Best Spyderco for the $$

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BornIn1500

Re: Best Spyderco for the $$

Post by BornIn1500 »

Bow River.
Attachments
bow river.jpg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think I have to go with the Bow River (fixed blade) and the Manix 2 LW BD1N (folder).

Honorably mention for the G-10 Manix 2, depending on what you're looking for.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:22 pm
Definitely NOT the DELICA...it was when prices were lower but man almost $80...nope. I will recommend para 3 lightweight at $90 or if you can find one, -manix 2 g10 rex 45. I paid $122!! That knife could have been sold at a higher price point like $160-180. I can't believe it was only $122 for what you get.
Just out of curiousity:
The Delica is still cheaper than the Para 3 LW, has a pretty similar performing steel (at least going by Larrins last charts), so what makes the almost $ 100 Para 3 LW a generally better value than the $ 85ish Delica?!? - Other than totally subjective personal preference parameters like lock type, ergos, blade stock and so on of course.

On your Manix on the other hand I am totally with you: I know the amazing built quality of the G10 Manix from handling it, this package in REX 45 for $ 122 is really a great value... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think a lot of it, with the Delica had to do with the fact that just 3 years ago it was around $67 I believe? I agree with Cowboy on that, from a price and inflated price the past few years.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm
Just out of curiousity:
The Delica is still cheaper than the Para 3 LW, has a pretty similar performing steel (at least going by Larrins last charts), so what makes the almost $ 100 Para 3 LW a generally better value than the $ 85ish Delica?!? - Other than totally subjective personal preference parameters like lock type, ergos, blade stock and so on of course.

On your Manix on the other hand I am totally with you: I know the amazing built quality of the G10 Manix from handling it, this package in REX 45 for $ 122 is really a great value... :)
Fit and finish is the answer here.
I may not have that many, but each and every one from Seki had a flaw of some kind (gaps, protrudings etc.). Comparing Golden models to those, the finish is impeccable.

Then you can compare the prices also.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:21 pm
Fit and finish is the answer here.
I may not have that many, but each and every one from Seki had a flaw of some kind (gaps, protrudings etc.). Comparing Golden models to those, the finish is impeccable.

Then you can compare the prices also.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:15 pm
I think a lot of it, with the Delica had to do with the fact that just 3 years ago it was around $67 I believe? I agree with Cowboy on that, from a price and inflated price the past few years.

Certainly good points guys!

True that the price for a Delica went up rather steeply in the last years.
And while none of my Seki knives (and I had/have quite a few) had "flaws of some kind" but were/are more than just well made, it is also true that in direct comparison all the Golden knives I´ve tried felt like a bit even better quality.

Still: I can´t fully agree to that the Delica is "definitely NOT a good Spyderco for the §§" while a knife like the Para 3 LW is - for me both are just about equally good when it comes to "bang for the buck" or the Delica even a bit better in that regard (given that it is about 15% cheaper)

Just to highlight my point and "defend" the Delica a bit I may exaggerate in the following, fictional thought experiment ;)

- Let´s say a Spyderco like the Para 3 LW would have been on the market for many years now
- Let´s say there would have never been a Spyderco like the (very refined, 4th iteration!) Delica and never VG10
- Then Sal would come up with something like the Delica 4, as a new, innovative design...
- I could imagine that many would go like: "Man, a folder offering the same edge length like the Para 3 LW.. about 15 % cheaper... and even a tad lighter, despite offering that sturdy linered construction (which btw makes it easy to go for custom scales)... and Sal managed to give it a strong enough blade that it still about 1/3 thinner and in that regard slicier.. totally ambidextrous, very safe locking mechanism... plus a great EDC steel, absolutely comparable to that BD1N... generous, spacious handle plus a Ricasso most people can choke up if they like..."

Know what I mean?
- I am not saying that one of the two is objectively better or objectively a better value
- But imho it is not like the Delica totally looses in the "best bang for the buck" category when compared to a folder like the Para 3...
- And if the Delica was offered for the lower price of some years ago: For me it definitely could compete in the "best bang for the buck" arena...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)