important knives in your collection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Duke of Calgary

important knives in your collection?

Post by The Duke of Calgary »

Out of nothing more than curiosity, in your opinion what are the "must have" knives for any collection?
we all have our favourite that seems to suit our unique needs and taste the best.
My choice would be my delica. its light, flat and easy to carry. The blade steel makes it a pleasure to maintain a sharp edge. and its size is just large enough to be useful for most things without being so large I'm mistaken for rambo while opening a bag of pretzels.
if every delica in the world turned to dust tomorrow and i could no longer choose it, i would go with the ikuchi because its also a small knife with really big usefulness
what say you?
consider the little critters in life.. they don't know that they're ugly. I think thats pretty funny.
Sumdumguy

Re: important knives in your collection?

Post by Sumdumguy »

I really like my Micro Dyad.

If I could only have two folders. I'd probably choose it and the Caribbean.

They are both way up at the top of my list. The Baby Horn is neck and neck with it, but the SE blade of the MD, nudges it just above it(barely).

Who am I kidding? I could never have JUST two!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
acer

Post by acer »

I have spent the Last 10 years or so convincing myself and my long suffering girlfriend that all the knives in my collection are SPYDERCO MUST HAVES and I surpose to some extent that’s true well at the point of purchase that was my reasoning at that time, but back on track Military delica endura stretch 2 para 2 manioc 2 , I cant stop👍😁 See what I mean. Have fun . LIVE THE DREAM over and in.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Must haves depend on who's doing the collecting. Open the 2020 catalog. There's a lot of must have knives in there IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In some flavor I think everyone should have:

Military
Dragonfly
Ladybug

Models I'll never let go:

Caribbean SE
Dragonfly Salt SE
Autonomy 1
Military 52100
Shaman Cruwear
Sliverax
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, that is a tough question. On one hand you could chase after unique and unusual knifes. On the other you could acquire knifes that you enjoy using. And of course there might be overlap. I am a utilitarian kind of guy, but a lot of Spydercos appeal to me on that basis. (Knives I like to use). I have quite a number of Manix 2 for some reason. I like the knife a lot and quite a number of interesting variants have come along. I have somehow turned into a steel fanatic without realizing what what happening to me. I use and carry all of my knives, but I have enough that I suppose I can't deny being a collector at this point, though I never set out aiming to collect knives.

But I think everyone should have a PM2 and a Manix and a Military. And certainly a Shaman -- but I am simply enumerating my favorites. The PM2 is always the first knife that jumps into my mind as the quintessential Spyderco that everyone should have.

When I got involved in this (i.e. bought my first knife and discovered this forum). I learned there were Sprints and Exclusives, which was something I never would have guessed. And I decided, "why buy an ordinary PM2, when you can have a sprint", and then the trouble started.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Dragonfly
Para 3 LW
Spyder_bro

Post by Spyder_bro »

Spyderco pits (I don't have but want badly)
Techno 1 s30v
Crucarta shaman
Slysz Bowie
Paysan
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My collection is all users, but it ebbs and flows with what other priorities/interests I need to sink money into. So I may build up a decent collection, then liquidate most of them to fund a newfound project or hobby, knowing I can replace the ones I like in the future. The only one I am 100% attached to at the moment is my Cruwear Delica. It is my favorite steel in my now 2nd favorite model (Endura is the current favorite for the past few months) and is no longer made. I won't get rid of it and I am in constant regret of selling my backups! :( If a Cruwear Endura and/or Endela come out I will be sinking every free penny I have into loading up on these to stock away for my 3 sons.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2. Any flavor, really, but my favorite is the LW Maxamet.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Dragonfly, delica, junction, mantra, chaparral
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Im reasonably certain that the Mantra 1 could accomplish all the tasks I'll ever use a folder for.

It disappears in my pocket, seemingly has the absolute maximum blade length the handle will allow, is super slicy with thin blade stock and the M4 steel will cut forever.

Its probably the only production knife in my collection that i know ill never sell or trade.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

"Important" in my collection is primarily the models i love, the Kopa series, the Jess Horns and Lums (I have the Benchmade and Seki Cut Lums as well) and the Delica and Endura.
Models i don't particularily love, but i feel are Spyderco icons are the Yojimbo, Gunting and Jot Singh Khalsa for example.
"Essential" I'd say Police SS, Military, Delica, Endura and one of the umpteen flavors of PM2
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Gayle Bradley 1 still a wow knife after all the years I have owned it.

Used Pacific salts on the boat for years now and it’s H1 that changed me from fixed blades to folders. (Which are safer) Have put nearly 20 fisherman over the years onto H1 and Spyderco pacific Salt knives. ( Always have a few on the boat and a few in boxes spare )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some of the past models in my collection and a few in my "user arsenal" are the Dyad models, The Temperance 1 models, The Para2 in S110V.

Probably one of the most unique users I have is the blue handled, plain edge VG-10 Spyderhawk. Important to me are knives I'll probably never sell or trade. Those are just a few that come to mind.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

'Must haves' for a well balanced, representative Spydie collection.

- Delica
- Pac Salt SE
- Military
- Paramilitary
- Dragonfly
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I swear! When it rains, it pours.

My wife's car just decided to crap the bed, so a few of my "important" models just became less important! Haha.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The most important knives in my collection are my Police 4, Autonomy 2, and Pacific Salt SE. Those are the ones I'll probably never sell.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m hard-pressed to make such choices, given the burst of new stuff lately (e.g. Caribbean, Shaman, Chief).

If “important” is meant to factor in those models that have stood the test of time, then I could go with these:

Something by Sal: Military Model
Something by Eric: Manix (entire series)
Something by Sal and Eric: PM2

And, then, something to perplex: SE Pacific Salt (WHICH EVERY SPYDIEFAN SHOULD HAVE!)
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hmmmm... You know I'm pretty biased, but what I'm going for r/n is "at least one of each classic."

One each from the Military family, PM2, Millie, and Para 3. A Stretch & a Dragonfly. A Native 5. Bonus points for Manix, Delica, Endura (I don't like these quite as much).

At least one serrated Reverse-S or Hawbill knife, because no one does it like Spyderco.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.