Farmer E and the Spydieflick

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Farmer E and the Spydieflick

Post by Liquid Cobra »

He’s gone and done it again. Another hilarious Spyderco video. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/FtOMvF_pOV0
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wartstein

Re: Farmer E and the Spydieflick

Post by Wartstein »

:p

And he makes the most typical "beginners mistake" when it comes to flicking a Spydie:
Pushing the finger in the opening hole OUTWARDS / away from the handle instead of "FORWARD" towards the front end of the handle... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Lol! Another great one!

If I do flick my Spydies, I use my index finger, not my middle finger. The grip is far more natural for me. But I almost never flick my Spydies anymore.

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

The beauty of the Farmers videos is the Farmer, not the flick.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm

sal

True.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm

sal

I agree! He could do a series of videos on pulling weeds and it wouldn’t matter; he would still be highly entertaining.

Jim
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I thought long and hard. I decided that instead of practicing and learning how to flick my Spyderco, I would invest the time instead in learning how to play my Banjo. Seriously.

Another time investment I want to make is watching all (or at least a bunch) of Farmer E's videos. They are great.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

He definitely can´t flick the Siren, at least when it is dirty and gunked up... ;) https://youtu.be/EWs54pz9PmY

But: Seeing the Siren in use and also look used makes me want one even more.. hoping for an SE version soon.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

The only spyderco I own is a manix 2, but I don't find the middle-finger flick to be very useful. Maybe it's just the size of my hands (relatively small for a person my height), but I find the middle finger flick to be more awkward and less reliable than either index finger or thumb flick. Is there a good reason why I should figure it out? Is it actually better for some reason?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:48 pm
The only spyderco I own is a manix 2, but I don't find the middle-finger flick to be very useful. Maybe it's just the size of my hands (relatively small for a person my height), but I find the middle finger flick to be more awkward and less reliable than either index finger or thumb flick. Is there a good reason why I should figure it out? Is it actually better for some reason?
Once I learned it a few years ago I've found that using my middle finger to flick open a blade to be much easier to do vs using my thumb. No problem doing with a Manix 2 and my hands aren't that large either (medium-large glove size). I have no idea how to use your index finger. No desire to learn either since using my middle finger is so natural.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thank you Spyderco, for enabling the Farmer to make more knife content! (says this very biased Norwegian)

@wartstein , he mentioned in the comment section that cleaning out the fish gut did indeed improved the Siren flick.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:03 pm

@wartstein , he mentioned in the comment section that cleaning out the fish gut did indeed improved the Siren flick.

Thanks! Did not read any comments myself.
And coming from only comp.locks (he had "just" Para 3 and Shaman beforehand) a backlock will most likely be harder to flick (can't tell personally anymore, since I am very used to backlocks).
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:00 pm
Once I learned it a few years ago I've found that using my middle finger to flick open a blade to be much easier to do vs using my thumb. No problem doing with a Manix 2 and my hands aren't that large either (medium-large glove size). I have no idea how to use your index finger. No desire to learn either since using my middle finger is so natural.
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a short MP4 video embedded in a reply, but here's a link.

https://i.imgur.com/LyDCVfP.mp4
Red

Post by Red »

Ok, yup that was Awesome. Spyderco’s, 80’s training montage and dogs. Perfection!!
👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:48 pm
It depends on the knife, and how it fits a given person’s hand.

For my hands, with my PM2, nothing else feels anywhere close to the middle finger flick. It’s something I can do without having to think about it. But I have to be careful when doing it with my Military, or I’ll fail to open all the way sometimes. I don’t bother flicking that knife; I just thumb it open the old fashioned way.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I hold the knife with thumb and forefinger.
Then flick with the middlefinger.
Also flick the ringfinger and pinkie.
Its more natural and you get more power if you open that 3 fingers at the same time.

You use the hole opposite of the side you would use your thumb.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

He is very entertaining. A calm in my storm if you will. And the storm has been raging lately so the video today was a welcome one
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
Ric

Post by Ric »

@wartstein
I can flick my dragonflys quite well, after they are a bit worn in. The are not free dropping after I engage the backlock.
The other backlocks only unreliable, with much wrist or they are totally not flickable.

How are your backlocks?
Fully free dropping?

How does a brand new knife behaves?
After which period of time you can flick it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 pm
@wartstein
I can flick my dragonflys quite well, after they are a bit worn in. The are not free dropping after I engage the backlock.
The other backlocks only unreliable, with much wrist or they are totally not flickable.

How are your backlocks?
Fully free dropping?

How does a brand new knife behaves?
After which period of time you can flick it?

Ric,

I can and do flick all of my backlocks(at the moment Delica, Endela, Stretches, Enduras, Pac Salt) except one model with all fingers (pinky in a reverse grip of course). As far as I can recall this was already possible when they were brand new.
They are not fully free dropping (I would not like them that way).

The one exception is the Chaparral FRN: Pretty hard to flick due to the light, short blade.

But I have to say: I am VERY used to backlocks and play around with them a lot.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hahaha! Love it, particularly the Border Collies eyeballing the camera drone in the last shot!

Someone send Farmer E a Baliyo!!!