe as well, so a FFG SE Endura (and leaf shaped Delica) would need to be added to the lineup too!
Justin :spyder:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I would definitely go for a LC200N FFG Pacific Salt in SE!

Jim
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 pm
I'm with you! I'm still holding out hope for the rumored Toxic Green FFG LC200N Salt series. I'd like to see SE versions of this in the Pacific Salt and a Police LW Salt "Beach Patrol" edition! :D

I'll take an FFG SE LC200N Toxic Green Spyderhawk and Catcherman while we are at it. :)
Yes please! :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Agreed
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

FFG SE totally rocks. I handed my Caribbean to a friend at work today who needed to slice a cardboard box. He was gobsmacked by how easily it cut the corrugated. Then when I got home I had a very heavy box to cut up for the recycle bin.

Cutting parallel to the corrugations the blade sails through, but at 90 degrees to them it requires much more force. I developed a better method, using the belly to score through one face and the core, then folding and cutting the rear face paper, sort of like score and snap cutting drywall. Much less effort, thus safer. I didn’t have a good place to rest the box (already flat) so reduced force was really appreciated.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:30 pm
FFG SE totally rocks. .....

Seems to be what almost everyone here experiences when trying / using Spydercos SE in ffg... :)

And I have a feeling that there is almost a trend towards ffg SE in this forum: More people try it, more people like it, and more people realize that the "hard to sharpen-thing" is really a total myth (at least with a sharpmaker).

Sadly, I doubt though, that this is also true for the "general knife market" or even "non knife people" who are just looking for one single utility-tool-knife.

Still: I really do hope that the seemingly growing appreciation for ffg SE at least on this forum will justify more such models... And an Endura 4 ffg SE would be a good example for that as would be a Manix 2 LW ffg SE:
Both are already made in ffg, so no new developing and costs necessary.
And both come in steels that are great for "teeth" as far as I can tell (VG10 and BD1N)...

Wonder if the K390 Endura will come in ffg SE. Sal said something along the lines that they would try if teeth in that steel would hold up to real world use.
Anyway, tbh: In a serrated edge I´d personally most likely a VG10 Endura.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:17 pm

Seems to be what almost everyone here experiences when trying / using Spydercos SE in ffg... :)
Funny enough, after trying SE on Pacific Salt, I want to also try SE in FFG Blade :D
Seems like RockJumper could fit the bill. Lamnia has a listed price around 110 €, which I not that bad. But similarly priced Endura SE could be also good.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I own an Endura SE in saber grind. It is nearly brand new despite being years old, all because I found the slicing performance disappointing, so I never used it beyond an initial test. I have a SE Endela that I haven’t used yet because the Caribbean won’t be displaced!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am
I own an Endura SE in saber grind. It is nearly brand new despite being years old, all because I found the slicing performance disappointing, so I never used it beyond an initial test. I have a SE Endela that I haven’t used yet because the Caribbean won’t be displaced!

Well, I am pretty sure your Endela SR will cut just as well as the Caribbean SR (and an Endura ffg SE would too obviously).

Actually, now that the Pac Salt 2 has the exact same handleshape as the Endura 4, the sabre grind Endura 4 SE could be a bit "outdated"?!
I personally would always prefer the sabre hollow H1 SE blade of the Pac Salt..
Guess that could be another point for an Endura ffg SE: A more different and more efficient alternative to the Pac Salt 2 SE...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am
I also own an Endura 4 saber grind SE, and have only used it a little bit for the same reasons. And it’s like new because of that, too. I’ve had it for well over 10 years now. I guess for some users, it would be more desirable if they are a little more abusive to their knives.

I still don’t own a Spyderco FFG blade in SE. When my $$ situation improves, I might get an SE Endela, or maybe even wait to see if ever is an LC200N FFG SE Pacific Salt.

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:20 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:30 pm
I'm with you! I'm still holding out hope for the rumored Toxic Green FFG LC200N Salt series. I'd like to see SE versions of this in the Pacific Salt and a Police LW Salt "Beach Patrol" edition! :D

I'll take an FFG SE LC200N Toxic Green Spyderhawk and Catcherman while we are at it. :)
Yes please! :D
Ooooooo toxic green, with BLACK SE blade :eek:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Funny enough, after trying SE on Pacific Salt, I want to also try SE in FFG Blade :D
Seems like RockJumper could fit the bill. Lamnia has a listed price around 110 €, which I not that bad. But similarly priced Endura SE could be also good.

I am really looking forward to the Rock Jumper SE, it appears to have a great, wide, neutral a bit "stretch like" handle (even featuring that "parrot beak" at the rear the Stretch 1 has!) and the wide just 3mm stock blade must make for an amazing cutter anyway!

Still, in my use the Rock Jumper is a different knife to the Endura: The Rock Jumper has the perfect size and cutting edge length for its main intended purpose (a climbing and general outdoor knife), but in my main all purpose EDC I prefer the longer edge of the Endura (87 mm Endura vs 72 mm Rock Jumper). This longer edge for me has no disadvantage at all, but only makes a knife more versatile - and an Endura in ffg SE would be the king of all purpose versatility for me!!

Hope Sal will chime in briefly and just give us a hint if there is a chance for such a model.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I guess there was a lot of threads and suggestions for Endura FFG SE that it could actually happen in the future. And like you said earlier Warstein, there is already everything developed for this knife: blade, serration pattern and handle.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

:D C'mom... summer will end in 2 months or so, we need this new PAC Salt now :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’d love to see an SE FFG Endura 4. But even if it came about, I’d still probably pick an SE Endela, because I’ve never owned an Endela before. In my situation at the moment, I don’t have the extra $$ to spare to buy any new knives, so getting both isn’t an option. But I can still think about it. :D

Jim
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:

And I have a feeling that there is almost a trend towards ffg SE in this forum: More people try it, more people like it, and more people realize that the "hard to sharpen-thing" is really a total myth (at least with a sharpmaker).
i will say again
need_more_FFGSESpyderco_again. :)
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sal, I allow myself to bump this thread and my question: Obviously there is a lot of love for ffg SE on this forum generally, and for an Endura / Pac Salt ffg SE particularly according to this thread...

Maybe you find the time to tell us if there are any considerations on bringing such a model to life... it would be such a great knife!!! :)

One option could perhaps be to try it out as a sprint run? With rarely seen FRN colors (ivory, light brown, very dark red...)?!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 am
Just for illustration: I have this old (and low quality) pic, comparing the Endela SE blade to the Endura PE blade:

An Endura SE ffg with the same serration pattern as the Endela SE could essentially have serrations over the whole length of the Endela blade PLUS about the same amount of PE section towards the tip that the Endela offers...

I like what you've done there, but I would suggest only doing serrations the same length as the endela and leaving the tip PE. gives a little extra PE.
Justin
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

crazywednesday wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 am
Just for illustration: I have this old (and low quality) pic, comparing the Endela SE blade to the Endura PE blade:

An Endura SE ffg with the same serration pattern as the Endela SE could essentially have serrations over the whole length of the Endela blade PLUS about the same amount of PE section towards the tip that the Endela offers...

I like what you've done there, but I would suggest only doing serrations the same length as the endela and leaving the tip PE. gives a little extra PE.
Honestly, that would be a really interesting way of doing the SE pattern. 70% SE, 30% PE and offer the best of both worlds :D
Justin :spyder: