Lil’Jimbo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Lil’Jimbo?

Post by ChrisinHove »

C’mon, a Lil’Jimbo of Lil’Native size would be epic!

I was actually musing on how the Watu is almost a diminutive Yo2 and wondering whether Mr Janich could shoehorn his design ethos into a smaller but still usable package.
Wartstein

Re: Lil’Jimbo?

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:12 am

I was actually musing on how the Watu is almost a diminutive Yo2 and wondering whether Mr Janich could shoehorn his design ethos into a smaller but still usable package.

It probably would have to have a choil in order to offer good ergos (if in Lil Native size)? Not really the design philosophy of the Yojimbo, but I hope you and all who like a Lil Jimbo will get one eventually anyway! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm not sure how much smaller you're looking for, but Michael Janich currently modifies Yojimbo 2's from a 3.11" inch blade to a 2.5" inch blade for 5x5 Combat Solutions. This makes them legal to carry in jurisdictions with restrictive knife carry laws such as Boston, where I live. https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... -yojimbo-2

I bought one a couple months back and absolutely love the size. It provides the full size Yojimbo 2 grip while still offering a blade size short enough to carry legally here in Boston.

The "Chicagojimbo" (Yojimboston?)
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:49 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

It probably would have to have a choil in order to offer good ergos (if in Lil Native size)? Not really the design philosophy of the Yojimbo, but I hope you and all who like a Lil Jimbo will get one eventually anyway! :)
I'm not sure that it would require a choil. If it followed the same design principles as the Para 3, Lil Native, and others, the ergonomics in the pivot area would remain relatively untouched but the blade and handle would be modified to accommodate the shorter sizes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno, the Yojimbo 2 is already a fairly small knife. There have been a few mods that shortened it down a bit more that didn't seem very difficult. Search through DigDug72's posts and check out some that he's done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
I'm not sure that it would require a choil. If it followed the same design principles as the Para 3, Lil Native, and others, the ergonomics in the pivot area would remain relatively untouched but the blade and handle would be modified to accommodate the shorter sizes.

I think I don´t fully understand what you mean (my bad, most likely! :) )
As for your examples:

- One "design principle" of the Lil Native imho is that the grip works for FOUR fingers excactly BECAUSE it has a choil for the index finger... a Yojimbo featuring the same handle length as the Lil Native would not offer enough space for that (due to the missing choil) as far as I can see...

- One "design principle" of the Para 3 imho is to keep the overall shape of the PM2 and NOT modify the handle in a significant way (for me exactly the downside of this model: Keeping the "hook" at the end of the handle (this "hook" is great on the PM 2 for most hand sizes) restricts the handle space on the Para 3 too much. Just for me personally it would be better if the handle flared out like on for example the Sage or Chap)

Anyway... I am sure Mr Janich could come up with a choil-less, smaller version that still offered great ergos. :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

I think I don´t fully understand what you mean (my bad, most likely! :) )
As for your examples:

- One "design principle" of the Lil Native imho is that the grip works for FOUR fingers excactly BECAUSE it has a choil for the index finger... a Yojimbo featuring the same handle length as the Lil Native would not offer enough space for that (due to the missing choil) as far as I can see...

- One "design principle" of the Para 3 imho is to keep the overall shape of the PM2 and NOT modify the handle in a significant way (for me exactly the downside of this model: Keeping the "hook" at the end of the handle (this "hook" is great on the PM 2 for most hand sizes) restricts the handle space on the Para 3 too much. Just for me personally it would be better if the handle flared out like on for example the Sage or Chap)

Anyway... I am sure Mr Janich could come up with a choil-less, smaller version that still offered great ergos. :)
Maybe I should have said "design language?" (I don't know if that helps clarify anything)

The primary focus when making these smaller versions of their knives seems to be keeping the ergonomics as similar to its larger version as possible. (i.e PM2 to Para 3, Native 5 to Lil Native, Efficient to Insistent, etc.)

It may not seem like it but the ergonomics in the pivot area of the Para 3 are the exact same as the PM2. Size and shape they're the same but the Para 3 is shorter at the tip of the blade and butt end of the handle. In theory, you could take an actual PM2 and grind it down to be the same size and shape as a Para 3. Same thing with the Native 5 and Lil Native. The ergonomics in the pivot area of the Lil Native and Native 5 are essentially the same but the tip of the blade and butt of the handle are modified.

So I'm guessing a Lil Yojimbo would also do this. The ergonomics in the pivot area would remain but the tip of the blade and butt end of the handle would end up being modified to decrease overall length.

You're absolutely right though, Mr. Janich would undoubtedly come up with a proper solution to this request. That is one thing I am sure of! ;)
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I'd also take a Dojimbo: Yo blade fit to Dodo handle. I seem to recall someone modding their Dodo's blade to straight wharny...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:53 am
I'm not sure how much smaller you're looking for, but Michael Janich currently modifies Yojimbo 2's from a 3.11" inch blade to a 2.5" inch blade for 5x5 Combat Solutions. This makes them legal to carry in jurisdictions with restrictive knife carry laws such as Boston, where I live. https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... -yojimbo-2

I bought one a couple months back and absolutely love the size. It provides the full size Yojimbo 2 grip while still offering a blade size short enough to carry legally here in Boston.

if i needed something smaller, i’d definitely go with this one.

also, i’ve found that my cold steel tuff lite is very reminiscent of a yojimbo/native love child for real cheap. very solid little knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
archangel

Post by archangel »

Suggestion for name: Yojimbinho
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Reminds me of Jim Beam. I like it.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:53 am

I've been seriously thinking about picking up one of the mods of 5x5 tactical since I saw a post about the Chicagojimbo on the forum. They also have some really cool Delica mods and various accessories. Plus their prices seem really reasonable.
remnar

Post by remnar »

archangel wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 am
Suggestion for name: Yojimbinho
That's a good name. :)

Or "Yo Minbo" ("min" for mini or minimum) :D :spyder:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you very much for your suggestion, a great discussion, and for your confidence in me as a designer. I really appreciate it all.

Sal actually asked me about this concept a while back, so the idea gears are turning...

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd probably need to have one, just base don my name alone.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It’s exciting to hear that a Lil’ ‘Jimbo might be a possibility some day. I’d be all over that for sure.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:13 am
Hey, All:

Thank you very much for your suggestion, a great discussion, and for your confidence in me as a designer. I really appreciate it all.

Sal actually asked me about this concept a while back, so the idea gears are turning...

Stay safe,

Mike
Sign me up... I want one... how about skipping S30V and going for SPY-27?
sal

Post by sal »

Mike's call.

sal