C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:25 am
confucius wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:09 am
If only the SE didn’t have the snaggletooth....
It does sort of break my heart that this may be the final time we get a new edition of this really well designed classic.
I'm still amazed and delighted we got this second sprint run.

That we did is a testament to your relentless cheerleading for the C60, and Sals generosity in giving us another run.
Personally I think the C-60 Ayoob would be a great model for Spyderco to use in order to test all these new, exotic super blade steels with as they are released. Kind of like they've done with the C-36 Military and PM2 models. Having this C-60 in Cruwear has really spoiled me immensely. I haven't carried my G-10 handled, VG-10 Sprint Run in over 2 months now. What the heck??>>> Why have meatloaf when you can have a rib-eye???????

Well like the titles says I'm sure not going to SHUT UP in the future if the subject were to ever arise again. Actually I'll make it a point to bring it up again when I feel the time is right. And thank you for your contributions too Brother.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:13 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:29 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:25 am
confucius wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:09 am
If only the SE didn’t have the snaggletooth....
It does sort of break my heart that this may be the final time we get a new edition of this really well designed classic.
I'm still amazed and delighted we got this second sprint run.

That we did is a testament to your relentless cheerleading for the C60, and Sals generosity in giving us another run.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
I haven't carried my G-10 handled, VG-10 Sprint Run in over 2 months now.

Do you miss the hollow grind? Never had a hollow-ground Spydie before. Was hoping the Ayoob would be my first. Still a great knife regardless. Just curious if the grind has any effect on your preference.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:07 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 pm
I'm on my 4th sharpening/touch up my SE. It's touched up beautifully with a few sets of 3:1 passes on the Gauntlet.

I think this is both a function of the Cruwear, but also the wider/shallower SE pattern 'flowing' across the stones really well. It almost feels like a PE blade; not as 'bouncy' like some of the SE I've sharpened before.
I guess I'm going to have to break down and get one of those Spyderco "GAUNTLET" sharpening kits. Because you're the second person in the past two weeks that has liked that kit for full SE blades. Just to look at pics it doesn't seem like it would have big advantages over the 204 Sharpmaker.

But will all that said I've never bought a sharpening tool from Spyderco that I regretted buying so I'll take the plunge in the next two weeks. I'm kind of surprised that there are not more sharpeners for full SE blades on the market by now.
I dont think the Gauntlet necessarily is better for SE blades, but is really fantastic for PE blades and getting the PE portion of the Ayoob really sharp.

The curved body really engages well, and helps get a perfectly sharpened very tip of the blade.

I much prefer the elliptical stone of the Gauntlet to the triangle stone of the Sharpmaker. However the SM has the much better base; the Gauntlet base is pretty silly. But the stones are magic.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:54 am
JD Spydo wrote:
I haven't carried my G-10 handled, VG-10 Sprint Run in over 2 months now.

Do you miss the hollow grind? Never had a hollow-ground Spydie before. Was hoping the Ayoob would be my first. Still a great knife regardless. Just curious if the grind has any effect on your preference.
That's an interesting question. To be honest I can't tell hardly any difference performance wise with either the PE or SE. I love the better grip of this newer type of G-10 on the Cruwear model; yeah even better than the previous 2011, G-10 Sprint Run.

The 2011, G-10 Sprint Run was even a huge improvement over the original Almite/aluminum handle on the original C-60. But this newer G-10 handle material gives me a lot of confidence. This newer/better Cruwear Sprint Run is easily by far the best of all of them IMO. Handle grip is a particularly big thing for me and the Cruwear blade steel has proven to be an excellent selection.

Also the newer serration pattern on this Cruwear Ayoob is a superb performer overall. This serrated model is head and shoulders over the original 2002 model. It's really not even close.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:55 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:07 pm
mark greenman wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:33 pm
I'm on my 4th sharpening/touch up my SE. It's touched up beautifully with a few sets of 3:1 passes on the Gauntlet.

I think this is both a function of the Cruwear, but also the wider/shallower SE pattern 'flowing' across the stones really well. It almost feels like a PE blade; not as 'bouncy' like some of the SE I've sharpened before.
I guess I'm going to have to break down and get one of those Spyderco "GAUNTLET" sharpening kits. Because you're the second person in the past two weeks that has liked that kit for full SE blades. Just to look at pics it doesn't seem like it would have big advantages over the 204 Sharpmaker.

But will all that said I've never bought a sharpening tool from Spyderco that I regretted buying so I'll take the plunge in the next two weeks. I'm kind of surprised that there are not more sharpeners for full SE blades on the market by now.
I dont think the Gauntlet necessarily is better for SE blades, but is really fantastic for PE blades and getting the PE portion of the Ayoob really sharp.

The curved body really engages well, and helps get a perfectly sharpened very tip of the blade.

I much prefer the elliptical stone of the Gauntlet to the triangle stone of the Sharpmaker. However the SM has the much better base; the Gauntlet base is pretty silly. But the stones are magic.
Yeah I know exactly what you're saying in regards to the shape of the stones. I still occasionally use my old, original GALLEY V sharpening kit which has those "cat's eye" stones. With my Dodo models I find it to be the best sharpening kit of them all. And you've still got the corners on those stones for serrated blades.

Yes I also find the base on the 204 Sharpmaker to be very easy to clamp down with some "Vise-Grip" welding clamps or any other viable clamp for that matter. That way you have both hands free for sharpening. Just looking at the pic of the Gauntlet; it sure doesn't look as good for clamping.

But you bring up an excellent point with those eliptical/ cat's eye stones that are used on both of those sharpening systems. It is sure something that Spyderco needs to look at for future sharpening kits. Because for Reverse S and recurve blades those Cat's Eye stones do have their distinct advantages.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Just got mine!

I never thought I'd be interested in this kind of knife. It was just a year or two ago that I was telling myself I only liked small knives. Well that has obviously changed!
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

Oops moved :woozy
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

brancron wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:51 pm
Just got mine!

I never thought I'd be interested in this kind of knife. It was just a year or two ago that I was telling myself I only liked small knives. Well that has obviously changed!
I can't tell you guys how good it feels that so many of you have checked out this past great model. I do hope that everyone here who wants one does find a way to get one.

Yeah it truly is a model that grows on you the more you use it and carry it. It's not your typical Buck 110 or stag handled Ka-Bar that many of us grew up with. Mr. Massad Ayoob was truly ahead of his time when he came up with this brilliant design.

It really does grow on you. And it's so useful for so many applications.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Spydo-man, Spydo-man,
Does whatever a Spydo can..
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

Got a backup SE and it doesnt have the snaggletooth! Not that it bothers me really, but my sample of 1 indicates maybe the later grinds had this 'issue' fixed. It shall remain a safe queen (my only one) until my primary SE Ayoob dies, is lost, or stolen.

Also I randomly clicked on a couple links from a few pages back. PE still available for normal retail here
https://pureblades.com/massad-ayoob-spr ... o-c60gpgy/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:29 pm
Got a backup SE and it doesnt have the snaggletooth! Not that it bothers me really, but my sample of 1 indicates maybe the later grinds had this 'issue' fixed. It shall remain a safe queen (my only one) until my primary SE Ayoob dies, is lost, or stolen.

Also I randomly clicked on a couple links from a few pages back. PE still available for normal retail here
Yeah I was using my SE C-60 unit today on a couple of minor jobs. And the absolute joy of using such a superbly designed folder is just really cool.

I do hope that the demand for the Cruwear C-60 Ayoob increases to the point to where Mr. Glesser might reconsider his decision. This Cruwear Ayoob in both edge types is a knife lover's dream blade. Again the Cruwear blade is superb on this C-60 model in both edge types ( SE & PE). Well we are certainly hearing a lot of great testimonies on the new C-60.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

OK JD this is your fault, (just kidding). I have had the ayoob serrated since September, it has not left my pocket since. My usual rotation was stopped, it tossed my manix 2 m390 blk, wahu , rhino, and manix lw 110 out of my pockets.
It does everything well enough, that the shine is gone from my wahu, it slices tomatoes well, shaves and push cuts paper with the serrations . I've used to quarter and debone 2 deer this year.
Hopefully I can aquire the plain edge ayoob, and at 65 yrs old my knife needs will be served. So thanks JD and Sal for making this run come thru.
It truly needs to be marketed as a all purpose heavy use edc.

Frederick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:42 pm
OK JD this is your fault, (just kidding). I have had the ayoob serrated since September, it has not left my pocket since. My usual rotation was stopped, it tossed my manix 2 m390 blk, wahu , rhino, and manix lw 110 out of my pockets.
It does everything well enough, that the shine is gone from my wahu, it slices tomatoes well, shaves and push cuts paper with the serrations . I've used to quarter and debone 2 deer this year.
It truly needs to be marketed as a all purpose heavy use edc.
That's what I discovered shortly after getting my first C-60 Ayoob all the way back to 2002 when they were first on the main line up. And I liked the full SE as much as I did the full PE version both for EDC chores.

The Ayoob model truly grows on you as time goes by. I carried my full PE Cruwear Ayoob today in place of my M390 Military model. So far I've been able to do anything with the C-60 that I've been able to do with any of my Military or Para2 models. And that's saying a lot because those are great blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ovgcguy wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:29 pm

If there are any factory seconds or any "scratch & dent" versions of the full SE, C-60 Cruwear Ayoob I don't care what they look like as far as being "letter perfect" or not>> I'll take another serrated model if the price is right because that knife is so functional and useful with the newer serration pattern that they have on this Cruwear version. Because even if there are a couple of scallops or spikes that look just a bit inconsistent I don't care as long as the blade is functional and useable.

I do believe that this Sprint Run has at least been a modest success. I do hope that this will not be the end of the C-60 Ayoob model. Because there has been a revival of intense interest in this great model and I hope it continues to maintain a healthy fanfare.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Just got mine in the mail today. I did not expect it to fit in the pocket better than my Chief! I am definitely all in for a future Ayoob.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:01 pm
Just got mine in the mail today. I did not expect it to fit in the pocket better than my Chief! I am definitely all in for a future Ayoob.
Yes indeed I do believe the overall consensus is to plan for another version of this great C-60 model. If only Sal & Company realized just how much us fans of the C-60 Ayoob really love that design overall. It's truly one model I could EDC from here on out and be relatively satisfied. For them to do one every two years or so with newer blade steels and maybe even different handle materials would be awesome.

I do ultimately hope that Mr. Glesser will eventually see it our way. This design was truly way ahead of it's time when first released. I think it's safe to say that the C-60 Ayoob is much more appreciated now than it was in the beginning. And I do believe that the C-60 has far more fans than it even did in the past. Truly this Cruwear edition of the C-60 Ayoob was literally a "Dream Come True Folder".
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if i could get a se ayoob salt in any of the (now 4?) salt steels, i'd probably sell my cruwear version and never look back. i prefer the ayoob in se and i prefer my se knives to be salts because i typically carry them as backup/emergency/sd knives iwb. it's been a little tough to figure out how to fit this cruwear ayoob into my rotation because of that, even though i think the knife is great. a salt would solve the issue for me nicely. also, i guess i should make the case again that sd knives should be salts because the only way you can always have it ready in the same place, regardless of what you're wearing, is in your waistband. that kind of consistency is important in moments where your life might depend on your reaction time.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:14 am
if i could get a se ayoob salt in any of the (now 4?) salt steels, i'd probably sell my cruwear version and never look back. i prefer the ayoob in se and i prefer my se knives to be salts because i typically carry them as backup/emergency/sd knives iwb. it's been a little tough to figure out how to fit this cruwear ayoob into my rotation because of that, even though i think the knife is great. a salt would solve the issue for me nicely. also, i guess i should make the case again that sd knives should be salts because the only way you can always have it ready in the same place, regardless of what you're wearing, is in your waistband. that kind of consistency is important in moments where your life might depend on your reaction time.
I'd be in for a serrated FRN Ayoob, in any one of the Salt steels!
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

benben wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:23 am
I'd be in for a serrated FRN Ayoob, in any one of the Salt steels!
x2. Let this be the new rallying call.

FRN Ayoob in Magnacut anyone?