C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Evil D »

SpyderLine wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:14 am
I'm super excited for the upcoming sprint run! This knife has intrigued me since I first saw one, but I've never handled one or seen one in person. I found a BNIB 2011 Sprint run for sale. What would the value of this knife be? Are there any ideas on a rough time frame for the release of the upcoming sprint run? Thanks!

I can't much help on value, I have a hard time paying what people want for these knives because I intend to use them so paying anything north of MSRP is not realistic for me. Unfortunately the timeframe probably was going to be slow from the start but now Covid and such has surely thrown a wrench into those already slow moving gears. I don't believe anything official has been mentioned about it though. I think we're all in the "let's just be patient and be happy it's happening at all" mindset.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i really hope this knife comes out in with a reasonable price point for the materials used. i REALLY want one, but i have no problem passing if it isn't priced on par with other models. also, i wish it would be a production model again. i missed out on knives like this and the dodo when i was off edc'ing a sog flash ii for years like a total newb.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 am
I'm constantly fascinated with how people see beauty. I admit that this knife definitely looked strange to me but there was a turning point when I understand why it looks how it does and then it started looking way better to me. There are some very popular knives by other brands that I always scratch my head at because I just don't see the appeal at all so beautiful is always subjective.
The old adage "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder" is so true no matter what facet of life you might be talking about. But a functional design has a beauty all it's own from my perspective.

And who says that virtually everyone in the world of knives has to be confined to only liking conventional knife designs??? Who makes up rules like that anyway?? I've heard so many people over the years refer to so many different Spyderco models being "ugly" that I just don't pay hardly any attention to them at all.

Spyderco's knives are designed for "function over aesthetics" and I totally agree with them. I discovered, realized and fully accepted that fact from day one. It's also the same with women, clothing, cars and fine art>> what some people call beautiful others call them ugly and hideous. I don't care what others think as long as I like it.

BOTTOM LINE: The Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model is a "functional masterpiece".
Monty

Post by Monty »

Rp5 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:57 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 am
Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:50 pm
Still excited for this one, although I keep getting distracted with other new-to-me knives. It will be interesting to try this in a tip up carry. The curve of the knife really suited the original tip down. I hate to say it but I hope the price is just high enough to discourage recreational flippers. I wanta serrated model but I do refuse to pay the scumbags haunting the drops of late.
Well I really like your take on having the price high enough where only the more dedicated fans will be pulling the trigger on this one when it hits the dealer's shelves. Yeah I hate to think of someone getting this C-60 just to flick while watching a movie or football game. But each to his own I suppose.

However I've got two guys that I've hunted with over the years that I've gotten them interested to snag one of these C-60 Sprint Runs as a Hunter-Folder. This won't be the first time I've sold someone on the C-60 as a hunter-folder either.

I've said this so many times. This is one of the few Spyderco models that I love just as much in SE as I do in PE.
I think he meant flippers as in people that buy sprint runs just to resell them at a higher price. Like house flipping.
Haha yes, the flippers buying sprints just to put them on eBay, those guys can take a hike.

I've no issue with collectors providing room and board to knives for year's then parting with them, these are the gems I'm always appreciative of when searching for a discontinued model to add to the collection. Right now that search is for a nishijin dragonfly, if I could only find worn out ones because they were ALL carried and used I'd be disappointed for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Monty wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:28 am
Rp5 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Monty wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:50 pm
Still excited for this one, although I keep getting distracted with other new-to-me knives. It will be interesting to try this in a tip up carry. The curve of the knife really suited the original tip down. I hate to say it but I hope the price is just high enough to discourage recreational flippers. I wanta serrated model but I do refuse to pay the scumbags haunting the drops of late.
Well I really like your take on having the price high enough where only the more dedicated fans will be pulling the trigger on this one when it hits the dealer's shelves. Yeah I hate to think of someone getting this C-60 just to flick while watching a movie or football game. But each to his own I suppose.

However I've got two guys that I've hunted with over the years that I've gotten them interested to snag one of these C-60 Sprint Runs as a Hunter-Folder. This won't be the first time I've sold someone on the C-60 as a hunter-folder either.

I've said this so many times. This is one of the few Spyderco models that I love just as much in SE as I do in PE.
I think he meant flippers as in people that buy sprint runs just to resell them at a higher price. Like house flipping.
Haha yes, the flippers buying sprints just to put them on eBay, those guys can take a hike.

I've no issue with collectors providing room and board to knives for year's then parting with them, these are the gems I'm always appreciative of when searching for a discontinued model to add to the collection. Right now that search is for a nishijin dragonfly, if I could only find worn out ones because they were ALL carried and used I'd be disappointed for sure.
All of that is interesting in many respects. Because I've often wondered how many of these Spyderco knives become so rare in the first place. It is as though some people throw away these knives after they are done using them. Take the original Spyderhawk released in 2003 with a VG-10 blade. I remember back around 2004 to 2006 you could buy those all day long on Ebay and other vendors. But now here in 2021 I think you would be hard pressed to find any Spyderhawk, VG-10 original new or used.

My point being; "What happens to all of those knives that used to be plentiful on the secondary markets"? Oh sure a few of them are lost, stolen or maybe dropped overboard on a fishing trip. But there should be at least 75% of all those original models either in collections or still owned by the guy who bought it.

For instance try finding a serrated/Spyderedge version of the first run, 2002 release of the C-60 Ayoob model. Good Luck is all I can tell a person. Other than fellow forum members I wouldn't even know where to look. It's like all of the Spyderco models disappear from planet earth in a relatively short period of time. But where do they go?
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:22 am
Monty wrote:
Rp5 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

All of that is interesting in many respects. Because I've often wondered how many of these Spyderco knives become so rare in the first place. It is as though some people throw away these knives after they are done using them. Take the original Spyderhawk released in 2003 with a VG-10 blade. I remember back around 2004 to 2006 you could buy those all day long on Ebay and other vendors. But now here in 2021 I think you would be hard pressed to find any Spyderhawk, VG-10 original new or used.

My point being; "What happens to all of those knives that used to be plentiful on the secondary markets"? Oh sure a few of them are lost, stolen or maybe dropped overboard on a fishing trip. But there should be at least 75% of all those original models either in collections or still owned by the guy who bought it.

For instance try finding a serrated/Spyderedge version of the first run, 2002 release of the C-60 Ayoob model. Good Luck is all I can tell a person. Other than fellow forum members I wouldn't even know where to look. It's like all of the Spyderco models disappear from planet earth in a relatively short period of time. But where do they go?

Joe,

I’m sure there are a lot of knife hoarders out there, who buy up several of a given model and put them away, thinking that one day they will become rich when the knives they hoarded are considered extremely rare. Then they’ll offer to sell them at ridiculously inflated prices. However, even if they can do that, nobody will get enough money from selling knives to retire on. I certainly wouldn’t buy a knife from a flipper, regardless of which model it is.

I bit OT but similarly, when I was a kid, I was an avid Marvel Comics collector. When Howard the Duck #1 premiered in 1976, copies of that issue never even made it to many dealers around the country, because dealers and collectors who did get them hoarded them all up before they hit the stands. Later, it turned out that all that hoarding did no good, because that issue never became the high-value collector’s item many thought it was going be.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:24 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:22 am
Monty wrote:
Rp5 wrote:

Joe,

I’m sure there are a lot of knife hoarders out there, who buy up several of a given model and put them away, thinking that one day they will become rich when the knives they hoarded are considered extremely rare. Then they’ll offer to sell them at ridiculously inflated prices. However, even if they can do that, nobody will get enough money from selling knives to retire on. I certainly wouldn’t buy a knife from a flipper, regardless of which model it is.

I bit OT but similarly, when I was a kid, I was an avid Marvel Comics collector. When Howard the Duck #1 premiered in 1976, copies of that issue never even made it to many dealers around the country, because dealers and collectors who did get them hoarded them all up before they hit the stands. Later, it turned out that all that hoarding did no good, because that issue never became the high-value collector’s item many thought it was going be.

Jim
Jim I think your input that you just shared with us is definitely valid. I'm sure there are probably dozens of examples of collectors and investors that do exactly what you just stated. However my claim goes deeper than that. Now when you take a unique and somewhat rare model like the C-60 Ayoob which has had low manufacture numbers from both of the runs and I'm including the 2002 introduction and the one 2011 Sprint Run. That model is probably in the top 10 and conceivably even in the top 5 of the most rare of all the Spyderco models since the company's inception. They just didn't make many of those compared to the flagship models.

But what I'm referring to covers a lot more than just unique models with low numbers of manufacture. I can't even find any of the AUS-8 models that sold hundreds of units like the older RESCUE, Police, Endura compared to the amount of C-60 Ayoob models that were made. Try finding some of the older POLICE or even Endura models in any of the older blade steels like AUS-8, ATS-55, ATS-34 or even GIN-1 units. All of those units sold far more units than the C-60 ever did. But yet they are about as tough to find as any of the C-60 Ayoob models. Just as an example try to run down any of the ATS-34 or ATS-55 Spyderco models. And there were models made with those blade steels that sold hundreds of units compared to the C-60 Ayoob model>> but in spite of the amount of units they made I bet finding any of the past ATS-34 models would be like finding 60 year old comic books.

So where did all of the really popular, older Spyderco models go? Because many I mentioned are just as tough to find at this time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

People use things and throw them away or lose them. Knife AFIs are a very small part of the market. When something is readily available and you purchase it to use it you might not stop to think about it being a collectible later. I surely don't look at a hammer and say "maybe I should baby this thing it'll be valuable later." Sure I like my estwing hammer but I still hit whatever I have to with it. If it ever broke I'd just buy another. I don't belong to a hammer forum though so I'm not a hammer AFI.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’s also possible that when they’re used up, or if/when someone upgrades, those older knives are simply tossed into a drawer, or wherever.

I have several Spydercos in ATS-55, AUS-8, and at least one in ATS-34 that I keep in a drawer and they rarely see the light of day, and they’re still perfectly fine. I don’t get rid of my knives, and I’ve never sold any.

Jim
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have an ATS-55 Endura that I still use. I rarely sell knives as well.

Most likely it will turn up in a garage sale that my kids will organize after I have passed away.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:02 pm
I have an ATS-55 Endura that I still use. I rarely sell knives as well.

Most likely it will turn up in a garage sale that my kids will organize after I have passed away.
I think this is probably the most likely. Of course there's some turnover in the first couple years after an exclusive run - people that bought to resell, didn't like it as much as they thought, or like it but it's not their favorite and they find a new flavor of the month to chase so sell old stuff to fund it. Some of those knife_swap people also resell after buying, continuing the availability train for a while. After a couple years though, I imagine 80% of supply is sitting in people's knife collections. People that like the model, want to keep it forever (used or unused), and just own one. I also imagine it probably sits in their collection until they die, at which point grandson Billy inherits grandpa's old knife collection, who doesn't look at it as the ATS-55 Endura, but grandpa's old knife.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

This Ayoob campaign of yours JD is probably the only reason I’m still popping in here. If there’s an an SE sprint I’ll get behind it… and the Ayoob is a no brainer. I was pissy about the last Ayoob sprint being PE, but hey I don’t think I had any cash at the time anyway.

I’m looking forward to seeing what we end up with. Hopefully the collectors will buy up the PE’s and leave the SE to those who need them!

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:40 am
This Ayoob campaign of yours JD is probably the only reason I’m still popping in here. If there’s an an SE sprint I’ll get behind it… and the Ayoob is a no brainer. I was pissy about the last Ayoob sprint being PE, but hey I don’t think I had any cash at the time anyway.

I’m looking forward to seeing what we end up with. Hopefully the collectors will buy up the PE’s and leave the SE to those who need them!

J
Thanks for the kind words "J". I too was baffled as to why they only offered the 2011 Sprint Run, C-60 Ayoob in PE only. I just didn't get it at all because the C-60 Ayoob model had a reputation for being great in full SE. Because when my Spyder-Brother "Doc Snubnose" gave his testimony concerning how great his serrated version of the C-60 Ayoob was in a real meat cutting test it really got my attention. Not only him but over the years I've heard several testimonies as to how proficient that full Spyderedged version of the Ayoob model proved to be. I think it's definitely in the top 3 of all Spyderco models ever made as far as performance in SE. And it's also a really great blade in PE. It's one of the very few Spyderco models that I like just as much in SE as I do in PE.

Since I've been EDCing my 2011, G-10 handled Sprint Run for the past 4 months or so I've enjoyed using it immensely. And I'm looking so forward to the next full SE version coming our way. I just can't wait for this new one with a different blade steel when it finally gets here.

There was a time in the late 90s/early 2000s that virtually all of the Spyderco models were available in SE & PE both. I want to see that happen again at some point.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:57 am
jezabel wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:40 am

J
Thanks for the kind words "J". I too was baffled as to why they only offered the 2011 Sprint Run, C-60 Ayoob in PE only. I just didn't get it at all because the C-60 Ayoob model had a reputation for being great in full SE. Because when my Spyder-Brother "Doc Snubnose" gave his testimony concerning how great his serrated version of the C-60 Ayoob was in a real meat cutting test it really got my attention. Not only him but over the years I've heard several testimonies as to how proficient that full Spyderedged version of the Ayoob model proved to be. I think it's definitely in the top 3 of all Spyderco models ever made as far as performance in SE. And it's also a really great blade in PE. It's one of the very few Spyderco models that I like just as much in SE as I do in PE.

Since I've been EDCing my 2011, G-10 handled Sprint Run for the past 4 months or so I've enjoyed using it immensely. And I'm looking so forward to the next full SE version coming our way. I just can't wait for this new one with a different blade steel when it finally gets here.

There was a time in the late 90s/early 2000s that virtually all of the Spyderco models were available in SE & PE both. I want to see that happen again at some point.
I always remember Mark Greenman’s famous article on the Ayoob. It was mostly extolling the virtues of the PE, but he mentioned dismantling a sofa with the SE to get it out of his home. I remember being impressed at that story
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love a plain edge just as much as a serrated edge. this is why i typically carry two knives. if i only want to carry one, it's going to be serrated because i think se excels in emergency usage. if i carry two, it will be one of each and i'll likely only use the pe throughout the day because a se can do everything a pe can do, but a pe is generally more pleasant to use when you don't need teeth.

that said, certain knives (in my opinion) beg for specific edges. for example, i would never be interested an ikuchi with a spyderedge and i don't need a salt knife in a plain edge, even though i would still be happy with one as a low-maintenance backup to whatever se salt knife i'm also carrying. to me, the ayoob would be fine in either edge, but it is a knife that begs to be spyderedge. i realize this is subjective, but i'm right and everyone who disagrees is wrong. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

I have a older plain edge Almite Aluminum handled C60, I plan on hopefully buying two of the new C60 sprints in both edges, but if only one is in the works for me, it'll definitely be a serrated edge first!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:19 am
i love a plain edge just as much as a serrated edge. this is why i typically carry two knives. if i only want to carry one, it's going to be serrated because i think se excels in emergency usage. if i carry two, it will be one of each and i'll likely only use the pe throughout the day because a se can do everything a pe can do, but a pe is generally more pleasant to use when you don't need teeth.

that said, certain knives (in my opinion) beg for specific edges. for example, i would never be interested an ikuchi with a spyderedge and i don't need a salt knife in a plain edge, even though i would still be happy with one as a low-maintenance backup to whatever se salt knife i'm also carrying. to me, the ayoob would be fine in either edge, but it is a knife that begs to be spyderedge
I like your reasoning concerning how a serrated edge can be better for emergency uses and it can also do certain urgent jobs better than any plain edge can do especially if you are in a bind and need something cut fast.

The curve/belly of the C-60 Ayoob model gives you many advantages over most serrated models. This is the first time I've seen so many requests for a Sprint Run model to be done is PE & SE both. I think people that have never used a C-60 Ayoob model before are going to be pleasantly surprised at how great this blade design is in both edge types.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I may skip this as I have one of each from the prior two releases and even though I'd like to have one from each release, it might be better to leave one in the sea for the next person to get one. I'm still undecided. It may end up in a steel & color combo I cannot say "no" to.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:02 am
I have a older plain edge Almite Aluminum handled C60, I plan on hopefully buying two of the new C60 sprints in both edges, but if only one is in the works for me, it'll definitely be a serrated edge first!
You won't regret if you do elect to purchase both the SE & PE Ayoob models. I do think however you will find the G-10 handle to be more superior to that original Almite/aluminum handle. Even if you end up not liking one of the edge types you will quickly discover the "trade value" that particular model has on the trade markets like the one on Bladeforums for instance.

The SE version of the C-60 Ayoob model is probably the most versatile of all the Spyderco serrated models that I've ever used. I find a serrated model with some curve gives you special advantages. I've never had trouble finding someone to trade with when I've had extra units of the Ayoob model. I've even sold two of them to "non-knife" people ( hunting buddies).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here it is about two weeks before the USA Thanksgiving holiday and it's still eerily quiet concerning the progress of the C-60 Sprint Run. Sometimes the suspense can really get to a guy.

I now kind of hope it hits about the first of this next month>> I'll have a few more nickels to spare at that time.

I do believe this upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model will have more fanfare than the previous two runs of that model combined.

It reminds me of back in my youthful days when we would wait on pins and needles for the release of concert tickets like the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, ACDC, Blue Oyster Cult ect. It's going to be hard to make myself use and EDC the first one I get my hands on.