Fit and finish is the answer here.
I may not have that many, but each and every one from Seki had a flaw of some kind (gaps, protrudings etc.). Comparing Golden models to those, the finish is impeccable.
Then you can compare the prices also.
TkoK83Spy wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:15 pm
I think a lot of it, with the Delica had to do with the fact that just 3 years ago it was around $67 I believe? I agree with Cowboy on that, from a price and inflated price the past few years.
Certainly good points guys!
True that the price for a Delica went up rather steeply in the last years.
And while none of my Seki knives (and I had/have quite a few) had "flaws of some kind" but were/are more than just well made, it is also true that in direct comparison all the Golden knives I´ve tried felt like a bit even better quality.
Still: I can´t fully agree to that the Delica is "definitely NOT a good Spyderco for the §§" while a knife like the Para 3 LW is
- for me both are just about equally good when it comes to "bang for the buck" or the Delica even a bit better in that regard (given that it is about 15% cheaper)
Just to highlight my point and "defend" the Delica a bit I may exaggerate in the following, fictional thought experiment
- Let´s say a Spyderco like the Para 3 LW would have been on the market for many years now
- Let´s say there would have never been a Spyderco like the (very refined, 4th iteration!) Delica and never VG10
- Then Sal would come up with something like the Delica 4, as a new, innovative design...
- I could imagine that many would go like: "Man, a folder offering the same edge length like the Para 3 LW.. about 15 % cheaper... and even a tad lighter, despite offering that sturdy linered construction (which btw makes it easy to go for custom scales)... and Sal managed to give it a strong enough blade that it still about 1/3 thinner and in that regard slicier.. totally ambidextrous, very safe locking mechanism... plus a great EDC steel, absolutely comparable to that BD1N... generous, spacious handle plus a Ricasso most people can choke up if they like..."
Know what I mean?
- I am not saying that one of the two is objectively better or objectively a better value
- But imho it is not like the Delica totally looses
in the "best bang for the buck" category when compared to a folder like the Para 3...
- And if the Delica was offered for the lower price of some years ago: For me it definitely could compete in the "best bang for the buck" arena...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40