How to turn a Delica into a $350+ knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: How to turn a Delica into a $350+ knife.

Post by sal »

Very nice.

sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Great looking knife!
-Turbo
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

That turned out great!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
fixall

Post by fixall »

araneae wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 pm
Thinking about contoured g-10 or micarta.
fixall wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:10 pm
araneae wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:44 pm
Not my cup of tea as I don't care for metal handles, but it sure is pretty. Been thinking about buying some nice pants for my HAP40 too.
Understandable! They tend to be smooth and add a lot of weight.

Micarta is typically my go to for knives that will got a lot of work and then I save carbon fiber and titanium for my lighter use and “dress” knives.

The Delica is such a great platform for mods... And I think the cladded steel on the HAP40 really takes it up a notch. What were you thinking for yours?!
Hard to beat either. Be sure to show us if you get something made! I love seeing everyone’s creations here. :)
sal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:32 pm
Very nice.

sal

Thanks! I was hoping you wouldn’t find it too superfluous. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nice! :)

And HAP 40 is really worth it (in my rather limited "steel experience") to build a special knife around it...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I think that knife looks amazingly nice. I can tell you and gernot both like hap40, I actually bought a rex 45 lil native to try out the steel and it's the us version of hap40. I am trying it based on gernot raving about how much he likes its and thinks its swell, lol. I know its a tool steel but how rusty is it really, I would think it's pretty resistant.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 am
I think that knife looks amazingly nice. I can tell you and gernot both like hap40, I actually bought a rex 45 lil native to try out the steel and it's the us version of hap40. I am trying it based on gernot raving about how much he likes its and thinks its swell, lol. I know its a tool steel but how rusty is it really, I would think it's pretty resistant.

Hope you like the steel (and the knife) and will report back on it! :)

Don´t know if I was exactly "raving about" HAP 40 ;) (maybe I was), but sure said several times that it is my favorite steel among the (not too many) steels I have tried so far!

Concerning RECX 45 vs HAP 40: I never tried the former, but as far as I know it is kind of the "US version" of HAP 40. Though I think Spydercos REX 45 is run a bit harder than their HAP 40 and of course not laminated as HAP 40 is.
I personally had no rust issues whatsoever on the HAP 40 part of my Endura and Stretch (and of course also not on the SUS 410 laminate steel), but sure some nice Patina going on as you can see on this quite recent pic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60127&start=21660#p1434155
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
fixall

Post by fixall »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:56 pm
Nice! :)

And HAP 40 is really worth it (in my rather limited "steel experience") to build a special knife around it...
I very much agree! I'm a huge fan of HAP40/Rex45. It kind of reminds me of M4 which is another favorite (although I have a little more trouble deburring HAP40).

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:00 am
Thanks! HAP40/REX45 is some wonderful stuff. Really great edc steel in my opinion. I actually have a Rex 45 Lil' Native waiting on some front flipper Micarta scales from Cuscadi as we speak. I'd definitely keep some oil on yours (especially if you live in a humid enviroment). I really like Camellia/Tsubaki oil as a food safe protectant. I live about a mile from the beach, and while I've never dealt with rust, I've definitely had some pepper spotting on uncladded REX45 around the thumbhole when I go extended periods without oiling it (which I have zero issues with as it's just cosmetic). You should come back and let us know what you think of the REX45 Lil' Native after you spend some time with it. As Wartstein said, the REX45 knives have tested a bit harder than the HAP40 knives, so I would expect a bit more edge retention and a tiny bit less toughness out of them (still plenty tough). I think you're going to really love it!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Not my cup of tea, but it is nice.
But I guess I personally would go with black hardware, just to have a bit more contrast.

Now you need some heavy patina on the blade and you are good to go :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
fixall

Post by fixall »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:32 am
Not my cup of tea, but it is nice.
But I guess I personally would go with black hardware, just to have a bit more contrast.

Now you need some heavy patina on the blade and you are good to go :D
I can't tell you how many times I've wished that titanium could be anodized black. I don't really like powder coated or Cerakoted screws or hardware though, they just don't tend to be durable enough for my uses. TiNi could be an option, but I've yet to come across black TiNi spyderco screws/hardware. :(

The patina is on the way! This was fresh out of the box a few weeks ago and has only broken down a few moving boxes so far.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

fixall wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:07 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:59 pm
Looks great for sure, can't argue that! But...at that price point, why not just spend a smidge more and grab a Sebenza or something along those lines?
Been there, done that. :)

The Sebenza can't give me HAP40 with a thin edge (although I am currently trying to find someone to perform a Vanax/N11X Damacore reblade for the Sebenza), nor the ergonomics of the Delica that I have come to love.
Doesn't razor edge knives to custom blades for high end knives?
/ David
fixall

Post by fixall »

Sonorum wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 am
fixall wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Looks great for sure, can't argue that! But...at that price point, why not just spend a smidge more and grab a Sebenza or something along those lines?

The Sebenza can't give me HAP40 with a thin edge (although I am currently trying to find someone to perform a Vanax/N11X Damacore reblade for the Sebenza), nor the ergonomics of the Delica that I have come to love.
Haha, funny you should mention that. Josh was the first (and so far only) person I went to about a Damacore reblade for the Sebenza, but he’s got a lot on his plate right now (I was really surprised he could even squeeze the custom finish on the clip in actually). I’m going to give him some time to see if his work log clears up after a bit before I go elsewhere. His work is pretty incredible.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

absolutely love projects like this. great work.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

fixall wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:04 am
Sonorum wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 am
fixall wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Haha, funny you should mention that. Josh was the first (and so far only) person I went to about a Damacore reblade for the Sebenza, but he’s got a lot on his plate right now (I was really surprised he could even squeeze the custom finish on the clip in actually). I’m going to give him some time to see if his work log clears up after a bit before I go elsewhere. His work is pretty incredible.
I totally agree, I don't follow a lot of knife related stuff on Instagram but REK is really cool with his different regrinds and reblades.
/ David
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

That is a pretty cool looking Spyderco Delica. Job well done.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I mean absolutely no disrespect by this, as i have many knives with custom work that was 5 times the purchase price of the knife (q ball in Z-Max, kettlebell in A11), but:

A knife that costs $350, and a $350 knife can be very different things!
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
fixall

Post by fixall »

Giygas wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 pm
I mean absolutely no disrespect by this, as i have many knives with custom work that was 5 times the purchase price of the knife (q ball in Z-Max, kettlebell in A11), but:

A knife that costs $350, and a $350 knife can be very different things!
No offense taken whatsoever! I agree with you 100%. The build quality of a $350 knife designed from the ground up to be a $350 knife is a whole different animal compared to a ~$100 knife with $250 worth of aftermarket parts. I notice it the most in the tolerances (although I am very pleased with how smooth and solid this ended up). In the clip side picture with the knife closed, you can actually see where the steel liner was rubbing against the blade near the pivot. It was a really easy fix, but you're not likely to see something like that out of a $350 knife out of the factory.

This is a big part of why I really hope the Spyderco custom shop happens and is a hit. Build quality and tolerances would probably be better overall and as we recently saw with the copper Paramilitary 2, steel liners could be completely omitted from metal handled knives, preventing the issue I had.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very nice!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That looks fantastic!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

I really like how that Delica turned out. You did a really good job.

The best part is that thing is a slicing beast. HAP-40 is amazing, I have it on a Pakkawood Dragonfly, a daily user, and gave HAP-40 in a Pakkawood Delica for Father's Day. It really is a great steel.

Now after seeking this, I need a Wharncliffe Delica!!!