Sprint run Manix XL clicks. Any idea why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Sprint run Manix XL clicks. Any idea why?

Post by vivi »

https://streamable.com/de3g3s

Seems to work fine but I'm curious what causes this noise and if it can be fixed.
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: Sprint run Manix XL clicks. Any idea why?

Post by Evil D »

I'm not 100% sure but I seem to recall something about the cage being upside down maybe causing this?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Mine too...apparently some folks have had the same issue with the Manix2, but my first experience was on this latest XL sprint also (even after swapping to aftermarket scales.)
JMM

Post by JMM »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:41 pm
https://streamable.com/de3g3s

Seems to work fine but I'm curious what causes this noise and if it can be fixed.

Yeah, my BHQ Manix2 XL has the same click, and my G10 XHP Manix2 did it until I completely took it apart and put it back together... I don't use my XL enough to warrant stripping it down, but who knows, my OCD may get the better of me one of these evenings and it might happen. :D
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My bhq manix 2 xl also does it. Doesnt bother me at all.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Once in a blue Moon, I get a new Manix like that. More often though, it happens if I take one apart, for one reason or another, and I'll get that click. Once I have it all back together.

I have finally learned how to get rid of though. By loosening the four screws just above the cage-lock (Two screws on the left, two screws on the right). Then, with the blade open. I push the tip of the blade down onto a cutting board. Like I'm cutting something, with medium pressure. Then while that pressure is still being applied. I tighten all four screw back up. This pushes that metal ball-ramp/back-spacer back ever so slightly, and the clicking stops. :)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I had someone give me helpful advice on Bladeforums about this:

“ In the end, a small drop of oil on the ball bearing fixed it. It locks and unlocks smoothly now. No idea why.”
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:22 pm
Once in a blue Moon, I get a new Manix like that. More often though, it happens if I take one apart, for one reason or another, and I'll get that click. Once I have it all back together.

I have finally learned how to get rid of though. By loosening the four screws just above the cage-lock (Two screws on the left, two screws on the right). Then, with the blade open. I push the tip of the blade down onto a cutting board. Like I'm cutting something, with medium pressure. Then while that pressure is still being applied. I tighten all four screw back up. This pushes that metal ball-ramp/back-spacer back ever so slightly, and the clicking stops. :)
I have an S90V Manix that started clicking after I made adjustments to center the blade. Makes sense that it's an alignment issue. I'll have to adjust it again, using your method, and report back.

This makes me wonder if the life of the Manix lock could be extended, by making slight adjustments to the back spacer/cage assembly, since the clicking is just premature contact. I used a Manix for 7 years, and in the first few months, the ball slowly inched toward the blade, until it was nearly out of room to wear in. At that point, the ball had settled and didn't move for the next 6.5 years. If they're all like that, I don't see a need to extend the lock life, but the idea is interesting to me. I guess it's similar to the idea of peening a lockbar on a lock back, but much less invasive and there's virtually no risk, unlike peening, which can ruin a knife if it's not done the correct way.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

My LW model clicks too. I think it's caused by friction between the plastic cage and the ball bearing, but I don't know for sure.
No amount of oil applied anywhere was able to fix it for me. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me at all.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I adjusted my Manix according to Steve's advice, and the clicking is gone. At least in my case, it was an alignment issue. Thanks for the tip!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 am
I adjusted my Manix according to Steve's advice, and the clicking is gone. At least in my case, it was an alignment issue. Thanks for the tip!

That's great to hear, Albatross. Another satisfied customer! :D
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Mine still clicks... tried 3 times
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

SubMicron wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Yours is most likely caused by the rod that the spring rides on, which is molded into the cage. The manix is one of my favorite models and I've extensively looked into the maladies and variances that can happen with them.

In examples that have the "click" I have realized that it is often related to the cage/spring interface. As the lock is forced back, the spring must slide onto the rod as it compresses. As we all know, as you compress a spring it will try and go sideways unless kept in line by force.

Anyway, when the spring gets pressure applied to it and it starts to compress, one of the "loops" of the spring gets caught on the very end of the plastic rod and causes a little click, and most of the time a "catch" sensation that you can feel as well. Once past that little catch it will generally ride smoothly because enough of the spring is now on the rod that it is forced into perfect alignment.

Many times there is a little bit of plastic flashing, or a "pip" of plastic left over on the very tip of the rod from the molding process. This can exacerbate the issue. I've had success in filing the tip of the rod smooth and getting rid of the catch.

Anyway, hope that makes sense.
manixxl.png
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 am
SubMicron wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Yours is most likely caused by the rod that the spring rides on, which is molded into the cage. The manix is one of my favorite models and I've extensively looked into the maladies and variances that can happen with them.

In examples that have the "click" I have realized that it is often related to the cage/spring interface. As the lock is forced back, the spring must slide onto the rod as it compresses. As we all know, as you compress a spring it will try and go sideways unless kept in line by force.

Anyway, when the spring gets pressure applied to it and it starts to compress, one of the "loops" of the spring gets caught on the very end of the plastic rod and causes a little click, and most of the time a "catch" sensation that you can feel as well. Once past that little catch it will generally ride smoothly because enough of the spring is now on the rod that it is forced into perfect alignment.

Many times there is a little bit of plastic flashing, or a "pip" of plastic left over on the very tip of the rod from the molding process. This can exacerbate the issue. I've had success in filing the tip of the rod smooth and getting rid of the catch.

Anyway, hope that makes sense.

manixxl.png

Thats good info. Is it perhaps something that will go away over time on it's own?