Sal, how about C01 Worker coming back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Na-ra Shin

Sal, how about C01 Worker coming back?

Post by Na-ra Shin »

Tri-angle Sharpmaker is Spyderco's first sharpner, and it is still manufactured and sold.

But where is Spyderco's first knife?
Since sprint run was implemented in 2014, it has disappeared again.
Of course, I think Delica 4 is replacing Worker's position with the current product line.

However, Spyderco continues to make important knives in its history.
Even with the release of the Police 4, the C07 Police is being made while maintaining its original form.
I think it is meaningful in itself.

Sal, you're one of the pioneers of modern folder, and you still have a strong influence on the market.
I firmly believe that maintaining your first mass-produced design will be one of the ways to show Spyderco's identity.
Of course you can adjust its overall shape, and you can adjust its details.
But it would still be a Worker designed by Sal Glesser.
I would be glad if you would consider my proposal positively.
And I look forward to seeing more of your new design.

Sal, I sincerely wish you good health.

From Korea, with Respect.
JD Spydo

Re: Sal, how about C01 Worker coming back?

Post by JD Spydo »

There are 3 models that I feel might be what many people feel is a perfect EDC. Those 3 models in my humble opinion are The C-01 Worker, The Rookie and the C-52 Caly Jr. And it is kind of strange that none of these are being offered anymore. Because all 3 of them had solid fan bases.

The Worker model I believe has been made in 3 different blade steels and maybe it's time to check this model out in a newer/better blade steel.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have mentioned a few times that I would love to see a Workerfly and/or Worklica or even just a brand new Worker LW with a Delica style handle. The G10 Worker sprint version with the liners is a bit heavy for that small of a knife. I carry Seki FRN knives pretty much exclusively these days, and a Worklica/Workerfly/Worker LW would fit nicely into my rotation. I love the blade shape and find the tip very useful.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:25 am
I have mentioned a few times that I would love to see a Workerfly and/or Worklica or even just a brand new Worker LW with a Delica style handle. The G10 Worker sprint version with the liners is a bit heavy for that small of a knife. I carry Seki FRN knives pretty much exclusively these days, and a Worklica/Workerfly/Worker LW would fit nicely into my rotation. I love the blade shape and find the tip very useful.
I’m all in.

I’d love the worker blade back in an FRN package. Maybe even a liner less old school barrel clip?! Oh yeahhhh
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

I have the Worker sprint - great knife. It is surprising they haven't done anything in it since.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I think the Worker sprint was unfortunately too expensive to interest most people.

It looks like Seki-City G10/VG-10 isn't compelling enough.

I wonder if SS/VG-10 would be a big enough price break to draw interest? If it is bead blasted, it would be quite grippy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they could do a modernized version with a thinner SE grind I would be very interested in this one. It's tricky with the blade point the way it's ground, but it seems so useful.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I think the fact that many retailers had Worker sprints in stock until this year (OSO still has them and there are always a few NIB on the Bay) means that this particular knife is not making a come back for a while. I don't think it can be made cheaply enough for mass appeal.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

joeldworkin307 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 am

I think the fact that many retailers had Worker sprints in stock until this year (OSO still has them and there are always a few NIB on the Bay) means that this particular knife is not making a come back for a while. I don't think it can be made cheaply enough for mass appeal.

I think an H1 SE FRN Salt series Sprint as a Worklica Salt or Workerfly Salt would do well and be reasonably priced if they are just shoving a worker-style H1 SE blade in an existing Salt 2 or Dragonfly handle.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ric

Post by Ric »

I love the blade shape but it should get a modern twist.
Lightweight, modern materials.
carrot

Post by carrot »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 am
joeldworkin307 wrote:

I think an H1 SE FRN Salt series Sprint as a Worklica Salt or Workerfly Salt would do well and be reasonably priced if they are just shoving a worker-style H1 SE blade in an existing Salt 2 or Dragonfly handle.
This would make me very happy. I don't think the shape of the Worker handle is distinct enough to value it over the Delica's handle- but maybe we can see a run of Delicas (or Salt 2s) with the Worker's blade.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

carrot wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:17 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:21 am
joeldworkin307 wrote:

This would make me very happy. I don't think the shape of the Worker handle is distinct enough to value it over the Delica's handle- but maybe we can see a run of Delicas (or Salt 2s) with the Worker's blade.
As long as it had less pronounced finger grooves I’d be okay with it
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I often lament selling my Worker; it was my first Spydie. My second was a Q, which was lost by the girlfriend at the time; still have my third, a Remote Release.

Seems in my fuzzy memory that the original Delica handle was very close to the original Worker, if slightly larger. It would make sense to issue a new Worker in the current FRN form factor. From what I have read, G10/SS liner SEKI knives are expensive, substantially so over FRN models, and thus don’t sell well. Combine that with the unique Worker blade shape, and it’s a pretty niche knife. I also surmise that the popularity of full flat grinds has left the Worker behind. Due to the shape of that useful tip, this blade needs the extra thickness to support the tip. FFG would create a pretty weak tip.

I think a Worker LW and a Salt version with updated handle design would be a very cool thing!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I picked up the Worker Sprint a couple of years ago. As a Spyderco fan it made sense to have a version of the "First" Spyderco. Size and feel in-hand closely mirrors my beloved Delicas. The pointy tip was a nice difference too. BUT after a few days of carry I found myself reverting back to my Delica. Why? Weight and FFG. My FFG Delica 4 just carried easier in the pocket and the FFG cut better than the Worker's Sabre grind.

I don't regret the purchase at all though.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I also whould like to have a Worker.
But I don´t know which one?
Getting a Vintage one or try to find a Sprint Run?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

The blade shape is just...uh...oh....no
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Maybe they could use the Delica FRN handle and save money? Then give it a thin high hollow grind.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050