C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JRinFL »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:36 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:21 pm
that all sounds great, but i thought sal already said in this thread that there were a lot of issues making this sprint happen and it wasn't likely to ever happen again.
Selective hearing (or reading) is real!

Reading between the lines of Sal's comments, it seems this project was just beyond the grasp of the current generation running the factory in Japan. It will take time and effort to get back to their former glory.
Make an Ayoobish Salt with negative blade angle and let the Salt factory be in charge?? Maybe a new design is the answer?
If Spyderco can get Ayoob to sign off on it, a LW Salt version in H2, or LC200N, or MC could work as a new design.It would be a new design in the LW configuration.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:28 am
Paging JD Spydo...and everyone else. Please check the deal I just posted for the plain edge ayoob. Not many left in stock and I hope you can get one if you want to before they are gone. These are not 2nd's... $151 shipped from white mountain knives. I just messaged you JD.

well... it sold out maybe 10 minutes after I posted it. They only had ~5 in stock. Works out to as cheap as the deal yesterday with shipping from that less known shop.
Hey thanks for the "heads up" because I want everyone who truly wants one of these Cruwear Ayoob models to be able to get one before they are completely sold out. I'm doubtful there will be any of them left after the holiday season is over. I'm truly surprised that any dealer is discounting this model as quickly as it seems to be selling. The Cruwear Ayoob is truly worth every penny and should be considered more of an investment than an expense. Even the older VG-10 versions were extremely durable and useful folders.

I sincerely thank you and Buddafucco and the other Brothers who are putting forth the information on availability of the Cruwear Ayoob models. It has really been strange where these models seem to show up at. JD
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThanks for your hard work making this Sprint happen . Respectfully MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:
that all sounds great, but i thought sal already said in this thread that there were a lot of issues making this sprint happen and it wasn't likely to ever happen again.

Reading between the lines of Sal's comments, it seems this project was just beyond the grasp of the current generation running the factory in Japan. It will take time and effort to get back to their former glory.
Make an Ayoobish Salt with negative blade angle and let the Salt factory be in charge?? Maybe a new design is the answer?
I truly wish Massad Ayoob himself would try and do another folder design. Because this C-60 folder design was truly a home run with the bases loaded at his first time at bat. The thought and engineering that went into this design was truly way ahead of it's time.

He also had a fixed blade design that was done by a company known as "MOD" ( Masters of Defense) and I believe it was called the "Razorback". I would still love to find one of those if there are any still in existence.

But the C-60 model was truly at least 20 years ahead of it's time. With that type of talent I do wish he would do another folder design at some point. Also another fixed blade too. I'm sure he has had more ideas develop in the past 20 years or so.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear vandelay:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

Indiana Knives has some PE for sale at $161: https://indianaknives.com/products/spyd ... plain-edge
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm
Indiana Knives has some PE for sale at $161: https://indianaknives.com/products/spyd ... plain-edge
That is so weird that the price seems to be trending downward>> in spite of all the good things that have been said about it. I just simply don't get that especially as fast as they have been selling up till now.

Well in about 3 months from now when there is no longer one to be found I bet the after market prices will catapult upward.

Also I do find it encouraging that not one person that bought one seems to be unhappy with their purchase. I'm almost certain that Spyderco pretty much has to view this Sprint Run as at least a modest success.
Matus

Post by Matus »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:38 am
That is so weird that the price seems to be trending downward>> in spite of all the good things that have been said about it. I just simply don't get that especially as fast as they have been selling up till now.
I am going to guess, that the way the community around the forum here is going to have different preferences and wishes ans the wider Spyderco customer base. Most people will not see (and possibly also not really have) the use for such a knife (it is not a general use knife really).

For me - it is the ripper. I have quickly dedicated it as a tool to get into packages, nasty hard plastic sealed packaging, slaying cardboard (a bit of concave-thinning would help though) and such. It is great for that.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Been carrying mine everyday since I got it. I noticed this morning that the clip was loose, and turns out I am missing one of the clip screws. Does anyone know where to order some replacements?
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:23 am
Been carrying mine everyday since I got it. I noticed this morning that the clip was loose, and turns out I am missing one of the clip screws. Does anyone know where to order some replacements?
i noticed they come loose easily. i don't know where to get them, but thanks for the reminder to break out the loctite.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:28 am
City Arsenal has the PlainEdge marked down to $138.93 + shipping... https://cityarsenal.com/product/spyderc ... s-c60gpgy/
Thank you, Buddafucco!

I was on the fence but couldn't pass up that deal. Glad I took the plunge. The Ayoob feels great in hand and the slimness makes it disappear in pocket.
- Richard
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:23 am
Try Spyderco.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I finally got my Cruwear Ayoob . I like it more than I thought I would. I never bought the original because it looked strange to me. I read about it over the years from guys like J.D. Spydo and some others. He generally likes much of the knives I do so I determined if a new one ever was released I'd try it out. It is built well and finished very nicely. The edge is very well done and IMO better than the older Seki models. The fact is I'm a Cruwear person too and that is the cherry on the top for me. I'd still like it even if it wasn't though.

Joe, Thanks for pushing to get this one made. I'm fortunate you did because I have a knife that meets all my requirements for daily use. Thanks Sal and Eric for getting this one done as well. I'm very grateful to all of you.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:02 am
I finally got my Cruwear Ayoob . I like it more than I thought I would. I never bought the original because it looked strange to me. I read about it over the years from guys like J.D. Spydo and some others. He generally likes much of the knives I do so I determined if a new one ever was released I'd try it out. It is built well and finished very nicely. The edge is very well done and IMO better than the older Seki models. The fact is I'm a Cruwear person too and that is the cherry on the top for me. I'd still like it even if it wasn't though.

Joe, Thanks for pushing to get this one made. I'm fortunate you did because I have a knife that meets all my requirements for daily use. Thanks Sal and Eric for getting this one done as well. I'm very grateful to all of you.

Joe
You're not kidding this new Cruwear Ayoob is head & shoulders better than the previous models. Even though I do have a fondness for the 2011, G-10 version. But they never made that one in SE which really disappointed me at the time. That's why when I started the campaign drive to get this model again I made darn sure that we wanted the PE & SE versions both.

It's one of the few Spyderco models that I truly like the SE version just as much as I do the PE. Both of them are ergonomic excellency. And the selection of Cruwear for the blade on this model was near perfect. I've concluded that the Cruwear blade steel works great on SE models. I'm also glad that so many of the newer guys and gals who never had a chance to get this C-60 Ayoob model finally got to see just how great of a design it is. I'm truly glad that most of you like it as much as I do.

I've been EDCing the SE unit this week and it's mind blowing how well that serration pattern on that C-60 model works. We certainly owe Sal & Co a huge THANK YOU! This Sprint Run has truly been a super success. I hope Spyderco feels the same way.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I had a realisation today that the shape of the ayoob reminds me of a flintlock pistol with a bayonet. It's got the same banana grip and thin blade.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vandelay wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:07 pm
I had a realisation today that the shape of the ayoob reminds me of a flintlock pistol with a bayonet. It's got the same banana grip and thin blade.
That's an interesting observation. Because at one time years ago when the knife magazines wrote about the C-60 Ayoob model in one article they asked Massad Ayoob himself how he came up with that design. He said that he wanted a knife which would feel like he's holding a handgun. Now that's not the exact quote but I do distinctly remember him making a statement to that effect.

That's just another aspect of the ergonomic genius that went into that design. And truly it was a design truly ahead of it's time. I think it was either in "BLADE" or the now defunct "Tactical Knives" magazine where I read that.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:02 am
twinboysdad wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

I truly wish Massad Ayoob himself would try and do another folder design. Because this C-60 folder design was truly a home run with the bases loaded at his first time at bat. The thought and engineering that went into this design was truly way ahead of it's time.

He also had a fixed blade design that was done by a company known as "MOD" ( Masters of Defense) and I believe it was called the "Razorback". I would still love to find one of those if there are any still in existence.

But the C-60 model was truly at least 20 years ahead of it's time. With that type of talent I do wish he would do another folder design at some point. Also another fixed blade too. I'm sure he has had more ideas develop in the past 20 years or so.
Did yours have gritty deployment as well? Looks like the liners are milled and contoured in a washer shape at the pivot in I wonder if the knife is running on them instead of washers, if that is the case I can see how any deviation in milling precision would affect the performance heavily.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Mines incredibly smooth to open and close; the only Spyderco lockback I had that was this smooth was the original Gen 1 Manix.

I suggest blowing yours out with compressed air, and then a spray of Hornady One Shot dry lube if it feels gritty.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

In terms of the Ayoob design, I came across this fixed blade today, reminded me a lot of the Ayoob:

https://variantone.com/products/archangel

The designer notes that the angled grip helps make the knife more concealable and comfortable, especially when carried AIWB like a pistol.

I'm now tempted to have a Kydex sheath made for my Ayoob, for using the knife as a fixed blade, to see how it performs.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:54 am
Mines incredibly smooth to open and close; the only Spyderco lockback I had that was this smooth was the original Gen 1 Manix.

I suggest blowing yours out with compressed air, and then a spray of Hornady One Shot dry lube if it feels gritty.
After I put some Tsubaki oil in the pivot, broke it in, then tightened the pivot it improved and is drop shut now. I can see why there are so expensive, the liners are milled instead of cut from a sheet of metal. (That and setting up the tooling for the sprint run)

It’s an interesting knife, feels good in the hand.