Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by steelcity16 »

There needs to be more blacked out production models. The Dragonfly Salt, Delica, Endura, and Native Salt all could use a blacked out variant.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:55 pm
There needs to be more blacked out production models. The Dragonfly Salt, Delica, Endura, and Native Salt all could use a blacked out variant.
I agree, there should always be a murdered out option. The delica and endura have it... but they aren’t FFG.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:32 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am
My most unpopular opinion.. brace yourselves now..

People who carry knives daily, but only cut apples and open letters are "users" too! There, I said it!

I’ve had a knife in my pocket every day for over a decade. In a given day, I may open mail/packages, cut up an apple at work, cut a loose thread off of clothing, maybe cut some rope here and there, or perform any one of a dozen similar tasks for which a knife is a sufficiently handy tool. If I need to perform a “harder use” task than any of those.. well, I probably have a tool designed specifically for it..

Hello.. Boxcutter.. the intended task is the name of the tool.. what, that's crazy!?!

I guess my point here is that I don’t really care how people use their knives. I am bothered when people start to look down on others for how they use (or don't use) theirs. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who carries a knife and uses it in any way, no matter how “insignificant” the task, is a “user.” We’re all here because we enjoy knives and we should all be able to enjoy knives in our own way. Hahah, end of rant.

;)
I am in general agreement with your stance. Especially when people look down on other people because they don’t share the same opinions.

I think your reference to a box cutter is good and opens the door to some other design aspects of pocket knives that really dictate how they are supposed to be used. Like rescue knives, like salt serrated blades, and tactically oriented knives like the Yojimbo, Matriarch, etc.

How one uses these purpose design tools is another matter, but they were conceived designed and built to perform excellently at their intended tasks
That is a great point Michael. Different design features certainly do lend themselves to being more or less useful for specific tasks, you'll get no argument from me there. My "unpopular opinion" was geared more toward what seems to be a growing animosity between the "hard use" crowd and everyone else (casual users, collectors, etc). It's much more subtle in the safe space that is the Spyderco Forum, but has become quite off-putting in some of the knife-related social media platforms out there. Differences of opinion are one thing, but the inflated sense of grandiosity some people have over how they use (or others don't use) their knives drives me mad haha, especially when they start berating others in the comments sections! Hah, I've joined a quickly left quite a few knife groups on facebook. Always makes me appreciate my visits here on the forum! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:32 pm
I think your reference to a box cutter is good and opens the door to some other design aspects of pocket knives that really dictate how they are supposed to be used. Like rescue knives, like salt serrated blades, and tactically oriented knives like the Yojimbo, Matriarch, etc.

How one uses these purpose design tools is another matter, but they were conceived designed and built to perform excellently at their intended tasks
Haha! This makes me think of trying to carry my Matriarch and use it sensibly at work. It CAN be done, but it certainly wasn't practical or the best tool for the job! I did like the SE factor though, which led me to the SE Wharnie Delica...much better for the job!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
I agree, there should always be a murdered out option. The delica and endura have it... but they aren’t FFG.

Exactly, they are the saber combo edges. FFG PE blacked out Delicas, Enduras, Dflies, Endelas, Police LW, etc should be production models.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:20 pm
prndltech wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Exactly, they are the saber combo edges. FFG PE blacked out Delicas, Enduras, Dflies, Endelas, Police LW, etc should be production models.

You won’t find an argument from me :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 am
My most unpopular opinion.. brace yourselves now..

People who carry knives daily, but only cut apples and open letters are "users" too! There, I said it!

I’ve had a knife in my pocket every day for over a decade. In a given day, I may open mail/packages, cut up an apple at work, cut a loose thread off of clothing, maybe cut some rope here and there, or perform any one of a dozen similar tasks for which a knife is a sufficiently handy tool. If I need to perform a “harder use” task than any of those.. well, I probably have a tool designed specifically for it..

Generally, I understand that this hobby is pretty subjective.. people like what they like and I'm a-okay with that. If you want to spend 17 hours a week filming yourself cutting 3274 ft of cardboard and chopping down small trees in your backyard with your pocket knife, that's fine by me.. have at it! ****, I’ll even admit that it's pretty cool to watch sometimes and that the data collected can be really interesting.

Where I'm rubbed the wrong way though, is when these people adopt an attitude that they are somehow superior to less intensive users because of their own perceived “hard use.” Could I cut every cardboard box that I see into 217 pieces with my PM2? Sure. But why? I have no reason to. If I want to “break down” a box, I use my knife to cut the tape at the opening and .. wait for it.. fold the box in half! It lays just as flat… shocking, I know! Why does my ability to resist the urge to unnecessarily dice the box into a zillion pieces with my pocket knife make me any less of a “user?” Could I take my Shaman out into the woods and chop down 17 medium sized tree limbs with it? Yeah, probably. But I can think of five or six tools off the top of my head that would be better choices for the job..

You see where I’m going with this? In a pinch, I’m sure I could use my knife pretty reliably to perform any number of hard use tasks.. ****, I admit, I’ve abused a knife or two in my day working construction/landscaping jobs.. but typically.. why would I risk my edge or my knife when there are more appropriate tools that are literally designed to perform these jobs? Hello.. Boxcutter.. the intended task is the name of the tool.. what, that's crazy!?!

I guess my point here is that I don’t really care how people use their knives. I am bothered when people start to look down on others for how they use (or don't use) theirs. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who carries a knife and uses it in any way, no matter how “insignificant” the task, is a “user.” We’re all here because we enjoy knives and we should all be able to enjoy knives in our own way. Hahah, end of rant.

;)

Depends on how big the box is...;)

Small boxes, yeah, I cut the tape too then fold them or just cut them in half...

Large boxes need to be cut up, not in little tiny pieces, but cut up though.

Box cutters are for the most part pretty useless a lot of the time, they do have their uses however. And believe me I have use a lot of different ones in my life. Was in the grocery business for almost 30 years all together.

A knife works better for a number of things over a box cutter.. I used both....
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

^ I'm the opposite here now. In my early days of getting into Spydercos I was searching for the ultimate box cutter folder from Spyderco. Now years later I have a ton of Spyderco users that I use for pretty much everything except breaking down cardboard. I find a box cutter with the incredible Stanley Carbide blades to be the best tools to just rock through miles of cardboard, no matter how thick. The blades last forever. Seriously. I put a new blade in each of my 4 or 5 box cutters probably over 2 years ago and haven't had to change one yet. They still blast through like laser beams. So I still have about 45 brand new blades waiting from a $20 pack. I fill 2 huge rollout bins with cut up cardboard every 2 weeks. And these are just normal generic Stanley utility knives. Nothing fancy. I think the combo of the super sharp super thin blade and the angle you can get slicing through the cardboard while choking all the way up on the handle is just hard to beat.

I also use my kitchen knives in the kitchen rather than my folders. I'll use a folder out at a restaurant or somewhere outside the house though.

And I use my finger to open envelopes. :p
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm
^ I'm the opposite here now. In my early days of getting into Spydercos I was searching for the ultimate box cutter folder from Spyderco. Now years later I have a ton of Spyderco users that I use for pretty much everything except breaking down cardboard. I find a box cutter with the incredible Stanley Carbide blades to be the best tools to just rock through miles of cardboard, no matter how thick. The blades last forever. Seriously. I put a new blade in each of my 4 or 5 box cutters probably over 2 years ago and haven't had to change one yet. They still blast through like laser beams. So I still have about 45 brand new blades waiting from a $20 pack. I fill 2 huge rollout bins with cut up cardboard every 2 weeks. And these are just normal generic Stanley utility knives. Nothing fancy. I think the combo of the super sharp super thin blade and the angle you can get slicing through the cardboard while choking all the way up on the handle is just hard to beat.

I also use my kitchen knives in the kitchen rather than my folders. I'll use a folder out at a restaurant or somewhere outside the house though.

I agree with all this. Right tool for the job.
My EDC bag has RUK box cutter Leatherman Wave and Micra. Oh and a Glock. I'm not using a Spyderco for self defense.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fingers have a high carbon content and are rustproof! Edge holding ability is not great tho Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:17 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fingers have a high carbon content and are rustproof! Edge holding ability is not great tho Lol
They make great picks too! A little taboo for public, but what do I know. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Utility blades are super soft, but sharpen up quickly - also proof that geometry cuts, a dullish blade still goes through cardboard pretty well

I hate that most utility knives have such little blade exposure - the utilizer has good exposure but expensive, and utility knives are true beaters - got to cut the shrink wrap off the steel cable? Gotta cut a plastic cap that was taped to the end of a pipe? Got to cut rope and zip ties off a metal barricade? Go for it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:40 pm
Utility blades are super soft, but sharpen up quickly - also proof that geometry cuts, a dullish blade still goes through cardboard pretty well

I hate that most utility knives have such little blade exposure - the utilizer has good exposure but expensive, and utility knives are true beaters - got to cut the shrink wrap off the steel cable? Gotta cut a plastic cap that was taped to the end of a pipe? Got to cut rope and zip ties off a metal barricade? Go for it.

Try the Stanley Carbide utility blades. Definitely not soft. You are right about the geometry. Hard to beat for slicing cardboard.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea, I've had some bad experiences with Stanley box cutters. The main reason I turned to pocket knives at work around 6 years ago or so. My work provides you with the orange Stanley, spring loaded box cutters. Those blades are horrendous!! Obviously not the Carbide ones, but these one dull very quickly, I've broken them or broken the tips off many times. Even from the tension of tightly banded plastic strapping. Yes. They definitely glide through cardboard no problem, but it's also such a small cutting edge.

To me, I prefer a pocket knife that I know I've maintained, is plenty sharp enough and has a longer blade and more edge that can be used for particular tasks, and way more ergonomic for when I'm cutting materials for an extended period of time.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

The thing I dislike about box cutters is how short the blade is.

They work great for a single layer of cardboard.

But when I break down a large box, I'll slice it, stack the two halves together, slice those, stack the quarters together, slice them all in one cut and so on. It's a lot faster than going through single layers at a time.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:33 pm

But when I break down a large box, I'll slice it, stack the two halves together, slice those, stack the quarters together, slice them all in one cut and so on. It's a lot faster than going through single layers at a time.

What is your weapon of choice for a stack of 4 sheets of cardboard?
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:44 pm
vivi wrote:

I vote Chappie. Super thin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:49 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
vivi wrote:

I vote Chappie. Super thin
The SE Wharnie Delica has been very impressive. Any of my Manix's as well.

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
vivi wrote:

The Police is nice for this. FFG, 3mm stock with full distal taper, K390 for edge holding, and the blade length means I can start cuts with a slice instead of exclusively relying on push cuts.

If I have a lot of cardboard to slice I'll grab a fixed blade with a ~4" blade because the handle is more comfortable.
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:17 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
LOLZ! :eek: :D :p