Best Spyderco for the $$

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Re: Best Spyderco for the $$

Post by fixall »

Best depends on my needs... but generally I find the;

UKPK (slipjoint edc), Chaparral LW (locking edc), and Para 3 LW (hard use locking edc) to be the best values among the Spyderco lineup.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Best and coolest. Well that is a tough combo.

I am still totally blown away by the Bow River, if a small fixed blade is your thing.

On a different note, the Manix 2 always seems to go for a great price for what it is and is one of my favorite knives.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The best Spyderco for the money hasn’t been made yet, it’s USA made with a USA steel that is not crazy expensive!

Cruwear PM2 LW.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Higher

Post by Higher »

I agree with all the options that have been proposed here. I would prefer Para3 myself. This is a choice of taste.

Either way, when you chose Spyderco, you already made the right choice.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:11 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:28 pm
I don't think that the Byrd models qualify>> but I'll admit that for someone who can't yet afford a Spyder they might be a good starting point.

It's hard to argue against the Delica, Endura or Native models. All of those models give you a lot for what you pay for them.

And if you can get any of the three of them in better blade steels it's even better yet IMO.
Point well taken. I guess I bent the rules a bit because they are under the purview of Sal Glessar. Cousins if you will. The OP alluded to an affinity for the Resilience and bang for the buck and since the Byrds are made from 8CRMOV13 as is the Resilience I may have overstepped. Spyderco does 8CR13MOV very well. In my experience the 8CR13MOV in my Byrd Hawkbill is pretty durn good, too. In fact, until they release a serrated Siren, I may have to pick up a serrated Cara Cara Rescue in the interim.
Oh Don't get me wrong Brother because it's like I said the Byrd line would be great for a younger guy who doesn't have a lot of disposable cash to maybe snag one of Spyderco's top quality blades. I was just making the point that the two brands really aren't comparable. It's almost like comparing a Timex to a Rolex>> maybe not that far apart but you get the point ;)

With that said I've had my eyes on a Byrd Crossbill and I've yet to pull the trigger but probably will before too long. I really like Hawkbill blades as companion blades for my main EDC. I do like some of the Byrd designs but I'm just spoiled I guess because I've always been fortunate enough to get the real Spyderco folders and fixed blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:29 pm
The best Spyderco for the money hasn’t been made yet, it’s USA made with a USA steel that is not crazy expensive!

Cruwear PM2 LW.
I'm with you there 100%.. I like USA steels like Crucible & Carpenter. And I've always had an affinity for GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made Spyderco knives.

I do very much also like the Japan made Spyders too ( especially the C-60 Ayoob model) but there is just something really special about the USA made Spyders.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Ukpk. Legal almost everywhere so it's my go to travel knife. Thin (2.5mm) slicey blade with nice ergonomic handle. Designed so that even with no lock, it's nearly impossible to close accidentally during use. Bd1n is a great "budget" steel. It holds an edge well and sharpens like a dream without needing diamonds or cbn. Almost 3in of blade for 1.8oz of weight is outstanding. Made in the USA and still only about $60.
JMM

Post by JMM »

In terms of bang for the buck, my top three choices would be...

FRN Chaparral
Resilience
Sage5 LW

...IMO all 3 are exceptional values and awesome knives.
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I recently got an Endura in ZDP-189. I think it's a huge bang for the buck.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Dazen wrote:

Cruwear PM2 LW.
I truly hope that becomes a reality!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Red

Post by Red »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:04 pm
Dazen wrote:

Cruwear PM2 LW.
I truly hope that becomes a reality!
Yes, me too
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Para 3 LW is my answer for now. It used to be the Tenacious, but you can score a P3LW for about $90 and the Tenacious is now more like $50-60 most places. For $30 more you get a knife with a compression lock, made in the USA, a sweet 50/50 choil, and BD1N steel. No question.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

UKPK.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Endura for sure. Been carrying my two most of 2020. The K390 will be an instant buy and I'm hoping for Cruwear and non-zome GITD versions soon to match the Delicas from 2019.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

FRN Chapparal or Para 3 lightweight
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para 3 LW
Tenacious LW
Dragonfly
Byrd Tern

In any particular order.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

FRN Chappie
UKPK
The Polestar too.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Tenacious is pretty hard to beat.

Although it’s ‘budget’ level by Spyderco standards, the steel, ergonomics and construction quality easily exceed most of its competitors at the the same price point from other knife companies.

Also as mentioned, the UKPK - I think I got my awesome SE Gin-1 UKPK for thirty-something US dollars.

Along the same lines, the Z-Cuts in CTS-BD1N offer amazing value for a US made knife at $20 apiece. I feel every knife afi should have a couple to play with in that beautifully thin bladestock.

And I guess the byrds don’t really qualify, but the Ti handled Robin/Meadowlark/Cara Cara series offer amazing value and quality. I’ve purchased a few for friends and they’re very fine pieces.
Spyder_bro

Post by Spyder_bro »

The native 5 lightweight. Basically a smaller shaman with a back lock.

The smock is my favorite though. And for the money you get a great knife and a fidget toy
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my three favorites are all relatively great value, which is part of why i love them, but definitely not the only reason.

manix 2 (i have a lw and it’s great, but the g10 version is probably a better value despite being more expensive)
yojimbo 2
pacific salt se
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C