I want a wave on my Spyderhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drahkis

I want a wave on my Spyderhawk

Post by Drahkis »

I use an orange Spyderhawk sprint for work and I'm interested in getting a wave add-on like the pickpocket

https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... o-ccessory

or the wise men Fang

http://wisemencompany.com/fang/

The Fang is a back-up option as I prefer the other but I'm pretty sure the endura version would work for this.

The pickpocket is made to fit for each model, but I'm hoping the Saber grind Endura version of the pickpocket may work.
Has anyone tried this or if anyone out there has this item and a spyderhawk maybe they could give it a test fit for me.

Thanks
Nice marmot

Re: I want a wave on my Spyderhawk

Post by Nice marmot »

I’d suggest using a zip tie.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

They usually measure the spydie-hole in millimeters. I would think if you go for the wiseman and make sure you get one that fits that MM it'll be ok. Not sure about the pickpocket, looks like it also relies on the spine of the blade being the right size.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Nice marmot wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:29 pm
I’d suggest using a zip tie.
I am, purely for function. I hate it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Salts have a wider opening hole diameter than regular enduras.
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

With patience one can cut a wave hook ahead of the hole (just forward of the hole, toward the tip) using a Dremel tool. I have done several this way. It keeps the closed profile lower and works very well.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I have always been interested in these and the signet rings. I would assume it would be durable enough to last a long time but was more interested in the actual function of them. Like would it really help or do I think it would. What would be the biggest benefit that is actually used. So have you had a wave knife before to try?
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The Pickpocket is sleeker than the Signet Ring, but is model specific and does rely on the spine of the blade just above the hole. I don't think they make one for the Spyderhawk because it was discontinued long before 5x5 came into being...

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm all ears and you all definitely get my attention when it comes to Hawkbill blades. I'm sitting here trying to figure "What?" if "any" benefit could an Emerson Wave do for the Spyderhawk model? Or am I misunderstanding the title?

I find the Spyderhawk just the way it was originally designed can be deployed pretty rapidly just the way it is.

I'm always looking to improve things but I'm not really interested in "window dressing".
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:50 am
I'm all ears and you all definitely get my attention when it comes to Hawkbill blades. I'm sitting here trying to figure "What?" if "any" benefit could an Emerson Wave do for the Spyderhawk model? Or am I misunderstanding the title?

I find the Spyderhawk just the way it was originally designed can be deployed pretty rapidly just the way it is.

I'm always looking to improve things but I'm not really interested in "window dressing".
Function over form. Theres no window dressing

As with any waved model. I want it to be open as it clears the pocket. I saY theres as much reason to wave a spyderhawk as there is for any delica or endura
I can open it fast enough, but I'd rather not have to. The more often I use it during the day the more I want it waved.
vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm
Salts have a wider opening hole diameter than regular enduras.
I don't have any calipers. but the holes are within a 64th of each other by a tape measure.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I was thinking the same thing awhile back and forgot to post about it, thank you for bringing it up. I too would definitely welcome a waved version of the Spyderhawk!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I cut a wave into a friend's tasman. It worked really well. Unfortunately he lost it on the job years ago. I've thought about doing the same with the Spyderhawk. I used a bandsaw last time with an 18tpi blade.

If I were to do it to the Spyderhawk it'd probably look something like this

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The more I think about it, the more I would go for VashHash's suggestion. I would probably try to trace a waved Endura's cutout onto my Spyderhawk. If you don't have one, maybe you could even print out a full-scale version and then trade. Then hit it with a Dremel tool, which you can buy for about the same price as a new Endura.

Man, now I want a waved Spyderhawk.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If you have a solid carbide die drill (e.g.- “Hi-Roc” brand) you can drill a hole at the inside of the hook then cut into the hole from both sides. This eliminates the stress riser from a sharp inside corner. In H-1, a carbide twist bit will work. Clamp well, use coolant and slow speed/slow feed on drill press.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I like having the option to wave open my knives. I've considered doing a mod similar to VashHash's pic to my FFG wharncliffe Endura, but it may remove too much structural material. Should have alot less risk with a saber grind.

The aftermarket options look nice, but I'll likely just stick with zip-ties or cutting the spine if possible.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I understand why a lot of people like that Emerson Wave. But on a model like the Spyderhawk I'm just afraid that it might be prone to snagging up on stuff while you're working.

For sure we all like different features on our folders. And I would be the last one to want to deprive anyone of whatever they like. But as far as overall function I personally find the opening hole to be quite sufficient for what I use that model for.

Truly I would like to see them try it on model like the Harpy or Tasman before putting one on the Spyderhawk. But that's just my preference.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:43 am
I understand why a lot of people like that Emerson Wave. But on a model like the Spyderhawk I'm just afraid that it might be prone to snagging up on stuff while you're working.

For sure we all like different features on our folders. And I would be the last one to want to deprive anyone of whatever they like. But as far as overall function I personally find the opening hole to be quite sufficient for what I use that model for.

Truly I would like to see them try it on model like the Harpy or Tasman before putting one on the Spyderhawk. But that's just my preference.
I haven't owned a Spyderhawk, but I sure did enjoy the wave on my Matriarch 2.

I never found that it slowed the knife down when ripping through cardboard, but didn't get the chance to use the knife on much beyond that.

I do think the wave is uniquely suited to knives carried for self-defense. I don't feel like I need one on my EDC.

Holland

Post by Holland »

I would dremel put a DOX Hest type wave

Have to remove a lot less metal
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:18 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:43 am

I haven't owned a Spyderhawk, but I sure did enjoy the wave on my Matriarch 2.

I never found that it slowed the knife down when ripping through cardboard, but didn't get the chance to use the knife on much beyond that.

I do think the wave is uniquely suited to knives carried for self-defense. I don't feel like I need one on my EDC.
Those models are a completely different animal and I can see why that "wave" option could be beneficial in some ways. But for a Hawkbill that already has a Spyderco opening hole big enough to almost put your entire thumb in I just don't see where it would improve anything.

I could be wrong and GOD knows I have been in the past but until I see first hand some really convincing benefits I guess I'll just stay on the sideline. But I'll keep an open mind and listen.

Also I gave up on Hawkbills being a self defense option a long time ago. They don't have a lot of the features that the Reverse S blades do.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:22 am

Those models are a completely different animal and I can see why that "wave" option could be beneficial in some ways. But for a Hawkbill that already has a Spyderco opening hole big enough to almost put your entire thumb in I just don't see where it would improve anything.

I could be wrong and GOD knows I have been in the past but until I see first hand some really convincing benefits I guess I'll just stay on the sideline. But I'll keep an open mind and listen.

Also I gave up on Hawkbills being a self defense option a long time ago. They don't have a lot of the features that the Reverse S blades do.
99% of waved knives won't be used for self defense. The rest will either sit there waiting to be waved out for protection or more likely be used for utililty purposes.

I doubt anyone feels like the Spyderhawk is difficult to open. My wave desire does not stem from that.

JD do you see any point in a wave on an Endura? I could use them interchangeably for 99% of utility tasks. It has the same size spyder hole, equally easy/hard to open, but when I pull it out my waved endura is open and ready to go. The spyderhole becoming temporarily obsolete.

That is what I want from my Spyderhawk. For me it's really not about getting it open as fast as possible, it's more about having the option to skip that step when I choose. I must admit though there is a certain bit of satisfaction that comes from the snapping wave action.