Page 5 of 13

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:50 pm
by BornIn1500
Apparently this is unpopular these days... This is a wharncliffe.

Image

This is not (Cough...BladeHQ....cough...)

Image

Since when did the definition of wharncliffe change? Classifying knives like the CRKT Overland as a wharncliffe makes the term lose all meaning.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 pm
by Sharp Guy
BornIn1500 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:50 pm
Apparently this is unpopular these days... This is a wharncliffe.

Image

This is not (Cough...BladeHQ....cough...)

Image

Since when did the definition of wharncliffe change? Classifying knives like the CRKT Overland as a wharncliffe makes the term lose all meaning.
Seems like just an honest mistake to me

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 pm
by Bloke
I don’t like leaf or tanto blades, saber grinds or coated blades. I don’t like micro bevels on Scandinavia’s. I’m not overly fond of back locks or carbon fibre scales. I don’t like wooden scales on folders and detest plywood (pakkawood) scales. I can live happily without black scales and don’t like deep textured scales or scales with finger grooves.

Pocket clips, I reckon detract aesthetically and ergonomically from quality folders and the redundant holes and or pockets machined into perfectly good scale material for alternative clip placement are pox and make perfect good knives look like unfinished projects. Deep, shallow, hourglass, wire, $200 flame coloured titanium aftermarket or solid gold pocket clips, are just an ugly trade off for convenience. :eek:

However, I do like thin base pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, chilli and anchovies. I also like crispy bacon, sunny side up egg and fried tomato on a crusty bread roll without butter or any sauce. I love watercress and buttered bread sandwiches too. I don’t like McDonald but I’ll have a Big Mac on the odd occasion. :cool:

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:52 pm
by BornIn1500
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Seems like just an honest mistake to me
I meant it as more of an industry-wide trend. Some blades with a clear, defined swooping belly are now being grouped into wharncliffes because wharncliffes became popular and everyone wants to hop on the hype train. It used to be a very specific blade shape. Not anymore. Many places also call the Smock a wharncliffe. To me, a curved edge can not be called a wharncliffe. But whenever I say that, it seems..... unpopular :D

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:54 pm
by PStone
Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 pm
...I don’t like McDonald but I’ll have a Big Mac on the odd occasion. :cool:
Image

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 pm
by Wartstein
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 pm
As for unpopular opinions:

.....

4. For me, the axis lock doesn't have any advantage over the cbbl. Though, from a design perspective, it may fit into models where a cbbl would take up too much space.

5. I've always unlocked cbbl with just my thumb. Never handled a cbbl knife that was too stiff for this method to work.

6. I'd like more models with stock thickness under 3mm. Using a lot of SAKs and Opinels this year made me realize how excessive 3mm thick blades are for most things I cut.

.......

9. I prefer not to have drop shut action. I prefer to manually control the closing action.

.....

Four points I fully agree with.

- Don´t get me wrong, I grant the axxis lock (or a possible axxis lock Spydie) to anyone who likes it, but imho it would be sad if Spyderco would produce axxis lock folders instead of more CBBL models...for me the CBBL is not really harder to operate as the axxis lock (with just ONE finger), though I can feel that it takes a bit more force (so people with a bit weaker fingers might prefer the axxis lock)
Other than that the CBBL has only advantages constructionwise imho: Keeps the knife really safely closed in the pocket AND lets you "manually control the closing action" a lot better than an axxis lock - which means that one can use all the backlock-closing methods in a bit "modified" manner with a CBBL.
And I have to say: The only knife that DID cut me (twice) cause it came open in the pocket was an axxis lock folder. Plus axxis lock omega springs broke twice on my Minigrip (as always I have to give credit here though to the in my case great customer service of benchmade: They send me new springs for free from the US to Europe, and installing those was pretty easy).

- Stock thickness: Said in my post here as an perhaps "unpopular opinion" that in my use 3mm stock is strong enough even in ffg and even in hard use (at least in the steels I know) - even THINNER would be a dream in many knives! (Chaparrall XL... :rolleyes: )

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 pm
by Bloke
PStone, ... bloody legend! Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cool: :)

Image

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 am
by PSquared
My opinions are often not popular (or at least not mainstream) be it regarding knives or anything else.

Regarding knives and particularly Spyderco my opinions that seem to go against the trend are:

- Favorite and most carried lock is a liner lock. I live and use knives in an urban environment and don’t need super strong locks. Maybe because I grew up with non locking folders and don’t expect the lock to change a folder into a fixed blade. If I need a fixed blade, I’ll use a fixed blade.

- I’m not really on board with the Taichung knives yet - there, I said it out loud. I don’t doubt the build quality but I have had to rebevel more Taichung knives than from any of Spyderco’s other makers (with the possible exception of Italy but my sample is too small). My pride of ownership is not on the same level with a Taichung Spyderco as it is with a Japanese or Golden made Spyderco.

- The Para Military doesn’t work for me. I still have a PM2 that I never carry and I sold my original Para Military that I possibly preferred to the PM2.

- The compression lock isn’t for me. This is possibly the cause of the opinion above. Tried the PM1, PM2, S and Junior and decided I don’t need to try any more unless everything else about the knife screams “pick meeee”.

I’m grateful that Spyderco makes such a variety of knives to suit all tastes and opinions and I will leave with a quote from George Patton : “I everyone is thinking alike then someone isn’t thinking”. Differing opinions is a healthy thing.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 am
by Bill1170
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 pm
As for unpopular opinions:

1. I don't have any desire for a folder smaller than the Pacific Salt / Endura. For my uses there are no benefits to the smaller size.

2. I've never used the sharpmaker safety rods, the dvd or the lid to the case.

3. I don't see a point to putting bearings in knife pivots. It seems like unnecessary complexity considering how smooth a well made knife with washers can be.

4. For me, the axis lock doesn't have any advantage over the cbbl. Though, from a design perspective, it may fit into models where a cbbl would take up too much space.

5. I've always unlocked cbbl with just my thumb. Never handled a cbbl knife that was too stiff for this method to work.

6. I'd like more models with stock thickness under 3mm. Using a lot of SAKs and Opinels this year made me realize how excessive 3mm thick blades are for most things I cut.

7. I've never handled an after market clip I like as much as the standard hourglass clip.

8. I don't get the copper trend. Heavy, smelly, and IMO inferior across the board to Ti.

9. I prefer not to have drop shut action. I prefer to manually control the closing action.

10. I really don't like the sprint business model. Missing out on the Manix XL sprint after asking for a sprint for a decade put a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily I got one on the secondary market for a fair price.
I’m right with you on numbers 3, 6, and 8.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:34 am
by Notsurewhy
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 pm
PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:44 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.
We're on the same page. I guess the artificial part added some confusion. They're just scare because of they're a limited run
Unless it is limited because of a rare/unobtainable material used in it's construction, a limited run is the very definition of artificial scarcity.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am
by PStone
Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:34 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 pm
PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:44 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm


Definitely unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Of course sprint and (some) exclusive runs are "artificially scarce". They're LIMITED production runs. That's what makes them special and so desirable. Not everyone is going to be able to get one. I don't see why that's a problem.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.
We're on the same page. I guess the artificial part added some confusion. They're just scare because of they're a limited run
Unless it is limited because of a rare/unobtainable material used in it's construction, a limited run is the very definition of artificial scarcity.
Hard to argue that statement, same as SharpGuy said. You also said, “aritificial scarcity” is the problem. So limited editions are the problem? And further, by using that same semantical argument, and logic, even regular production models become limited editions (“artificially scarce”), because they only make so many at a time. In batches. So are all knives are the problem?

Maybe I just misinterpreted what you meant and am just being a wise ***. But to me, the term “artificial scarcity” seems like it was meant to be used negatively. A dastardly scheme of some sort. That’s what I disagree with. I don’t see that from Spyderco at all. Or anyone really. They all make limited editions. I happen to really like the way Spyderco does it. Apparently so many other people do too, that it’s a “problem”.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am
by PStone
Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 pm
PStone, ... bloody legend! Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cool: :)
I figure it takes some BIG cajones to try and bloke, Bloke! So glad I made you laugh! :spyder:

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am
by Ankerson
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim

Jim,

I hear you there, I just can't do it.... :rolleyes:

It's like watching paint dry.... And most of them have no clue what they are talking about in the 1st place.

Some of the older ones way back used to be pretty good, not so much these days however.

A lot of them like to hear themselves talk too much IMO....


Jim

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:29 am
by The Meat man
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim

Jim,

I hear you there, I just can't do it.... :rolleyes:

It's like watching paint dry.... And most of them have no clue what they are talking about in the 1st place.

Some of the older ones way back used to be pretty good, not so much these days however.


Jim
What gets me is how long those "unboxing" videos so often are. You should be able to unbox a knife, point out key features, show size and various grip positions, all in about 3 minutes. No need to waste everyone's time with 20+ minutes of rambling.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 am
by Ankerson
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:29 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim

Jim,

I hear you there, I just can't do it.... :rolleyes:

It's like watching paint dry.... And most of them have no clue what they are talking about in the 1st place.

Some of the older ones way back used to be pretty good, not so much these days however.


Jim
What gets me is how long those "unboxing" videos so often are. You should be able to unbox a knife, point out key features, show size and various grip positions, all in about 3 minutes. No need to waste everyone's time with 20+ minutes of rambling.

More like a minute and a half at most for what they worth, and they aren't worth even that.

New knife with the factory edge and never cut anything with it....

Useless video.....

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 pm
by 5-by-5
The Slysz Bowie is a boring design. Almost as boring as the Sebenza, which hasn't changed since the 70s.

People only say it's great because other parrots say it.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:00 pm
by James Y
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim

Jim,

I hear you there, I just can't do it.... :rolleyes:

It's like watching paint dry.... And most of them have no clue what they are talking about in the 1st place.

Some of the older ones way back used to be pretty good, not so much these days however.

A lot of them like to hear themselves talk too much IMO....


Jim
Jim,

Another big problem, related to the over-talking on those videos, is the vast majority of them can’t speak on camera properly enough to be even semi-interesting. Speaking well on camera is a skill (or, less commonly, a natural gift) that relatively few people possess. Besides needing to know what they’re actually talking about, if they’re going to post a video for everyone to see, there should be at least SOME preparation beforehand, and something to set the video apart from the first million already out there on the same subject. And they need to know that the interest is in THE KNIFE, not in them. Care about the subject you are covering to make it presentable.

Apparently, lots of people like those types of videos. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why.

There are a few who are very good at it, but only a small few. But they can make it interesting, and it’s clear they know how to speak on camera, understand their subject, keep it fairly concise, and do it with at least some degree of professionalism.

Jim

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm
by BobABQ
vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:45 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm
BobABQ wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:00 pm
I have a Sharpmaker but I almost never use it, not overly fond of it.
I also agree with this. I never use my Sharpmaker base...but I use the rods and free hand with them. I get much better results this way for some reason. I only used the based when reprofiling with the CBN rods, until I got a DMT Extra/Coarse double sided benchstone.
Have you ever tried using the sharpmaker like a bench stone?

https://streamable.com/7lpkll

Watch the end.

I get my best edges this way.
No, I have not used the Sharpmaker as a benchstone. I just went out and bought the medium and fine benchstones from Spyderco. I love the ceramic sharpening stones.

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:29 pm
by Ankerson
James Y wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:00 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am
James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim

Jim,

I hear you there, I just can't do it.... :rolleyes:

It's like watching paint dry.... And most of them have no clue what they are talking about in the 1st place.

Some of the older ones way back used to be pretty good, not so much these days however.

A lot of them like to hear themselves talk too much IMO....


Jim
Jim,

Another big problem, related to the over-talking on those videos, is the vast majority of them can’t speak on camera properly enough to be even semi-interesting. Speaking well on camera is a skill (or, less commonly, a natural gift) that relatively few people possess. Besides needing to know what they’re actually talking about, if they’re going to post a video for everyone to see, there should be at least SOME preparation beforehand, and something to set the video apart from the first million already out there on the same subject. And they need to know that the interest is in THE KNIFE, not in them. Care about the subject you are covering to make it presentable.

Apparently, lots of people like those types of videos. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why.

There are a few who are very good at it, but only a small few. But they can make it interesting, and it’s clear they know how to speak on camera, understand their subject, keep it fairly concise, and do it with at least some degree of professionalism.

Jim

Jim,

A lot of them seem to get the idea that they are a star... :rolleyes:

And it's apparent also, personally I don't hear more than blah, blah, blah after the 1st min.... And it would be better with the sound off.... There is really only so much one can say about a knife they have never used or even had for more than 10 mins that would be relevant. Like I said before, 1.5 mins and that's even pushing it....


Jim

Re: Unpopular opinions

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:04 pm
by wrdwrght
In no particular order, and not to the same degree of seriousness, and certainly in no way complaints that would turn me away...

Coated blades are a fad, unless sun-dazzle or a ninja-like approach is really an issue in your work; patina is nicer.

An unopposed Torx-head on a “D” post is a pivot waiting to spin in unlined FRN; lateral blade-play is the worst of all lock-up issues.

Symmetry is not reason enough for a handle to be only a little more than a blade’s length; my hand feels like it is being pushed off my Southard.

Flipperized Spydies are a contradiction of design philosophies.

European steels in Japanese Spydies make the latter less special and may even deaden the drive to explore Japanese steels.

The Dragonfly is a thumb-killer.

The midlock Lil’ Native is a masterpiece of littlization; the slipjoint Lil’ Native’s appearance will undermine the justly-popular Urban, hence its delay.

PStone does better animated GIFs than Bloke, once.