Galley-V 600F Sharpener now shipping to Dealers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteveMidwest

Galley-V 600F Sharpener now shipping to Dealers

Post by SteveMidwest »

I saw the Galley-V 600F sharpener shipping to Dealers notification today. From Spyderco's App.
I didn't see this sharpener in Reveal #4 or #5, so I was caught a bit off guard.
I'd love to get a couple of these! :spyder:

In the description, it says: ". . extra long stones", but gives no length. As a matter of fact, there is no spec. information at all. In the App, on Spyderco's own website, or at any of the Dealers. Who have pre-built a listing page.

I look forward to leaning more. Like will there be different stone offerings, and what is the grit? On this early 600F version, for example.

Abyss_Fish

Re: Galley-V 600F Sharpener now shipping to Dealers

Post by Abyss_Fish »

i dig it
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
vivi

Post by vivi »

Are these stones like the stones used in the Gauntlet?
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:45 pm
Are these stones like the stones used in the Gauntlet?
Same shape, but I think they are longer rods.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I'm hoping that Spyderco will throw up a video of this soon, on their YouTube channel. Giving us a better look, along with some spec. info..
So we don't have to wait until someone gets one bought, and then does a YouTube review of it. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have owned one of the original Galley V kits since about 2001. When I got it they were being discontinued and I was lucky enough to get one of the very last ones that they had. I was also able to buy some extra stones for the unit as well. The "Cat's Eye" shaped stones in that GALLEY V kit have proven to be quite versatile for sharpening Reverse S blades and Hawkbills. However the system only came with "Fine" stones.

I have also found that those Galley V Stones are great for sharpening the Spyderco Dodo model. I have found that the GALLEY V is basically a great tool for touching up longer culinary type blades and fixed blades in general.

I'm truly looking forward to getting one of these newer GALLEY V systems. I'm hoping that the new Galley V will have more than FINE stones. It's an interesting tool and one that sharpening fanatics will find interesting.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

"Knife users who are truly in tune with their cutting tools do not let them get dull; they maintain their edges with frequent "touch-up" sharpenings. Specifically designed for this type of diligence, the Galley-V has a compact, high-impact-plastic base that can be clamped or even permanently mounted to a countertop or other work surface. The base measures 6" long and 2" wide.

Star-shaped holes in the base position the sharpener's fine ceramic rods at a 20-degree angle (10 degrees per side) to easily create thin, ultra-keen edges on all your knives, especially kitchen knives. The extra-long stones (12" length) are ideal for sharpening large knives and can be rotated to orient their edges to quickly sharpen serrated blades. They are also easily cleaned with ordinary household cleanser." :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A lot of what "stevemidwest" said is right on. But do keep in mind that the Galley V kit is a rather specialized unit. It's mainly for long culinary type blades and it's mainly geared for quick touch up rather than a complete sharpening process.

However I would still like to see more grit selections of stones for this kit. Because to me it's a lot more ideal to use for longer culinary type blades than the 204 Sharpmaker which I love very dearly. With more grit selections there would be so much more you could do with that kit IMO.
jdw

Post by jdw »

How will it handle M4, etc for an easy touch up? I am kind of confused.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:10 pm
A lot of what "stevemidwest" said is right on. But do keep in mind that the Galley V kit is a rather specialized unit. It's mainly for long culinary type blades and it's mainly geared for quick touch up rather than a complete sharpening process.

However I would still like to see more grit selections of stones for this kit. Because to me it's a lot more ideal to use for longer culinary type blades than the 204 Sharpmaker which I love very dearly. With more grit selections there would be so much more you could do with that kit IMO.

I'm with you, JD Spydo.

My comment on this, Sat Jul 18th. Was a copy & paste direct quote, from Spyderco's website. :spyder:

The angle is very low. For thin kitchen knives only, for the most part.
I have some HAP 40 kitchen knives, that are rather hard. With only having about 3% vanadium in them, I think this ceramic stone set-up will be Ok. I'd also like to see some more stone options though. Extra Fine, at the very least.
sal

Post by sal »

We developed he Galley-V primarily for commercial use. They originals were set up at the end of a production row of tables so workers could touch up their blade in a few seconds.

The new version is actually thinner in angle. We went from 30 degrees inclusive to 20 degrees inclusive. Not all kitchen knife steels will handle the thinner edge, but most will, especially used in commercial production applications.

The "Cat's eye" shape is quite versatile and quick.

We clamp them to the edge of a table.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:14 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:10 pm

I'm with you, JD Spydo.

My comment on this, Sat Jul 18th. Was a copy & paste direct quote, from Spyderco's website. :spyder:

The angle is very low. For thin kitchen knives only, for the most part.
I have some HAP 40 kitchen knives, that are rather hard. With only having about 3% vanadium in them, I think this ceramic stone set-up will be Ok. I'd also like to see some more stone options though. Extra Fine, at the very least.
When you got a steel as hard as HAP40 you can always reprofile the shoulder with a diamond benchstone of some type before using one of these ceramic stone sharpening kits. I've found that my diamond sharpening tools have saved me lot of hours of work in the long run and the good stuff like Norton, 3M, DMT, Atomas are all well worth what you pay for them.

I've personally liked 3M the best but there isn't anything wrong with any of the high quality units out there. If you got a really banged up blade you might want to use "coarse" or "extra-coarse" to grind away the damaged areas before doing the finish work on the ceramic stones.
cistercian

Post by cistercian »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 pm
We developed he Galley-V primarily for commercial use. They originals were set up at the end of a production row of tables so workers could touch up their blade in a few seconds.

The new version is actually thinner in angle. We went from 30 degrees inclusive to 20 degrees inclusive. Not all kitchen knife steels will handle the thinner edge, but most will, especially used in commercial production applications.

The "Cat's eye" shape is quite versatile and quick.

We clamp them to the edge of a table.

sal
Hi Sal. I just bought a gauntlet and a galley. Will the galley stones work in the gauntlet for blades I don't want
to run at such a steep angle? I have a 12 inch knife that would be much easier to get a 40 degree edge on if so!
Thanks!

PS. The galley should be great for my kitchen knives! Of course, I have a sharpmaker for my folders as well as a nice
bench strop. I hope all is well with you Sal. Best wishes from Asheville, North Carolina!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cistercian,

We're well, hope all is well with you. 0 degrees here. should be in the minus numbers by morning. How's North Carolina, a great state.

The stones from the Gauntlet and Galley V are interchange-able. I've used the CBN stones in the Galley V.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Louis Graves invented the C sharpener concept. It's been used much in the past 40 years, but we really found it to be useful in many areas. Louis and I were friends and we would invent/design different sharpeners for each other. He was a really great man, I learned a lot from him.

As we developed the "V" sharpener concept, We designed the Galley V for commercial applications. Processing plants would put them at the end of the table where a long line of food processors were working. Blade is dragging a tad, go the end off the table, hit the sharpener a few licks and go back to work. Many reasons for disco'ing it back then. We decided that there was a need for such a V sharpener. We retooled at a narrower angle, partially to accommodate better steels and Murray Carter's new kitchen knife line (very nice).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr. Glesser I want to add that those "Cat's Eye" stones have a lot of versatility. When I got my first Dodo model way back around 2003 or 2004 I forget exactly which I found it to be really tricky to sharpen. And YES I did try the 204 Sharpmaker and had some success>> although I will add that I wasn't nearly as proficient with the Sharpmaker then as I've learned to be in the past 8 years or so.

But the extremely wicked edge I could put on that Dodo model with one of those "Cat's Eye" stones from my original GALLEY V kit was something impressive. It's unbelievable how nice of a short bladed EDC that Dodo model can be when it's super sharp. But I'm willing to bet that very few guys have learned how to get that blade scary sharp.

And I don't mean that as a "put down" at all. Because I played with that stone a lot before I got the hang of it. I'm just saying that those "Cat's Eye" stones should be looked at closer as a possible addition maybe for the 204 Sharpmaker or maybe a kit of their own.