Unpopular opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish Byrd and the Tenacious were finished as nicely as Ruikes, etc

Most users are fine with steels like 8cr

Most pocket knives are used more like knife shaped pry bars and scrapers than for pure cutting (at least in construction) - for every time one has to cut rope, open a package, there's a need to scrape something off of something else, cut and pry something off of another hard thing (someone used my victorinox Swiss tool spirit's scraper tool, which was the right tool, to scrape this plastic cap off a PVC pipe and the edge rolled right over) - do super steels even matter in cases like that?

Most online reviewers just rattle off specs, and nit pick designs without even putting the knife through the paces. Sure, it's "drop ******", the blade is centered, the pocket clip sticks out too much for you, and the jumping looks pretty, but how does it feel after slicing something for half an hour?
James Y

Post by James Y »

I forgot to mention that I’m perfectly happy with S30V as one of Spyderco’s base steels. The other base steel, VG-10, is also great. In many ways, I like it even better than S30V, especially if the blade is SE. For those who don’t like sharpening S30V, VG-10 is a very good (though not “super”) steel that sharpens up super-easily.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 am
Most online reviewers just rattle off specs, and nit pick designs without even putting the knife through the paces. Sure, it's "drop ******", the blade is centered, the pocket clip sticks out too much for you, and the jumping looks pretty, but how does it feel after slicing something for half an hour?
So true! Really bothers me when people think that these reviewers know everything too. Reading the comments BLOWS MY MIND!! I do watch a few of them though, just to see a new model that's released and see how it compares size wise to others. Most of these reviewers I could watch on mute.

Sadly, the drop shut up action, easily flickable, perfectly centered blades are what matter most to a lot of enthusiasts out there...that when I sell a knife, I sometimes specify that in my listings just to draw more attention :( Makes me feel like the ultimate tool bag, but it seems to work :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 am
PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 am
I love the original shiny clip on the Swayback.
You're a MADMAN!

:p
What can I say? I like contrast. Life is full of it. Need one to appreciate the other. Light/dark, hot/cold, love/hate. And of course shiny/stonewash!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am
I don’t watch knife reviews unless they’re actually putting the knife through its paces. I don’t need to see the millionth video of someone unboxing a knife and talking about it.

Jim

These are not "reviewers" in my opinion anyway, but are just giving first impressions on a sometimes a rather poor basis (which would still be fine if they´d say so).

I am puzzled sometimes how these youtubers seem to think the ergos of a folder could be evaluated by just holding and squeezing the handle a bit... as we all know, the ergos, feel and stability in hand can change drastically when for example really whittling some hard wood or the like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

I think al lot of so called reviewers, are in fact, repeating popular opinions.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my previous post:

- One of the defining features of the Millie is its great linerlock imho - a comp.lock Millie 2 for me would not be "a real Millie" anymore and be less functional in hard outdoor all weather use

- I really dislike sharpening choils (maybe a not really "unpopular" opinion, since many seem to share it - ?)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 am

- One of the defining features of the Millie is its great linerlock imho - a comp.lock Millie 2 for me would not be "a real Millie" anymore and be less functional in hard outdoor all weather use
+1 on that. It’ll just be a Para4 to me. Still holding out hope for a new real Military in 2020.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 am
I think al lot of so called reviewers, are in fact, repeating popular opinions.

+1

Especially when it comes to steels and their performance (hence this thread / question I posted viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87042. I can´t imagine that all of the youtubers who rave about what a great steel a "reviewed" model offers can actually tell this by real, personal, proven experiences and comparisons)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:24 am
Wartstein wrote:

+1 on that. It’ll just be a Para4 to me. Still holding out hope for a new real Military in 2020.

:p :p we just posted a "+1" on each others post at the exact same time... :)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 am
PStone wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

What’s that they say about great minds?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 am
PStone wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

What’s that they say about great minds?

Well... we know what´s the say! :D
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am
All LW models should have a deep carry wire clip, especially if there is already a G10 version with the spoon.

The PM2 LW with a deep carry wire clip should be Spydercos #1 priority.
Pure madness :eek: Give me spoon clip
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

1. Bearings are great for people that like to "play" with their knives, but I don't think adding more small moving parts to a folding knife is a good idea. They turn a serious, useful design into a "toy" in my eyes.

2. Same with flipper tabs. There are too many factors involved that have to be just right for them to work reliably.

3. Steel liners on a FRN handled knife like the Delica or Chaparral are unnecessary. They add complexity and parts to knives that should be light use and simple.

4. The compression lock works perfectly fine for southpaws, and I think it works better for left handed people than right handed.

5. "Ergonomic" "curved" handles are actually detrimental to use and handling. More neutral handles with nicely rounded edges are better.

6. Standoffs are inferior to backspacers. Again, they add unnecessary complexity, and add more hot spots compared to backspacers. It's not that much harder to clean a knife with a closed back.

7. Drop shut action seems more like a design defect to me.

8. Flippers aren't the problem. People that buy from them are. The only way to deal with them is to not make it worth their while to buy up all the knives.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t care for “drop-shutty” action, either.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Serrated edges are useless.

Thumbstuds are way better than the TRH.

Spyderco should stop making Sprints and Exclusives.

:p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:54 am
I also don’t care for “drop-shutty” action, either.

Jim
Seems to me the user should always be in control of the action of the blade.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
SG89

Post by SG89 »

All of the money we have spent on Spyderco knives could build a literal subdivision
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
anycal

Post by anycal »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am
Many of the new compression lock models would be better suited with a backlock or liner lock.

All LW models should have a deep carry wire clip, especially if there is already a G10 version with the spoon.

The PM2 LW with a deep carry wire clip should be Spydercos #1 priority.

Spyderco kitchen knives are awesome :)
If there are two of us, does that constitute an unpopular opinion? :D
Peter