C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by VooDooChild »

Abyss_Fish wrote: ooh I've just looked it up and now I want one. This desperately needs modern update, 20cv and a comp lock perhaps? Comon sal!
Im fine with a steel change, but keep the design the same. Large, no choil, backlock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote: ooh I've just looked it up and now I want one. This desperately needs modern update, 20cv and a comp lock perhaps? Comon sal!
Im fine with a steel change, but keep the design the same. Large, no choil, backlock.
Long as it can be carried tip up then backlock is fine lol.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VooDooChild wrote:
I'm usually a proponent of the compression lock. But, on this one, I'm going to have to agree.

I prefer it as a backlock and really there isn't anything I'd change(aside from the Almite scales).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’m a big fan of Mas Ayoob’s articles and books, so I’d probably be in for one.

I’m curious if someone who has both knives has any comments comparing the Ayoob to Keating’s Chinook model?

I was considering that model as a possible substitute which is currently available.
benben

Post by benben »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:28 am
I’m a big fan of Mas Ayoob’s articles and books, so I’d probably be in
9C03EEE4-75B1-48A7-94C9-4834D1F99ECF.jpeg
61AF129E-0DDB-49CC-B2D4-53D26F492E99.jpeg
for one.

I’m curious if someone who has both knives has any comments comparing the Ayoob to Keating’s Chinook model?

I was considering that model as a possible substitute which is currently available.
I have a Chinook 3, besides them both being backlocks, and knives, they feel nothing alike to me. The Chinook feels like it could cut the Ayoob in half!
Last edited by benben on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
benben

Post by benben »

FB845076-5FB0-44F8-A5CF-8B309203DB77.jpeg
Hey JD, since you’re the Commander in Chief of this Ayoob plea......here’s my latest request please! ;)

Since handling my Chinook this morning I forgot how much I like the Dino jimping and how great it looks!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
The more I'm thinking about it the more I think I would be content with a model similar to the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60. The addition of the G-10 handle very much improved what was already a really nice knife design.

But with the two previous Ayoob models having VG-10 I just believe that a new blade steel is in order>> Now I could live with a serrated version in VG-10. Because VG-10 is still one of my favorite blade steels for Spyderedges. But for the plain edge version it would just make good marketing sense to upgrade to a newer/better blade steel. I'm still wide open as to which blade steel they might choose to use.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Any steel, any edge would be fine with me. I'd even get a loan! I'm a big fan of Ayoob and how writing. I'm actually surprised this model was ever discontinued.
I really like the Japanese Spyderco knives. The quality is second to none.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

benben wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:10 am
I have a Chinook 3, besides them both being backlocks, and knives, they feel nothing alike to me. The Chinook feels like it could cut the Ayoob in half!
Very cool, thanks for that, Benben.

Sometimes it’s hard to get the sense of a knife when all you have is the side profile catalogue pics.

That Chinook is a robust looking knife.

Have you ever tried out the Ayoob for EDC type tasks, or is it reserved solely for its SD purpose?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VooDooChild wrote:
Yes. Keep the same design.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If it's made in Japan, what about K390?
benben

Post by benben »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 am
benben wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:10 am
Very cool, thanks for that, Benben.

Sometimes it’s hard to get the sense of a knife when all you have is the side profile catalogue pics.

That Chinook is a robust looking knife.

Have you ever tried out the Ayoob for EDC type tasks, or is it reserved solely for its SD purpose?
I just got it, haven't actually carried it once yet! Yeah.....I know! :rolleyes:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The knife is primarily designed as a self-defense knife, so keep that in mind when suggesting steels and handles for a possible sprint. VG-10 is just about perfect for the model, and that's coming from someone who is not a fan of VG-10. LC200N might be better yet, but I do not think the Japanese plants are using that yet, if ever. Any changes from G-10 & VG-10 will cause it to cost more and take longer to get to market. The engineering and product testing are already done for that combo, so that makes it more likely to get the green light.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:55 am
If it's made in Japan, what about K390?
I wouldn't object to that selection at all. I was even thinking earlier if that HAP-40 might be a possibility? Not sure how it would fare in SE.

OH if we can get a green light we can certainly come to a consensus on a blade steel I'm sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 am
The knife is primarily designed as a self-defense knife, so keep that in mind when suggesting steels and handles for a possible sprint. VG-10 is just about perfect for the model, and that's coming from someone who is not a fan of VG-10. LC200N might be better yet, but I do not think the Japanese plants are using that yet, if ever. Any changes from G-10 & VG-10 will cause it to cost more and take longer to get to market. The engineering and product testing are already done for that combo, so that makes it more likely to get the green light.
If I had to pick between those two I would go with LC200N. It seems to be a steel rather decent on plain edges and SE both. There are a few people here wanting that steel anyway.

I kind of take issue with the C-60 Ayoob model being strictly and only a self defense knife>> Oh it has a lot of features that make it an ideal SD knife but it also has a lot of features that make it an ideal EDC knife as well. Let's don't lose sight of that.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 am
I kind of take issue with the C-60 Ayoob model being strictly and only a self defense knife>> Oh it has a lot of features that make it an ideal SD knife but it also has a lot of features that make it an ideal EDC knife as well. Let's don't lose sight of that.
JD, would you mind explaining more about those features you mentioned which make the Ayoob a useful EDC knife as well? I’m interested in hearing more about that aspect of the knife. Thanks. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am
JD Spydo wrote:
JD, would you mind explaining more about those features you mentioned which make the Ayoob a useful EDC knife as well? I’m interested in hearing more about that aspect of the knife. Thanks. :)
Oh sure thing :) First off the slender, elongated design makes for very versatile work in tight places. Second the hollow grind actually makes kind of ideal for an outdoor/skinning type knife. I even sold one to a guy I was working with back in 2012 and he wanted a hunter-folder at the time. I tried to find him an Impala model that he wanted but couldn't find one. He has field dressed a few deer and took it fishing with him on occasions and he really loves it. And he has no desire to use it as a self defense knife I can assure you. Well he's been using his C-60 as a hunter folder and as a general work knife for years and he loves it. I could also give you my personal testimony of times I've used that model on various jobs but I really don't even know where to start because there are so many jobs I used mine on over the years.

The ergonomic design just makes it far easier to work with over many standard designs. Recently I did some meat cutting with one of mine and the control I had using that knife was excellent. I could go on and on but I think you kind of get the drift don't you ;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 am
Oh sure thing :) First off the slender, elongated design makes for very versatile work in tight places. Second the hollow grind actually makes kind of ideal for an outdoor/skinning type knife. I even sold one to a guy I was working with back in 2012 and he wanted a hunter-folder at the time. I tried to find him an Impala model that he wanted but couldn't find one. He has field dressed a few deer and took it fishing with him on occasions and he really loves it. And he has no desire to use it as a self defense knife I can assure you. Well he's been using his C-60 as a hunter folder and as a general work knife for years and he loves it. I could also give you my personal testimony of times I've used that model on various jobs but I really don't even know where to start because there are so many jobs I used mine on over the years.

The ergonomic design just makes it far easier to work with over many standard designs. Recently I did some meat cutting with one of mine and the control I had using that knife was excellent. I could go on and on but I think you kind of get the drift don't you ;)
Thanks for the excellent detail, JD. :)

That’s very interesting, I had no idea the Ayoob would function so well as a game and fish and general work knife.

Hearing about this versatility, makes the Ayoob sound even more intriguing to me.
Last edited by Cambertree on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 am

Thanks for the excellent detail, JD. :)

That’s very interesting, I had no idea the Ayoob would function so well as a game and fish and general work knife.

Hearing about this versatility, makes the Atoob sound even more intriguing to me.
It and the Ulize are also the best sandwich cutters in the folding world. Truly an underrated feature! :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 am
If I had to pick between those two I would go with LC200N. It seems to be a steel rather decent on plain edges and SE both. There are a few people here wanting that steel anyway.

Well, for accuracy, I said it is primarily designed as a self-defense knife. Any knife can be used outside of its primary design, much like a sword can be used to cut wheat or dig holes. However, there are much better options for those tasks. There are reasons why the Para 2 will always out sell any version of C60. Saying that does not mean I'm disparaging the design or doubting your other uses for the C60.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001