Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by Woodpuppy »

Moneyman wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:48 pm
...I learn a lot, but one reason I don’t post much is it seems many of my opinions aren’t held by the majority of this community.
This is the best reason to post! We don’t need to be an echo chamber. Spyderco makes a tremendous variety of knives because customers are as different as can be (avoiding the snowflake analogy).

Jump in the fray and post away!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

PStone wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 am
Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:34 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 pm
PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:44 pm

I agree and disagree at the same time. I don’t see a problem at all. I love the sprint game. But I also don’t see artificial scarcity.
We're on the same page. I guess the artificial part added some confusion. They're just scare because of they're a limited run
Unless it is limited because of a rare/unobtainable material used in it's construction, a limited run is the very definition of artificial scarcity.
Hard to argue that statement, same as SharpGuy said. You also said, “aritificial scarcity” is the problem. So limited editions are the problem? And further, by using that same semantical argument, and logic, even regular production models become limited editions (“artificially scarce”), because they only make so many at a time. In batches. So are all knives are the problem?

Maybe I just misinterpreted what you meant and am just being a wise ***. But to me, the term “artificial scarcity” seems like it was meant to be used negatively. A dastardly scheme of some sort. That’s what I disagree with. I don’t see that from Spyderco at all. Or anyone really. They all make limited editions. I happen to really like the way Spyderco does it. Apparently so many other people do too, that it’s a “problem”.
Maybe there are other advantages, but the only positive I can see for limited editions is if you value something more because someone else can't have one. Not my thing. Seems a silly thing to place value on to me.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Sprints and limited editions and exclusives and everything like that are just another example of capitalism in action. Keeping on the catch phrases, "don't hate the player, hate the game." Unpopular opinion, capitalism sucks. I'm not 100% to that opinion as capitalism allows this forum and community to exist. So, I play and really like the forum part of the game and the cutting with cool Spydie knives part of the game. I try my best not to get hooked by good salesmanship or begrudge an aggressive sales person.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Maybe there are other advantages, but the only positive I can see for limited editions is if you value something more because someone else can't have one. Not my thing. Seems a silly thing to place value on to me.
Well now, I did mistake what you were saying. Apologies. Understood this time round. Although it may not be that unpopular when you put it like that. I’m inclined to totally agree with you except for one thing. I don’t go for limiteds for exclusivity. I go for them because it’s usually the only way to get a certain configuration of options.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Here's one: neither flippers nor their customers are the problem. The problem is artificial scarcity. Make more knives and there is no problem.
I agree and have said similar in the past. It is a strongly unpopular opinion. :(
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

I think most people who aren’t buying knives for the primary purpose of collecting or flipping would agree that creating artificial scarcity is counterproductive.

There is really no way that Spyderco can accurately predict demand. Making small incremental batches of lower demand configurations makes sense. Making a small batch and then promising never to sell another batch in the “exact” same configuration is just a short-term money grab, which might ultimately hurt long-term sales of popular sprint configurations. Either that or they start playing games like switching the recent Cru-wear name for Z-wear.

The Shaman is an interesting case because I suspect there a lot more demand for z-wear and Micarta than the standard configuration.
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Karl_H wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:56 pm
I think most people who aren’t buying knives for the primary purpose of collecting or flipping would agree that creating artificial scarcity is counterproductive.

There is really no way that Spyderco can accurately predict demand. Making small incremental batches of lower demand configurations makes sense. Making a small batch and then promising never to sell another batch in the “exact” same configuration is just a short-term money grab, which might ultimately hurt long-term sales of popular sprint configurations. Either that or they start playing games like switching the recent Cru-wear name for Z-wear.

The Shaman is an interesting case because I suspect there a lot more demand for z-wear and Micarta than the standard configuration.
100% agree. I'd love to get a Shaman in Rex 45 or Cruwear but I don't want to pay what they go for on the secondary market. If the Shaman is supposed to be a "heavy use" folder, it should come in a tool steel instead of S30V. The only knife I'll pay close to $200 on that's S30V is the Kapara because I can't get it in anything else.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I think limited Sprints and Exclusives are cool and add to the fun. It's a great way to introduce a huge amount of variety into the regular production knives.

Think how many Para 3 variations exist, for example - there's no way Spyderco could have put out so many variations if they HADN'T been limited runs.

The limited number - "scarcity", if you will - is what enables us to get our hands on so many different flavors of knives which would otherwise not exist.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I prefer all my blades in high speed tool steel, except for long term corrosive environments.
folders
liner locks
<= 3.25 inch blades
<= 4.5 inch handle
<= 1 inch blade height
<= .1 inch blade thickness
slight negative blade angle
thumb hole opening
neutral grip
clip or straight spine point
Continuous curved edge
Solid clip

If I can modify to these parameters, that's fine.

I don't care what the knife was intended for, I'll use it the way I need to. If it doesn't hold up, too bad for me I guess. With enough use, I will eventually find its limits.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I’m way more likely to sweat on a blade than to dull it in a single use where I need it sharpened but don’t have the opportunity. So while I see the allure of some of these extreme edge retaining tool stools I really don’t seriously consider them.

Though admittedly I try to maximize what I can get out of stainless.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I’m way more likely to sweat on a blade than to dull it in a single use where I need it sharpened but don’t have the opportunity. So while I see the allure of some of these extreme edge retaining tool stools I really don’t seriously consider them.
IMO the tool steels have way more going for them aside from wear resistance but I understand how someone values one attribute higher than the other ones. S90V and S110 are certainly no slouches when it comes to wear resistance in any event and take a backseat to only a few tool steels for that.

I find I treat all the different steel knives the same maintenance wise anyways. I clean the stainless knives every time I get corrosive stuff on them just like non stainless and in the 50 years I've been carrying and using knives the only time I rusted one was at the ocean on a beach with my knife in my pocket swimming and it had rust on it by the second day. It was a stainless knife too and that is when I started treating stainless and non stainless knives the same. That was decades before H1 and Salt knives naturally.

For folders I value the combination of good wear resistance with decent edge stability I get with knives that can do their best work at rc 62 or above on thin edges. That typically means one of the tool steels.

Joe
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I suppose I treat my stainless blades the same as I would tool steels, which in most scenarios would be plenty to take care of carbon steel. But on days where I’m doing physical work outside in the summer, or going for a hike it may be half a day before I pull my knife out. And with how I sweat, the blade may be soaked in sweat for hours.

I’ve had little bits of rust form in the pivot and jimping on s30v and xhp in those situations. So I’m guessing some of these lower chromium steels may not fair well.

I use a ton of carbon steel in the kitchen. I’m not opposed to it by any means, but again, in my own use of folders rust is more likely than dull without the ability to touch up.

K390 and 4v interest me. At some point the mood may strike me and I may pick one up and I guess them I’ll have a more educated opinion on this topic. The title is unpopular opinions, not educated ones.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The title is unpopular opinions, not educated ones.
:D Good point!

Joe
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

1) I'd rather have a fixed blade. I have many folders and I do like them but if I have a fixed blade (usually MT) near me I use that 9 out of 10 times.

2) Hawkbilled SE does it better. What do I mean by "it"? Everything! :D

C) I have zero intent or desire to purchase any other knife than Spyderco, if that makes me a homer, well then bring me a donut! :eek:

4) I like smooth and polished handles/scales just as much as textured.

Edit: I also don't like my precious fingers to be in the path of a closing blade.
Last edited by legOFwhat? on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Browncoat

Post by Browncoat »

I think my controversial blade opinions are:

BBL lock is probably the best out there, but I'm not really a fan of the CBBL lock.

Spyderedge is where it's at

Small blades are perfectly adequate more often than not

Same goes for VG-10

Also, Reverse-S is the best small blade shape
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

I hate framelocks.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Browncoat wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:19 pm

BBL lock is probably the best out there, but I'm not really a fan of the CBBL lock.

Same goes for VG-10

I couldn’t agree more on on the small blades. (Most of my other preferences are unpopular, so I’ll just stick with this one for now. ;) )
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Unpopular Opinions....that is what most of you have.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 pm
Browncoat wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Same goes for VG-10

I couldn’t agree more on on the small blades. (Most of my other preferences are unpopular, so I’ll just stick with this one for now. ;) )
Not trying to be disrespectful, but I thought I've read you said your a collector and not a user? I admire your collection, it's amazing! But if you don't actually use your knives, it's difficult to form an opinion I would think?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Michael is a knifemaker/designer (Spyderco Reinhold Rhino for an example to anyone that doesn't already know). He's also a collector of vintage spydies and one of the nicest and longest tenured members of this forum. I look forward to seeing more of your designs in a spydie collab in the future!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb