C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:30 pm
I like my P4LW which is around 0.38. An increase to .4 or .41 sounds good. As long as it remains on the thinner side (< 0.5), it should be good. Thanks for taking the measurements.
Hey thanks for the quick input "P_atrick" :) . Just for the sake of conversation and as a comparison to one of the better known GOLDEN CO models I put the calipers to my M390 Military. Now first off do keep in mind that this M390 Military has been used as though it's been through a World War. I actually had Spyderco Warranty & Repair go ahead and re-construct it with new parts about 6 months ago. Well the thickness of the M390 Millie handle/scales measured out at .454 ( inch)>> I also measured another one of my C-36 Military models NIB at just .002 thinner. One other user C-36 Military model ( XHP) I have was also .454 as well.

But with that said I truly think that would be slightly too thick for the overall design of the C-60 Ayoob model in my humble opinion even though it works quite well for the C-36 Military. I truly think an ideal thickness measurement between .400 and .410 for the C-60 Ayoob would be ideal. I probably wouldn't go any thicker than .425 at the very thickest for the C-60 Ayoob model>> just in case they would have to go a little extra for proper balance and so forth. Just that small bit of nominal increase I do believe would improve the grip/purchase on that C-60 model really well>> especially if we are advancing to a "screw construction" ( which I very much want by the way ;) ) I hope the rest of you agree.

And most importantly I hope Mr. Glesser likes that size range.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mas,

Honored to have you here. JD has been harassing me about a remake of the C60. I'm easy, (that'ts what my wife says), JD is a valuable asset to this forum and I have no problem yielding. Also, Joyce carry's a C60 most of the time, and personally, I'd love to see a new version.

I must admit that I've learned quite a bit from you and it's an honor to be able to make your knife.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

What a legendary thread. Not only will this knife come back, but we even got to hear from the original designer. We all owe JD a huge THANX when we get our Ayoob folders!
:unicorn
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks JD!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:57 pm
What a legendary thread. Not only will this knife come back, but we even got to hear from the original designer. We all owe JD a huge THANX when we get our Ayoob folders!
Yep, very cool! For future reference when we want something in particular, we have to get JD on board!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

My jaws virtually dropped reading the past few exchanges here. Two legends in their respective fields taking their time to look at the ideas presented and actually listening to their fans. I have not seen the knife personally before but if ever Sal and Co. makes this, count me in as one of those in line to get an updated version.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

^^ Exactly!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is shaping up to be quite the comeback :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:04 pm
My jaws virtually dropped reading the past few exchanges here. Two legends in their respective fields taking their time to look at the ideas presented and actually listening to their fans. I have not seen the knife personally before but if ever Sal and Co. makes this, count me in as one of those in line to get an updated version.
After handling one I can say 100% the hype is justified. Regardless of the steel, thickness or edge type, this will be a pre-order for me.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:26 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:04 pm
After handling one I can say 100% the hype is justified. Regardless of the steel, thickness or edge type, this will be a pre-order for me.

Good to know! And I for one will be glad to support a community-inspired venture between the fans and Spyderco. Thank you JD, benben, and everyone who made this thread and brought in the makers and designers into the mix for another run through.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mas Ayoob wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 pm
Hi folks, Massad Ayoob here.

I'm delighted to see the enthusiasm for the C60.

Changes? I wouldn't care to see it thicker: the comfortable ride in pocket or waistband was one of its signature features.

I'm partial to G10.

As others have noted, I think we got the overall design and blade configuration right the first time.

Steel? I've been very happy with the VG-10 in every respect after carrying the C60 for about 18 years now and using it daily. However, Sal knows WAY more about blade steel than I do, and if he has a supersteel he thinks will work better, I'll defer to him.

I'm one of Sal's early "Clipiteers" who liked the speed of a momentum pinch-snap opening, and remain a big fan of tip-down carry for that reason. Wouldn't hurt if Sal came up with a design offering the choice, it was already set up for ambi and more choices for the user is good.

Plain edge, serrated edge, or a bit of each is entirely up to Sal. In the first production run, on my end the plain edge far outsold the serrated, but Sal of course has a better handle on sales nationwide than I do. Sal's call, of course.

I'm hoping the sprint run happens. Thanks to all who requested it from Sal!

Best,
Mas

Good heavens, I'm still in shock to see THE Massad Ayoob personally reply here. I'm really happy that he sees the appreciation for his work in these pages.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mas Ayoob wrote:

Changes? I wouldn't care to see it thicker: the comfortable ride in pocket or waistband was one of its signature features.

I'm partial to G10.

As others have noted, I think we got the overall design and blade configuration right the first time.

Steel? I've been very happy with the VG-10 in every respect after carrying the C60 for about 18 years now and using it daily. However, Sal knows WAY more about blade steel than I do, and if he has a supersteel he thinks will work better, I'll defer to him.

I'm one of Sal's early "Clipiteers" who liked the speed of a momentum pinch-snap opening, and remain a big fan of tip-down carry for that reason. Wouldn't hurt if Sal came up with a design offering the choice, it was already set up for ambi and more choices for the user is good.

Plain edge, serrated edge, or a bit of each is entirely up to Sal. In the first production run, on my end the plain edge far outsold the serrated, but Sal of course has a better handle on sales nationwide than I do. Sal's call, of course.

Best,
Mas
Thank you so much Mr. Ayoob for weighing in with your valuable input. About the only thing I sort differ with you on is that I personally would like to see the handle/scales just slightly thicker>> but it's your original brainchild and as long as it's a high grade of G-10 material I can certainly live with it. Even the original Almite/aluminum version was very ergonomic and easy to handle. I still love the latest 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60 and was disappointed that I couldn't get one in SE. The G-10 handle on that one was a huge improvement IMO.
It's one of the very few Spyderco models that I like just as much in SE as I do like it in PE and I can assure you I'm not alone there at all. Both edge types are absolutely awesome and extremely useful in that brilliant, ergonomic design.
I would also like to eventually see it with a supersteel blade of some sort. However I can live with another VG-10 because I've actually always been a long time fan of VG-10 blade steel. And VG-10 is great in SE IMO. But maybe a better blade steel is a project for down the road depending on how well this Sprint Run goes over.
Again it's great to have you here with your valuable input Sir and I hope this Sprint Run sells out in less than a month. My long term goal is to see a C-60 some day with a Carbon Fiber handle and a Crucible blade steel of some sort>> I would also like to see it go over so well that it makes it's way back to the main line up again too. But this proposed Sprint Run will make for a great start to see a great Spyderco model return again. Thanks a MILLION for taking your valuable time to chat with us and I do believe I speak for most all of us here :)

P. S.>> I hope at some point you'll find time to do another great folder design for Spyderco.
benben

Post by benben »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 pm
Mas Ayoob wrote:

I'm partial to G10.

Best,
Mas

Good heavens, I'm still in shock to see THE Massad Ayoob personally reply here. I'm really happy that he sees the appreciation for his work in these pages.
I agree! The day I found my C60 at a really small gun show, when I got home I went to the Glocktalk forum and started my "Look what I found today Mas!" thread. I was pretty shocked when he replied almost immediately! Good stuff!
benben

Post by benben »

I know we've all talked about having a little thicker, more palm filling G10 scales.....but one thing I have to agree with Mas on is just how comfortable it is carrying this knife in a front pocket.

How often can you carry a 8.625" OAL and 5" closed knife and hardly even notice it's in your pocket? I'd say not too often.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:18 am
I know we've all talked about having a little thicker, more palm filling G10 scales.....but one thing I have to agree with Mas on is just how comfortable it is carrying this knife in a front pocket.

How often can you carry a 8.625" OAL and 5" closed knife and hardly even notice it's in your pocket? I'd say not too often.
As ergonomic as Mr Ayoob's design is there just might be a reason for the original thickness of the scales. And like I said it's a minor thing considering we're getting a new Sprint Run. I hope this Sprint Run of the C-60 goes over so fast that it will end up being in the main line up again. It wouldn't be the first time an older model came back. The more I think about it if I had my pick of a slightly thicker handle or a better, upgraded blade steel>> I would take the better blade steel without hesitation.

BenBen thank you for all your key help. I can't hardly wait until the first unit comes out of the factory. And I do hope Massad Ayoob will consider designing another folder design at some point. I love his way of thinking. Everything in this knife design is all about function.

But hey folks don't quit on this thread just yet. I'm sure key suggestions will still be considered at this point.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Has the steel been settled on?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:56 am
Has the steel been settled on?
As far as I know I think it's going to be VG-10. However I'm not 100% certain of that. With all the unexpected activity and fanfare on the thread I believe most everything is still kind of up in the air at the time.

We will probably know something for certain within a week or so. Truthfully I care if both edge types are VG-10 because just getting the C-60 back again is great news for me.
sal

Post by sal »

This maker hasn't worked with a non Japanese steel. I'm open for discussion, but in my opinion, VG-10 is one of the best all around steels available in Japan.

I also agree with Mas that the "carry" time is much greater than the "using" time and his design is hardly noticed when carrying.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks, Sal!

I'm open to VG10 on this, I know screw construction is also being pursued.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am
This maker hasn't worked with a non Japanese steel. I'm open for discussion, but in my opinion, VG-10 is one of the best all around steels available in Japan.

I also agree with Mas that the "carry" time is much greater than the "using" time and his design is hardly noticed when carrying.

sal
Just out of curiosity how do you think that HAP 40 would fare with the C-60 model? But on the other hand would it be a good steel for Spyderedges? At least we know that VG-10 is decent in both edge types.

Also I guess some of those premium steels might make it too costly. Just kind of thinking out loud.

Actually I can live with VG-10 and I've always liked the steel as an every day user. Heck they could make the SE version in AUS-8 as far as I'm concerned because I like that steel in SE ( but not PE).

If VG-10 makes the project go more smoothly then there's no objection from me :)